or Connect

Posts by Big C

In terms of sheer intensity, the Tiger double fist pump on the 72nd hole of Torrey Pines 2008 is a tough celebration to top.
When I hit a shot poorly enough that I can feel it at impact, I have a tendency to let go of the club with my right hand and do a one armed follow through as a way of showing my displeasure. If the contact is bad enough, I sometimes let go with my both hands after the swing is complete. Most of the time, the club falls harmlessly behind me (and I guess I've justified the bad habit by telling myself it's better than throwing the club). However, one time I apparently "let...
No, the risk of damage is not worth the reward. That said, if I ever buy a new set of clubs down the road, I think that keeping my old clubs and renting them out for a modest fee sounds like a fine idea.
I disagree with most of what has been posted here. About a year and a half ago, I made a specific effort to focus on improving my mental game. I agree that the term is generic - but what it meant for me specifically was that I was playing worse golf in my  pressure rounds than I was in my casual rounds. With a similar index to what I hold now, it was not uncommon for me to shoot anywhere from a net 78 to a net 85 in tournament rounds. I could literally feel more tension in...
It sounds like a decent "quick fix" if somebody is having severe problems with distance control, but I wouldn't stake my putting future to his method. For one, it's still basically guesswork. Do you know what feet 6 inches apart looks like? 12? 24? Most don't with any degree of precision. Any how do you account for slope, green speed, etc? Basically, you are trading "feel" for a rough guide. But if the guide isn't accurate, I'd argue it's no better (and probably worse over...
Yes
It depends on what kind of experience you are going for. If money is no object then Aviara, Maderas and La Costa are worthy options. They are beautiful courses, but most of the locals will tell you that they are overpriced at $150-250 a pop.   If you are on a budget, I'd consider Riverwalk, Encinitas Ranch or Mt. Woodson, all of which will give you better "bang for your buck," but aren't quite as pristine as the aforementioned.   The Crossings is sort of middle ground...
I was lucky enough to play the South course about a year ago. I didn't find it to be unfair or overly punitive. If anything, I found it to be the opposite. Good shots left me scoring opportunities, bad shots left me with brutal recoveries and/or approaches. Most of the difficulty was in the length (6,800 from the white tees, if I recall), but the course itself was extremely fair and the golf was enjoyable. If I were a San Diego resident, I'd play there as often as I...
I might be in favor of a proposal that counted all "T" scores twice. It wouldn't affect the average golfer or the vanity capper much, but it would nail the baggers who shoot net 66's when the stakes are highest
If he's shooting a legit 80, then he's a 5-10 handicap in my book. Relative statements like "I couldn't make a putt to save my life" or "my driver deserted me" are fairly meaningless to me. If dan scores like a 5-10 handicap then that's what he is.