or Connect

Posts by Big C

Updating my prior post, I competed in my match play tournament yesterday. Those of you who have played the format know that it can be mentally draining and yesterday was no exception. I lost my first match 3 & 2, a round one exit to a tournament that I almost won last year. Unfortunately, I can't say that I deserved a better result The match started out poorly when I hit a bad drive and a bad approach to go 1 down on the first hole, which hurt my confidence. For the next...
Men's Club tournament - The "dreaded" orange ball. We play in groups of five using the two best net scores, plus the orange ball which rotates from player to player each hole. The orange ball is pressure with a capital "P" because your score contributes to the team, no matter how crappy it is.   I'm having a fairly good round, when I get the orange ball to play on hole 13. I promptly pull my drive left into a lake. Dropping 2, I am now hitting 3 from about 185 yards out....
Earlier is probably better for me as well. We will be in Chicago for Thanksgiving, which could affect my availability both the 23rd and 30th, depending on how long we stay.   @BENtSwing32, it's probably best described as a semi-competitive outing. Everyone's trying to play their best, but no one takes it too seriously. Plus, it's always nice to put a face to a screen name with a handful of other guys on the site. Hope you can make it.
It's been said many times already but it bears repeating: bring some cash - at least $60-80. Your member may not expect you to tip and the club may be a "no tipping" zone, but it's better to be over prepared than under-prepared.   I still remember the embarrassment of being invited to really nice private course in OC and having $3 bucks cash in my wallet when the member asked me if I wouldn't mind covering the tip for the attendants who cleaned our clubs after the round....
 I have no doubt that if you asked a cross sample of mid-skill golfers what their green % is from 150 out, they would overestimate their skills with alarming frequency. For me, I just try to think about my home course, which has par 3's of 146, 155, 180 & 190. When I recall the rounds I play in my head, I usually find that I've hit 0 or 1 greens. 2 greens means I was playing pretty well. And 3 or 4 is a world class (for me) ball striking day. And that's with a perfect...
Can they? Yes. Do they? Generally, no. Or so the statistics say...
Orange County has some doozies - my worst was Westridge, in La Habra. 2:30 tee off time, but we actually teed off closer to 2:50. By the time we finished the 9th hole, it was past 6pm. There were several tee boxes with multiple groups waiting and not a marshall or a cart girl to be found. I have never been back, although I've heard the place is under new ownership and has improved the player experience. All the same, I get the golf version of PTSD when I think about that...
Good thread, David! I always enjoy reading about others' tournament experiences. Typically the best triumphs (and sorrows) in golf come when there is a little pressure on the line.   Myself, I played in our men's club monthly tournament yesterday. I shot the epitome of a ho-hum round, with a double on the front and back, one birdie and a smattering of pars of bogies. Final score was an 84 (net 74).   One of the things I struggle with, even in fairly innocuous events...
 I agree with your first paragraph, but not with your second. If there is a player who is clearly better than the field, he will rightly be the club champion until the rest of the membership improves enough to compete with him, or until he gets bored and joins a club with better competition. I think a club championship should always be played off gross regardless of how the strokes differ from club to club.
In our club, the Club champion is the winner of a 3 day stroke play event. Low Gross total. They also have an "A" and a "B" flight, both of which play off net. You can choose to play net or gross when signing up, but almost everyone below a 4 index chooses the gross. And it is generally recognized that the gross winner is the only "true" champion.   My club also has a match play championship that runs from August - November. We have 80 participants and 5 flights, so the...