or Connect

Posts by bjwestner

Thank you for the insight.  I guess my point was that while I was initially disappointed that I was not hitting the 7 iron as far as the last 7 iron, that all irons are not created equal, but there is still the psycological impact of knowing that your x iron is not going as far as the x iron in the previous set.  Once I compared loft versus loft I realized that the number on the bottom is not as important. As you pointed out CG has a huge impact among other things - for...
I know there is already a thread of how far you hit your irons, but the problem is that each iron is not the same loft and in some cases there can be more than a one club difference depending on what irons you a using.  Distance sells and each year the manufacturers come out with new lines bragging how they are x yards longer, yet the "loft creep" seems to be continuously decreasing.   I just made the switch from TM Speedblades, which were very good irons to more of a...
Made a change in my bag almost two weeks ago and it has been paying dividends immediately....I got rid of the 3h and ordered a used (practically brand new though) Titleist 913F 5 wood off Ebay.  Because I no longer have a 3 wood that I hit off the deck (I have the mini driver that I do not hit off the deck), the 3h was as far as I could hit a shot not on a tee.  I was getting pretty good distance but needed/wanted a bit more and also wanted more club.  I love this 5 wood...
It's been a while since I posted.  Glad people are enjoying.  I got a great question about something I posted in 2013 regarding extension of my arms with my driver and so I copied/pasted my answer along with what I've been working on lately with my irons below.  I've ramped up my practice and am going to the range at least 3 times per week now and I can really tell the difference versus going once per week.  Unfortunately it's been cold/rainy here lately so my scores have...
Update: have still been hitting balls at least twice per week and playing at least two rounds on the weekends for the past few weeks.  I continue to improve, although it's not as obvious as it was before and sometimes I don't necessarily notice it until a friend or playing partner points something out to me.  My handicap is officially at 6.0 and after this past weekends rounds I finally have it trending to less than 6 as it's at 5.9L!   I have kinda of gone through this...
 Thanks for the kind words Will....good luck with your game!  Golf is unlike many sports in that almost everyone can hit a shot that a pro would hit and does so from time to time.  The difference is that the pro's hit those shots consistently while amateurs hit those shots with less consistency.  It's not like basketball where everyone dunks at some point and the consistency of dunking improves in the pro's.  Even golfers that are 20+ handicaps hit holes in one every once...
Update:  I've been continuing to hit balls twice during the week and then spending about two hours or so on Friday nights working on short game.  I was able to play quite a bit of golf in the last week as I played last Wednesday morning before work, and then played a round on Saturday, Sunday, and yesterday the holiday.  The greens at my country club were aerated about three weeks ago but they have been healing very quick which has been good.  They are not quite back to...
Good question....I noticed this recently too and decided that I wanted to keep my PW, AW, and LW consistent as I occasionally change the iron set I'm using.  Thus all my wedges will not change and that's one less club that changes if my irons change.  I ordered a 46 degree 588 rtx cb Cleveland PW that was to my specs.  I have a 52 degree gap wedge and a 58 Cleveland smart sole wedge.  I also have a 42 degree Chipper/utility club that rounds out my wedges.  Those four stay...
I've gone from never hitting a golf ball to currently a 6.4 handicap in 2 years, 2 months, and 17 days.  I did it without lessons so far.  When I first started playing golf, I did research and it seems like most people were telling me to get lessons.  After reading a few books and thinking about things logically, I realized that until my hand/eye coordination improved so that I could hit the back of the ball consistently that I would probably not gain much from lessons...
After a round on Saturday and then a round on Sunday, both at my country club, my hc is officially at 6.4 and trending at 6.4L.  I shot 79 both rounds this past weekend.  I also made some changes to what is in the bag.  In an effort to better space out my wedges, I bought a 46 degree Cleveland 588 cb pitching wedge and a 52 degree too.  I then have a 58 degree Cleveland smart sole wedge and a 42 degree one that I really don't use that much but have kept in the bag for the...