or Connect

Posts by sofingaw

Louis Oosthuizen shot a 57 in a practice round at his home course in South Africa a few years back. You can see the scorecard on his website, which is named for the round. www.louis57oosthuizen.com It's surreal to look at!
What did Phil shoot at Phoenix this year? 60? He was a grand total of about .75 inches off on two putts that would have made it a 58. Everyone remembers the lip out on the last, but on 16 or 17 he missed another bird by much less than an inch.
Stick with just one. Make the repetition one of the worst things about it. 
I'd try to have a stock catch phrase at the ready, and just hit him with it relentlessly when he starts. Don't worry about being witty or matching him shot for shot verbally. Just something like:   'Stay Classy San Diego'   'Yeah, you sure ARE garbage!'   'Keep it juicy.'    'Mashed potatoes, man, mashed. pot-ate-oooos....'   'Got em' coach!'   Make it basically nonsensical, and annoying as hell. If repeated 70 times a round, he may get tired of hearing you in...
I feel you on that. I have played only a few holes from back tees, ever. And I had no business even trying it with my length and skill level. Also average about 230-240 off the tee. Those holes are ALWAYS bad for me. The 20-40 extra yards really do make a difference in how a hole plays.    One day....!
Agree 100% on practicing at home, and a lot. Keeping in mind that I'm also a high handicapper. But, I usually have only two or three 3 putts per round. Work on the stroke at home. And the pre-shot routine/practice swings will help. As for distance, that can be improved by putting a lot, and keeping in your mind an image of how far back the putter goes to make the putt go 'X' distance. This is of course, variable due to green speeds and contours. But if you have a ballpark...
34.4 Unofficial, current, accurate. Using the Yahoo Handicap Calculator.    The scores haven't yet fully reflected it, but I know I'm getting better. I know this because I was somewhat disappointed with my 113 today.   I know I left some shots out there that I had in me. And I shot 48 on the back 9, with a birdie on the last. Normally, I'd take a 113 and run!   This time, I feel like a sub-100 was within my grasp -but I know it's within my capability....
Miami Springs CR 69.6/116 - 113   Most disappointing 113 I could shoot! (Normally, I'd be satisfied with that score)  65-48, 38 putts. Went off the back 9 first, as a single. Passed a couple of groups, and then the rain started. I should have stopped playing, but I pushed on. The three 'rain holes' I had were 9, 10, 8. Everything else was 7 or under, including a birdie on the last  It was a LONG birdie putt, too. probably 25 feet. And I KNEW I was gonna make it, too....
I think this depends on what exactly is meant by 'much distance'. It means different things to different people. I think though, that unless physically handicapped, -some are, of course- but, unless handicapped, no. I don't really think that if one makes square, center contact with a driver swing that is on plane that they will hit it prohibitively short. I, for example hit it an average of 225 or a bit more, with an occasional 250-260 in there. I truly feel like I am...
I'm pretty surprised by this thread and some of the responses, to be honest. While not college educated, I'm not a moron by any stretch.    I think saying that you are gaming some type of equipment simply means that you are using it in a game. The baseball glove example is a good one, IMO. It's the glove used for games, or, the 'gamer'. Why can't golf clubs be 'gamers', which are 'gamed', to replace the terms 'played with', 'played', etc. every once in a while? It's fun,...