or Connect

Posts by Big C

Good stuff. It seems like I'm in the minority predicting that you will win, so be sure to post back here afterwards and let us know how it goes!
 I'm sure the specific strategy would have to depend on the strengths and weaknesses of the individual player, but your overall assessment is correct. If you hit it in the water on your first shot, you may as well take a wedge out and hit your second shot 115 yards down the fairway, because the only alternative is that you will make the situation worse. I will say that for a player like me (capable of great golf shots, followed by atrocious misses), worst ball is a real...
 Don't you think that that odds of a bad result (for the sake of discussion, let's say "bad" refers to any leave of 5 feet or longer) are greater with a very delicate/tricky putt as opposed to a more straightforward putt, even if the straight putt is longer? Obviously "tricky" means different things to different people, but what I am referring to is that 12 foot putt where you stand over the ball thinking "there's a one in 10 chance that I make this, but if I don't hit the...
  Since I assume that you will be telling him which shot to play, the main piece of advice I can offer would come on the putting green. You're much better off giving your opponent a shorter/trickier putt as opposed to a long straightforward one. Outside of 10 feet, he is very unlikely to 1 putt anything, so you want to maximize the chances that he 3 putts whenever possible. If I'm looking at a 30 footer straight uphill vs a 12 footer downhill with a delicate left to right...
Probably a safe rule of thumb in most cases, but I think you are under-estimating how difficult it is to play a worst ball. Take the word "pro" out of the equation and you're left with a 3 handicapper. A good golfer, no doubt, but still someone who is going to make his fair share of mistakes. A guy who's likely to shoot around a 38 playing his own ball. Give him 38 chances to screw up again and he'll probably oblige on a handful of them.
 I'll second this. I played a worst ball by myself about 6 months ago. It was late afternoon, the course was open and it was something I had always wanted to try. The first hole gave me a rude awakening about how difficult it was going to be. After hitting two great pitches from 50 yards, I thought I was sitting pretty with two balls less than 6 feet from the hole and a decent chance at an up & down par. I selected the tougher of the two, a 5 foot sidehill putt with plenty...
I guess it's better to have some sense slapped into by this board than by my wife. I'll rescind the suggestion.
When I think back to my best rounds, almost every one of them was dominated by superior iron and wedge play, including a 76 a few years ago where I spent half the holes hitting my second shot from the trees.   Honestly, on most of the courses that I play (wide open munis), driver is probably the least critical club in my bag because even my bad drives will put me close enough to the green to have a realistic chance at par. The script changes a bit on a tight course with...
Yep, I think Jeff expressed a preference for May 2nd, but if he can play the 9th, then it seems as though we could accommodate everyone's schedule. @jefkve - does the 9th work?
I've never heard of either DeMarco or Olsen before. I did listen to the interview and found Olsen to have very little credibility. He was vague and elusive in his statements. DeMarco had several opportunities within the interview to press Olsen for more details or to be more direct in his assertions (for example, Olsen repeatedly implied that Tiger was cheating by using a non-conforming ball, but he never directly said that) and he never took those opportunities. Both came...