or Connect

Posts by PiKapp23

Also worth looking at is the Mizuno irons MX-23 and MX-25. Both are great game improvement irons that are a few years old (and thus you can get them for a good price), but are more playable than most GI irons on the market. The MX-200 is also in that same vein, but because it's a newer model they are still a little pricier. If you haven't previously hit Mizuno irons you should just to experience the feel.
How 'bout a 4W (17*) and 3H (around 20*) instead? A 4W is easier to hit off fairways than a 3 without giving up much distance. Adding it would allow you to add a hybrid to your bag to either replace your 3I or complete your bag. Typically a 3H will be longer than a 3I by 1/2 to 1 full club so that could provide a good gap between the 4W and your current 3I. A hybrid is much easier to hit consistently than a 3I and with a higher ballflight. Because of the shorter shaft it's...
I said "something in between", but it would completely depend on all situations involved, such as how deep/thick rough is, how fast green, my lie, how much room is around pin, etc. Normally I would probably try to hit a ball to the front of the green or fringe and let it release toward hole, but if ball is perfect and rough not too bad I might try a lob.
My all-time favorite has always been Tom Watson (and no - not just because of this year's Open). He was the best player in the game about the time I first started to become interested in golf. He's quite possibly the classiest, nicest guy to ever play the game professionally. Additonally, I always loved the way he played. He was always a pretty long driver but not the most accurate. However, he was definitely one of the best short game players ever. No one got up-and-down...
I have always enjoyed playing in the rain (providing it's not too cold or so hot that rain gear becomes miserably hot). I have played a lot of good rounds in rain. I am a patient player and rain just doesn't affect me so I tend to play pretty well while those I play with become sloppy. Over the last few years I have found I really enjoy playing in 'bad' conditions - high wind, rain, high heat and even cold. These conditions make the game interesting because you have to...
The only thing I collect anymore at all is golf course logo balls (and only those I've played). I now have about 150 or so logo balls and always make sure to play a few new courses every year so i can get some new ones. I also have logo balls for some special events - Open Championship (St. Andrews), Ryder Cup, Masters, US Open (Torrey Pines), Memorial and a couple others I can't think of. I enjoy collecting logo balls and they are cheap (which is good since the rest of...
I think the one change that has really benefitted me the most is finally learning to hit down on the ball (taking divot after the ball). For the last few years I have been pretty consistent scorewise, but as a longtime 'sweeper' of the ball when I was a little off or had non perfect lie I struggled with my irons, hitting lots of fat and thin shots. Last winter something just 'clicked' and I figured out how to correctly do it (somehow I figured this out on a simulator at...
I finally decided I was going to buy the R9 (or R9 460) and went to store. I hit the R9 20-30 shots on simulator when one of the guys who works at the store came over. He asked how I liked the R9 460 I was hitting then suggested I try the Dymo STR8-FIT. I explained I hated Nike and he said to give it a try with an open mind. After about 10-15 balls switching back and forth between the R9 and STR8 I realized I really liked the Nike better (*gasp*). I then hit both on the...
Of the newest models you can look at it like this - this list is from max 'workability' to max 'forgivness': -workability- MP-67 MP-62 MP-57 MP-52 -forgivness- I currently play the MP-60's (in short irons), which would be between the MP57 and MP-62 (but closer to the 57). I have hit just about every model of Mizuno MP that has been on the market for the last 5-7 years or so. Personally, my favorites were the MP-60's and 57's. I also really liked the MX-52's,...
Yes, a soft tip or 'low kick point' will result in a higher ball flight in most cases, which is not bad unless you typically play in windy conditions or already have a high ball flight. A lot of times these type of shafts will play very similar to a regular flex shaft (but possibly with a little more control). The good thing about this is that it may allow you to slow down you swingspeed resulting in more accuracty and (and probably better tempo) without losing any...