or Connect

Posts by PiKapp23

Wilson Staff and Adams get my vote. Wilson, within the Staff line, has made good irons for the last several years, although they have not done as well with their hybrids and woods. They also have the new TW wedge that has gotten good reviews. Adams has such a reputation as making clubs only for old guys (a rep not helped by the fact so may Champions Tour players endorse them), but really make great clubs now for people of all levels. I know several pros are now...
The only downside is that many players feel like they have more control over the head with a shorter shaft because their hands are closer to the head. However, it's really a personal choice. Look at Robert Garrigus, who I would guess is a little over 6 foot and is using a putter that is 29 inches (maybe shorter) and of course now lots of players are using belly and long putters with success. It's all about finding a putter that fits you comfortable, confident putter stance...
I read something a few years ago about Tom Watson and he says he is a 'sweeper' more than a 'digger', taking small, shallow divots and then only with his wedges and irons. I have not watched closely enough to notice how big his divots are, so I'm not sure. I used to be a 'sweeper', but about a year ago I changed my swing and started taking divots. My ball striking has improved so much it's scary since I began doing this. I very seldom catch a ball truly 'fat' now,...
As you stated, choosing a putter is a personal preference and he best thing you can do is just try as many different models and configurations as possible. However, some things to think about:Insert vs. no insert - this has become a big personal choice thing for many golfers. Most inserts are a little softer than the metal used in the rest of the putters and will create a different sounds and feel than non-insert putters. Some people believe that distance control is...
All changes and improvement take patience and time. Many people don't improve because they aren't improving on a timeline they like and give up or change something else. If you're doing the right things (and your instructor will know this better than anyone on here and probably better than you), just stick with it. Chances are one day soon you'll have one of those rounds where all these changes just start to 'click' and the scores will happen. I went through this myself...
I would highly recommend a hybrid - probably a 4H (around 23* loft) since that is what usually replaces a 3i distancewise, although in some brands/models you might find a 3H fills the gap. Because there are so few standards in golf equipment this can be a guessing game at times. I have always found a 4H is close to the same distance as a well struck 3i, but with a higher trajectory and MUCH more forgiving. A 7W might also be a similar gap filler but might be longer (like...
Nice going. Welcome back. If your ball striking is consistent enough then you should definitely look for something in a 'players iron' just because they tend to have a slightly higher center of gravity and thus a little lower trajectory ball flight. I am personally a huge believer in Mizunos, but most manufacturer's make something that will work. As for shafts I think the TT Dynamic Gold shafts are probably the best choice as they are a little heavier and not tip soft. I...
Last week I had my first 4 putt (almost a 5 putt) in at least a year, maybe a couple years. It was a par with big sloped green and I was a long way off on a green that is normally much faster than other greens on course. The green was wet and slow despite being a downhill slider so my first putt came up about 20 feet short (yea, I know I'm that good). Second putt was still about 6 feet short (on days when that green is fast that's about the point where putts will often...
You're going to lose some distance by going to a 15/16* hybrid over 3 wood. Just because it's the same loft doesn't mean it'll have same distance. You'll probably give up 10-20+ yards of distance (probably closer to the 20+). I would recommend looking at a 4W instead. It's much easier to hit off turf than most 3W and will be longer and higher than most 1H/2H. I played a 15* hybrid for a while, but because they are a lower trajectory and shorter shaft it lost quite a bit of...
For these type of greens it helps to the ball rolling forward as quickly as possible. The backspin that is generated by the initial stroke slows the ball down and also causes bounces and unexpected results often on imperfect greens. There are a couple ways to do this. One way is to either buy a putter with more loft or have your putter adjusted to add a degree or 2 more loft. Another is to check out the putters that claim to generate top spin off the face (including the...