or Connect

Posts by Big C

Did you secretly start this thread to name drop all the courses you have been playing?
Half the players handicap in response to your question 1. No idea in response to your question 2. Sounds like whoever set that competition up screwed up pretty good.
I am looking for a fun course near downtown to entertain some business associates. Currently, my decision is a toss up between Fossil Trace and Fox Hollow. We will be playing in September, if that helps.   I'd love to try out the Broadmoor GC, but with more than an hour of travel time between Denver and Colorado Springs, we can't make that work.   Any thoughts are appreciated!
 Not an unrealistic plan for big hitters who drive the ball well. I played the course in May and reached 2 of the par 5's in two and a greenside bunker in two on another. Still managed to put up an 83 due to some atrocious putting, but low scores are very attainable on this course.
Hey guys. Encinitas Ranch is a fun course and a bit more geographically desirable for the LA folks than Coronado was, so I'm glad we ended up here. I'm about 75% certain I will make, but will need until August 1st to confirm for certain, due to family commitments that are still up in the air. My July 15th index is 9.6, btw.
 Thanks for the clarification, and that makes sense to me. Perhaps it's just semantics, but I try my hardest to avoid thinking about ANY score when I'm in a competitive situation and that philosophy goes both ways. If I rip a drive inside of 200 yards on par 5, I don't want to be thinking "lets make birdie/eagle here." And likewise, if I pull my drive into an impossible tree lined area, I don't ever want to say "let's just get out of here with bogey." Rather, I just want...
 No offense intended, because you are a much better golf than I am, but I think this is terrible advice for tournament play. Playing  for "bogey or better" (or any score for that matter) is a surefire way to put up a lot of bogeys, and it won't ever eliminate the blowups. I will grant you that on a tough hole with lots of trouble, I don't mind making a more conservative approach and being happy with a bogey result. But I don't ever think taking the mindset of "don't make...
The worst I've done personally was go all "Bo Jackson" on my 60 wedge. It was about three years ago when I first started taking golf seriously and playing tournaments. At the time, I didn't fully understand how hard this game was, and thought that I should be better than I was. So after a day full of terrible chips/pitches, I bladed an easy greenside chip for what felt like the hundredth time and in one seamless motion raised the club with two hands and snapped the shaft...
I agree with Cipher. I've played the Straits twice and the Irish once. The Straits course is so beautiful that you want to really enjoy the walk and take in the surroundings. There is nothing that will detract from the experience more than having to search in the brush and gorse every other hole to find your ball. Play a set of tees that will allow you to hit 3 wood and the occasional long iron off the tee and keep the ball in play. Even on a perfect day, the wind will...
There are lots of adjectives I could use to describe the experience - for the most part it was enjoyable, at times frustrating & disappointing, and it was definitely always challenging - but I think the best descriptor would be eye opening. Eye opening in the sense of how tough it really is at my level to maintain focus and play good consistent golf for 3 days.   I'll keep my summary brief. I started out of the gate a bit slowly on Day 1, but went red hot on the back to...