or Connect

Posts by LovinItAll

I read a book once, 'Breaking 80', that you might be interested in picking up. It isn't full of swing tips or technique talk, but rather it focuses on simplifying one's thought process during a round and getting (and staying) in the mindset that helps break through barriers like breaking 80. It was written by a former tennis player who took up golf and wanted to improve without playing or practicing a lot. He ultimately decided that breaking 80 was the mark of a reasonably...
In Scotland, we saw guys playing golf with their dogs. I'd take mine out in a heartbeat if our course would allow it.We have a ton of geese here in Vegas. Had 'em in Memphis, too. I've never seen a goose get after anyone here, though there were a few aggressive honkers in Memphis.
  "Swinging more left (for a righty) will not add more draw spin, no. It'll add more cut spin."   No..Yes....Either of us saying this is like telling someone, "Acme Hardware is on your left if you're going down Main St." Depends on which way down Main one is heading. We clearly have different perspectives of the diagram.   'Swinging right' to me, from behind the ball, means swinging to right field for a righty. That's how I've always heard the reference.   How about...
  The diagram is exactly what I thought I said - maybe I didn't say it right.   "To produce right to left spin, the same golfer must strike the ball on the left side of the ball's 'vertical equator' = Pictures 4 & 7. A swing that produces draw. Don't 4 & 7 show left of the vertical equator? I was saying, "To produce the opposite of a slice, one must do this."   "Most slicers have this condition (if only by half a dimple or so). The problem for them is that their path is...
  Not sure if I just didn't understand what you wrote, but you can clarify if you think this is wrong:   - If a right handed golfer aligns his feet parallel to the target line, and if a line was drawn through the equator of the ball along the target line, a golfer will slice the ball if he strikes the ball on the right side of the ball's 'vertical equator'. Which direction the ball begins its flight will be determined by the angle of the clubface.   - To produce right to...
  And I'll bet that 10.5 degree 7 wood is an effective tool in your arsenal.   You must be related to the guy with the magic grits in 'My Cousin Vinny', except you have a magic 41" driver.
I think someone referenced it already, but Davis Love III used to talk about how he would hit driver 50, 100, 125, 150. etc. He may have done the same thing with other clubs, too. I've never been able to do it (haven't really tried THAT hard, but...). I think it would really improve one's tempo if they can do it consistently.   Any of the better players have an opinion about this?
  That's strictly a personal thing. I wouldn't think you were a jerk if you made me putt everything out, and I wouldn't think you were a jerk if you gave me the first (3) 24" putts and made me putt the next one after that.   Anyone who wants to play by all the rules should be allowed to do so without hassle. I think the OP's issue with the drop was reasonable cause for concern, and the other guy had the right to make the OP replay the stroke when the OP played out of...
  A gripped down 45"-46" driver shouldn't be 'unwieldy', and a 45"-46" driver shouldn't make someone with an already sound golf swing start hitting a banana ball.    Like I said, you keep playing your 41" driver and I'll keep playing my 44.5" driver. I'd suggest the OP get advice from someone other than me and definitely from someone who can at least break 80.
  Just to be clear, I don't think anyone here thinks you can't play. A .2 is a good player. As has been said, since you weren't recruited out of high school by this college, the coach has given you his recommendations for his consideration - play in the events he gave you, and if you don't make it this year, keep grinding away and try to make it next year. I won't go into the gory details, but I was discouraged by my coach from trying to make our highschool baseball team...