or Connect

Posts by PiKapp23

I went through the new driver purchase process a few months back and tried each of these drivers (as well as just about everything else made). I have always liked Taylor Made drivers just because of the very solid feel and sound on impact. From that perspective I liked the 4 models mentioned (counting both 07 and 09 Buners). All had a good feel. However, I hated the 2 Burner models because of that damn decal on top. It is to distracting. For shape and look I prefer the...
Chipping went from being one of the worst parts of my game to one of the best a few years ago with one little change. Try putting the ball back in your stance with your weight almost completely on your front foot. This helps ensure ball-first contact and with a little practice I think you'll find this a very easy way to chip. Once you can do this consistently with one club, try Tom Watson's method of using different clubs based on who far onto the green the pin is....
I carry a MP-T and MP-R and really like both wedges a lot. They have a great feel, although they do not spin as much as my old Vokey or Cleveland CG14. I think the MP-R is a better wedge for bunker play, thin lies or rough (the leading edge is slightly curved), but the MP-T is better out of the fairway (flatter leading edge on that model). I think you'll be happy with your new wedge.
The Adams Tom Watson wedges are a really good deal. You can find a 52/56/60 set for around $100 or less at a lot of places. They are nice wedges and hard to beat for the price. Watson himself plays at least one of them and since he's among the best wedge players in history (no one has every scrambled any better than him), I'm inclined to think they must be OK. I friend of mine plays them and likes them a lot.
Wow! 2 months in and you're already in the 80's and 90's? That's very good. There are a lot of golfers that never get to that point in their life (even regular golfers). Stick with it and I hope you continue to progress at that rate. You'll be a scratch or better in no time.
Straight shots are almost never a bad thing so I would think the FT-i is the better choice. The stock FT-5 is not that much better at working the ball anyway and the FT-i is definitely straighter. If you struggle with getting drivers to go straight then this is your best option among the 2. The only thing I ever disliked about the FT-i is he sound. Also, pay attention to the shafts available. The FT-5 seems to have more shafts available off the rack than the FT-i.
In theory you'll be giving up some distance going from 3 wood to 15* hybrid (1H), because of the shaft length and the design differences (it probably compares closer to a 4W distancewise). Just how much distance you'll be giving up depends on your swing and the consistency with which you hit the sweet spot. From my own experience with a 15* 1H a few years ago, I found that I was giving up 15 yards, maybe slightly more compared to when I hit the 3W perfectly. At that time I...
I am playing a 4 wood currently (Nike Dymo) and must say I love it. It's so much easier to hit off turf than 3 wood because the head is smaller and it has a higher trajectory from all shots. There is a little distance lost, but not that much that I have found - 10 yards might be about right. When I was playing a 3 wood I didn't hit it very often off turf because if it was not a really good lie I could get just as much distance with my 4H. Now I use the 4 wood on 2nd shots...
It depends on what you're looking for. I play 3 Mizuno irons, the 17* (2H) in steel and the 23* and 26* in graphite. If control is your main interest then steel is a good choice. I use my 17* off the tee as alternative driver and like the steel because of a lower trajectory and I at least feel more in control. With the other 2 I like graphite because I want them to fly high and land soft. The 17* probably plays more like a 20* (3H) because of the steel and that's how I use...
Shaft flex is always a big question mark. Swing speed alone doesn't indicate what flex you should be using because it depends on your tempo, backswing to downswing transition as well as what 'feels' right to you. I remember reading an article in the last year or so about Hot Stix (club fitting company out of Scottsdale, AZ) that said they usually recommend with a driver to go with a stiffer flex than the normal swing speed table recommends. Of course the only time the...