or Connect

Posts by hendog

Mathematical average is rarely a useful stat for the reasons being expressed here. Standard Deviation, Median and other methods yield much better results (for example removing outliers such as topped drives, drives into a hazard or even extra long drives down wind or in unusual conditions).   Remember that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Numbers can be sliced and diced many ways to help prove whatever point you're trying to make.
Curious how people do this   Easiest is just to mentally take note of things that have been costing you strokes and working on them.   I've seen and currently use the Short Game / Long Game Handicaps to split it into those two areas.   Lately I've been going all OCD on it and breaking it into 6 areas: Tee Shots, Putting, Iron Accuracy, Iron Ball Striking, Club Selection and Chipping/Pitching. I'll go back through a round and attribute each dropped stroke to one...
 I think for the most part we are agreeing. I don't have the greatest mechanics but I am pretty good at making adjustments during a round. But if my tempo is all over the place then the results are all over the place and its harder for me to make an adjustment. If my tempo overall is consistent then the results start to normalize and if I am doing something mechanically wrong the evidence piles up and I can make an adjustment. So I guess I am saying that my tempo or lack...
 This made me laugh. Your head has a mind of its own :) I know the feeling.
I certainly won't sit here and tell you Tempo is the difference between a 20 handicap and a 10 but I know personally for me that a poor tempo can get in the way of what I am trying to do and add 3-5 strokes if the mistakes are big enough. Perfect example last weekend. Two almost identical par 3s. First one my tempo was perfect and I hit a 4i hole high and made birdie. Next one I got a little quick with my body and wiped it and was lucky it didn't get wet. Chipped it on and...
Try the Tour Tempo stuff. They have some nice tempo beats and songs for several different tempo ratios. As was said before, you can listen on your phone or ipod while you practice and just follow the beats. They have some good theory too on the ratio of the back swing and down swing. I have not used it religiously but I will come back to it from time to time or even just make the sounds myself if I get in a funk.   Bump, BumpBump. Bump, BumpBump.   Check it out and the...
"Stay There" "Be Right" "Come Back" "Keep Coming" "Hang On" "Go!" "STOP!!!" "Get Down!" "Get Up!" "Be Nice" "Sit Down"   These are but a few of the choice phrases that my ball and I use to communicate.
Ok I am out of your range but it was not long ago that I was in it. The way I made the jump was by eliminating the blow ups. Play smarter. Take my medicine when I hit a bad shot and get it back into the fairway rather than taking any more chances. Club down off the tee. And yes, short game is big especially if you are up in the upper 30's in putts but I almost found it better to worry less about it and just roll the ball instead of hovering over it and stressing about it....
IMHO, if you have played enough golf then this should be clear. Your best rounds don't come because you suddenly had 20 putts compared to your normal 34 or chipped in 5 times. The variances just aren't that big. Your best rounds are (usually) when you were in the zone off the tee.   I play with a guy (around 18-19 HI) who hits a huge slice. Always gets him in trouble and he's got an uphill battle on just about every hole. One round he just wasn't slicing it as bad and it...
I keep all-time stats (353 rounds over 10 years) and then stats for only those rounds that contribute to my handicap (so best 10 of last 20). Here are the stats from the latter with all-time in ( ):   Handicap: 9.3 Average GIR: 6.4 (5.18) Putts per hole: 1.73 (1.83) Putts per GIR: 1.92 (2.08) Average score: 82.1 (89.88) Par 3 avg: 3.66 (3.84) Par 4 avg: 4.69 (5.08) Par 5 avg: 5.18 (5.99) Fairways: 41% (38%) Birdies: 1.6 (.76) Pars: 7.3 (5.93) Bogies: 6.8...