or Connect

Posts by 1484

Six was just a train wreck.  Yanked my drive left on the hillside by those traps on the left of the fairway.   Got too excited on the second shot with a hybrid trying to get it all back in one swing and topped it twenty yards.   Then hit the hybrid well to about a third of the way up the hill.  Had a completely blind shot for the 4th on which I hit a 5 iron up and over the hill and landed about twenty yards left of the green.  Chipped on and two putted for 7.  Not my...
Played Pebble Beach for the first time this weekend.  I have been fortunate enough to play Spyglass before and Spanish Bay twice but this was the first time at the Big Kahuna.   I have seen some other threads debating the relative "value" or "worth" of the green fee so I'll skip that and just say that while, absurdly expensive by any measure, I value experiences above all else you can acquire with money, and I will forever remember the day.  Speaking only for me (and...
Been struggling with the driver for months.  Multiple lessons, practice, etc.  I got fitted for irons last summer (JPX 825) and have loved them but had an RBZ (first gen) driver and didn't think I needed a new one.     After fighting the driver though for months while the rest of my game has slowly improved, I went and got fitted at PGA Superstore (The RBZ was a gift and not fitted for me).  In any case, the RBZ had a stiff shaft and my swing speed hovers high 80's to...
Agree with all of these.  Will add how nice it is to play 2 some or 3 some whenever you want without being paired.  That also factors into pace of play.    I joined a country club because it was less than 5 minutes from my front door.  The ability to leave my house at 6:45, play 18 and be home before 10 a.m. is priceless. The initiation fee + monthly/rounds played will NEVER pencil out but it's all about how much value you place on the convenience, access, relationships...
Whether they are cheap or expensive is up to you and your budget.  I will say though that I've found it helpful to have a pair dedicated just for golf.  I think golf is pretty hard on them.  I get a lot of sunscreen on them and I'm also forever switching between having them on and putting them up on the brim of my hat when, for example, you move onto a shaded green and want to see the contour of the green better and that sort of thing.  I keep my metal framed, more...
I just went through the same thing.  Broke 100 for first time in 2012, got really into it in 2013 and bought new clubs a few months ago.     I read the reviews and forums and so forth and had some ideas about what to buy, but in the end I think there is only one way to do this:  go someplace where you can try a bunch of clubs with a bunch of shafts and hit, hit, hit.  I though I was going to get the Callaway X Hot or the Taylormades based on reviews but ultimately bought...
First eagle of my golf career today!   500 yard par 5.  Crushed the drive 275 yards according to my Garmin S-1.  Second shot I knew I couldn't make it to the green, so I layed up perfectly to one side of the fairway and about 60 yards out.  Third shot was a 56 wedge.  I could tell I'd hit it well and was wondering how good a chance I'd have at birdie.  We walked up to the green and couldn't find the ball anywhere.  I was just be-moaning having gotten a weird bounce when...
Hey folks,   I have been struggling with consistency on the driver.  The good news is that I know what I'm doing wrong and generally have the same miss every time (varying degrees of smother hook, snap hook or just gentle hook).  My problem is not firing the hips and just swinging with my arms.  I'm getting really good results when I'm able to get the sequencing right but the hook always sneaks back in when I'm tired, not sufficiently loose, or just not paying enough...
No worries guys, I was not offended.  I normally play from the white tees because they are the right fit for my game at this point.  I play from the kids/ladies/forward/old guys tees when I'm with my kids just because it doesn't feel worth the hassle of using two tee boxes when I'm already sensitive to pace of play when I'm with my kids. Having said that, I think one of the reasons I've been able to fall in love with golf after starting late (40) is that I don't have much...
Friday I play 9 holes and can do NOTHING right.  Admittedly I was pretty hung over from the office holiday party but it was so bad I even had the dreaded shanks.  Shot 53 for 9 holes from my usual tees (the whites) which are 70.7/134.  Today I go out with my kid and play from the forward tees with her (67.6/124) and absolutely played out of my mind.  My goal for this year was to break 90.  Best round all year was 92 from the whites and I shot 82 today from the forward...