or Connect

Posts by SoundandFury

The first time I play forward tees I'm not used to (usually when playing with someone who's a shorter hitter or higher hdcp), I always score worse.  Bringing trouble into play I normally can't reach, leaves me in between clubs a lot, etc.  
Because of a lifelong lack in what polite society considers good judgment, I would likely descend to their level and have had very strong words.  Enough of those shots run up on me and there's a chance one gets fired back, or at least thrown out of bounds.     Kids or not.  
Best visual is a set of railroad tracks.  Target line is one rail, feet are on the other.  If you set up with the club face square to the target and your shoulders/feet pointing at your target, you're set up closed.  
 Besides this being faulty logic, it's wholly inaccurate.  Golf courses are designed for the player to have a certain yardage into the green.  Under your neighbor's logic, LPGA pros should be playing 7500 yard courses and hitting 3W into greens on par 4's.  The reason for the additional tee boxes is so someone playing from the tips and someone playing from the whites have a similar second shot.   The idea that you're not "playing the course as it was designed to be played"...
I think this is spot on, and pretty much how I choose a tee box.  I'm long, but I still don't want to hit 4 irons into half of the par 4's (just like I don't necessarily want to have SW into all of the par 4's).  
I don't think tee selection has to do with hdcp as much as it does with length.  If you can hit the ball long enough to have a short iron into greens from any given tee box, then it's probably not too long for you.  That being said, length and skill pretty much go hand in hand.  Not too many 30 cappers hitting 280 tee shots.  
Having got to the singles this year (then back up, and now going down at a good pace), eliminating mistakes is probably the biggest.  If you're an 11 hdcp you can hit a golf ball better than most.  Obviously more practice, short game, blah blah, will make you better, but the in my opinion the biggest thing is playing smart.  Learn where to aim so that when you miss, you're in play with a decent shot.  Aim for the middle of greens when the pin is short or on the wrong side...
+1 to this.  Golf's hard.  It's the only activity I can think of where you can be so good one day and so bad the next.  Happens to everyone, including tour pros.  
Oh, those are DEFINITELY pulls (sarcasm didn't go through the inter webs).  Usually happens when I'm hitting to a right pin and really don't want to short side myself.  
Lol.  Best response winner.  And yeah, I'm exactly the same.  Especially when the ball is below my feet with a SW or GW and play for the fade...guaranteed hook.