or Connect

Posts by The4HourGolfPro

The guy that thinks he's a PGA commentator:   He decides to say "ooooh," or "that's in!," followed by an "AWWE, so close!" every time I putt   or "NICE!!!" after my drive.    I appreciate the encouragement, but it's just causing me problems. What's worse is, it's hard to tell someone to quit encouraging you without sounding like a jerk. 
I had a bit of a revelation yesterday at the driving range. I'm sure most players go through this when their swing becomes second nature, and they begin focusing on actually hitting a target more, and less on just trying to not duff the ball. But it made me realize:   A lot of beginning players think that the ball is the target.    The ball is not the only thing we're trying to aim for. And I think that this intense focus on just hitting the ball is a reason why...
Practice and hard work is vital. BUT.    You also need to have an edge. When I used to day-trade, that's what you needed to put yourself just marginally above everyone else. Michael Phelphs won one of his gold medals by 1/100th of a second. Experiment and be creative. That's the approach I took, and I went from shooting 99 to breaking 80 in 3 months. 
In response to the 2 hour practice concept, I would say this:   For anyone that isn't a pro, practicing for that long (especially on your long swing) is going to be problematic. Muscle fatigue and repetitive motion is the number one cause for a loss in form for the short term. You would need an incredibly strong will to bring 100% mental focus and correct form to each shot (I'm guessing maybe 100 shots?) over the course of an hour and fifteen minutes.    Besides,...
Good point Motley, I do agree with what you're saying- to an extent. However, putting still uses the same muscles, tendons, and parts of your brain as any other swing in golf. Therefore, they all respond to certain body mechanics. We're all wired the same way, so some strategies are going to work better than others. I'm not saying that my technique is better, but simply worth trying if someone is considering a new putting style. 
Ah, good to know I'm on to something. I know most people I've played with have been very dogmatic about keeping tensed forearms and wrists. 
I've found the best results come from starting with putting, and working up to driving. This held true for not only myself, but for a lot of others as well.    Putting - Chipping - Short Irons - Long Irons/Hybrids - Woods seems to be the optimal routine for a few reasons   Putting allows you to warm up your muscles very slowly to prevent injury. Taking a very small, controlled swing improves your hand-eye coordination and helps your concentration for the rest...
Probably one of the first things that I learned when putting was to create a pendulum swing in order to keep my wrists from releasing at the end of my putt.    While this does work well (not only for me, but for most golfers) I decided that I'd try a different approach. Putting seemed like such an unnatural motion to me. And since putting is such a "game of feel," it only seemed right that I try a less regimented technique.   In a regular golf swing (iron/driver...
Hello all,   I've been playing golf for about 4 years and recently made a break-through in my golf game. I decided I would help some others with what I've learned, and am hoping to contribute to the golfing community. I'm by no means a pro or veteran, but I think people can appreciate and use advice coming from someone in the same boat as them.   My perspective simplifies golf, and I wrote a book about it called The Four Hour Golf Pro. I'll be putting up some...