or Connect

Posts by ay33660

Just shot a 79 today.   +1 on the front nine and then started to think about how good I was doing on the back 9 and shot a +6 on the back.   Normally I shot a lot better on the back than the front.   Dropped a whole stroke on my index from 12.7 to 11.7 as I had to post a 78 due to a triple on a par 5.
What I have really noticed is that with today's technical gear the bulky clothing is gone.   I can play in the 30s with wind wearing only a base layer, long sleeve shirt, and lined sweater. If it gets really windy I will add my Galvin Green rain jacket.   I also wear my rain pants if it gets really wind.   I find the Galvin Greens really warm without the bulk.
 My club allows jeans everywhere except on the practice area and golf course. This is our definition of the type of jeans that are acceptable - "Jeans that are excessively faded and/or having frayed hems, rips, tears, holes, wrinkled or dirty are NOT acceptable." The main reason our club changed to allow for jeans was an economic one (I read all the BOD minutes). We were seeing a decline in the use of the club's dinning facilities. A survey was sent out and one of the...
 Private clubs are slow to change because the majority of those on the Board of Directors were actually teenagers when Perry Como and Dinah Shore were POP stars. It will take time for the next generation to begin to take control of the Boards. Younger members just don't have the time nor the votes needed to get onto the Boards. Unfortunately until the old fart die away we are still stuck in the Leave it to Beaver code of dress.
Just a quick comment on what a "suspension" means.   At our club if you are suspended you can still come and dine, attend social functions etc.   It is your golf booking and playing privileges that are suspended.   I don't know what the consequences of a "suspension" at that club is but just wanted to point out it may not preclude them from the holiday social events.   Also as to the "stigma" of a suspension or letter from the Board of Directors. There are a couple...
Policies of the club are set by the Board of Directors and not just the President.   The Board of Directors (BOD) should reflect the general attitude of the members.   Often the BOD do not because - 1) there is no set time limit that a director can remain on the BOD and an established group maintains control for years and years or 2) even with set term limits, a set group of members (usually the older members) could maintain control over the BOD for long periods of...
  Note the golf balls on the ice. Around 34 F when we teed off. Had trouble getting the tee into the ground. No wind so it was ok.
  34F when I teed off today.   Notice the two balls in the water .... on the ice.
 Opps was typing my response at the same time. You are correct in stating that richer people are not as affected. My wife keeps on telling me that I am too often afflicted with first world problems and my sense of reality is clouded ..... except I would not classify myself as rich by any means. Now some of the other members at my club are definitely rich.
 Yes Vancouver is very expensive. A 100 by 120 foot bare lot will cost you $3.5M on the west side of Vancouver. My point was that even at those ridiculously high prices there is still a demand. While Vancouver is expensive it is still relatively cheap compared to Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong where golf club memberships costs over $1M if you can get invited in. I have played at some private clubs in Seattle and it was my impression that their initiation costs are similar.