or Connect

Posts by ERLoft

I think you should go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.  If you can swing it, I'd have the G20 wedges from the set AND the TaylorMade wedges.  Which ones you put in the bag on any given day would depend on the course and conditions.  If you have both sets also, you can really get a feel for them and know the distances each one goes.   Myself, I play the set listed below.  As you can see, I have CB long and mid irons, a MC 7i and MB blade short irons....
Played Saturday @ Coronado GC - 70.1/117   Shot 41-41 - 82   Couldn't drive the ball for crap.  Two fairways all day - one with a 5 iron.  Hit decent iron shots and short game was good other than one pitch where the club went right under the ball, which led to my only double of the day.   Been playing pretty good of late and flirting with 80, but just not able to break it. Might help if I could make a couple of birdies.  I've only had one in my last 5 rounds :(
Shot 81 (39-43, 68.9/125) this morning on dawn patrol, which normally would be a score to make me reasonably happy.  Today though, was a, 'someone give me the Heimlich' ending.  After teeing off before sunrise and recording 7 straight pars (missed 3 birdie putts inside of 15'...) I made a couple of bogeys to finish the front side, missing 10'-15' putts to save par in each case.     The back 9 wasn't as good, but even so I was +5 teeing off on #16 needing only a...
I'm in the same handicap range as you and am very happy with the Taylor Made Tour Preferred irons I got this summer.  Sadly, the Tour Preferred CB, which is a forged club was replaced by the R11, which isn't.  Of course, whether or not you'd want to do the full cavity back irons on the long irons depends on your game in any case, since there's a ton of different ways to get to a 12 handicap :)     I hit the Titleist and Mizuno as well as Callaways, Adams and...
I was at an indoor range last Saturday on the launch monitors and found what I hope will help get my driving more consistent.  I noticed that during my 'regular' swing, my hands were pretty low at the top of the backswing, maybe in a 'laid off' position.  My clubhead speed was in the mid to high 90's, but my shots were primarily weak fades that finished well right of the target and only averaged 245 or so.  I worked to get my hands higher at the top of the backswing -...
Played Sunday @ Torrey Pines North - 70.8/125 - Shot a pretty disappointing 90.  Highlights/lowlights:   3 putted the par 5 first for bogey.  Not the best start.  Fortunately, it was my only 3 putt of the day. Birdied the 354 yard par 4 5th.  A 3 iron to the middle of the fairway left me 162 out, downhill, into about a 10 mph breeze.  Hit a choked down 6 iron to about 18 feet above the hole and made the downhill putt for birdie and 3 skins. Tried to play...
Let's see here...    Last week @ Riverwalk Friars course on the 3rd hole, a short dogleg left par 4 over water, I tried to cut the corner, ended up on the other side of the pond by the 4th green.  Hit a nice SW from 95, watched it land just behind and above the hole, spun back in for an eagle.   Sunday @ Torrey Pines North, 10th hole, 404 yard par 4.  Hit a poor, short faded drive, but landed almost dead center.  Back center flag, 187 to the middle of the green....
At the range, I generally do the same warm up as a pre-round session - start with say my 52*, hit 2-3 shots, then move up 2 clubs, hit 2-3 shots etc. until I get to my driver.  After that, I 'play' the first few holes of the course I'm playing next - I set up fairway boundaries, tee off, then play from my new 'lie' until I'm within pitching or chipping range.     If I'm purely practicing, I may hit a number of the shots with the same club while trying to dial it in,...
It's about 45 minutes from downtown Pasadena, but one of my favorites up there is:   http://www.lostcanyons.com/   Freddy and Pete Dye did the courses there.  Tough, beautiful and fun - as long as you're hitting it decent.  Top end prices are sub $100, which is pretty decent for SoCal.   Welcome to the land of year around golf!
81 at Riverwalk Mission/Friars (70.7/129) this morning.  Pretty decent, but I had a legitimate shot at breaking 80, so it was disappointing not to pull that off...  Highlights/lowlights:   Got a fried egg lie in the greenside bunker on 4 with the ball way below my feet, one foot in the bunker, one foot out.  Hacked it out past the flag to the fringe, but made the 25 footer down the hill for a sandy par. Totally topped my drive on #9 - had to lay up twice -...