or Connect

Posts by Nosevi

I like the fact that golf allows for players like Martin Kaymer playing by the numbers, Jim Furyk playing his steady safe game, Anthony Kim feeling his way round a course or a player in the Seve mould repeatedly taking on shots he shouldn't then amazing all by how he gets out of the resultant 'miss'.Out of all I guess I tend towards an Anthony Kim approach. My short game wouldn't stand up to a Seve style game and I'm just not a Martin Kaymer type person in anything I...
 You've got to take up counting cards, I'm guessing you'd be good at it :)  How good the pros are vs how good some of them think they are is a whole different subject. Got a vid where monty proudly proclaims he'd get up and down 8 out of 10 times from inside 100 yards. Shame he didn't do....... Anyway, cheers for the debate, but it's pressing on towards midnight here so best call it a day :)
I just have, sorry for not noticing it :) "Multiquote"....... I'll get the hang of it eventually but please bear with me, this forum runs on different software to ones I usually go on (certain type of car I have) and it works a little differently. But also sometimes I'm just getting 'code' when I hit quote but doing my best. I guess to answer much of what you wrote, I was basing my initial thoughts and subsequent responces to the first post in the thread. Basically.. "If...
Nothing at all, it just comes into play for a front pin, not so much into wind where you fire it higher and drop it steeper. Not really a massive factor in this as it'd probably encourage you to play past a front pin and more toward the centre :)
 No I did. On this hole if you try to stop your ball in the middle of the green, it's between 2 deep bunkers and on a steep downslope - the tier runs between the 2 bunkers. So say the flag is at the back and you aim to stop your ball in the middle of the green, firstly you can't - it's on a steep downslope. Secondly if you aim just over the tier and you're a yard or 2 short or you've got some backspin your ball catches that slope which will roll it 30 or 40 yards back down...
Thanks mdl. Truth is we're not really all that far apart :) But you're a statistician by trade, I'm a golfer who plays very much by feel and instinct.   My 'trade' as it happens was air traffic controller (but currently playing golf full time). In what we term 'tactical' air traffic (I was a military controller) there are numerous ways of getting aircraft sequenced and into an airfield - no two controllers will do it the same. A good controller has a little 'flair' and...
 I'm glad people don't mind an open debate :) Don't worry, I'm not trying to get high handicappers to shoot at pins, I'm trying to suggest they use their own intelligence on the course. Here's the long par 3 I spoke about earlier, the 6th - 200 odd yards from the back tee to the middle over the tees running diagonally across the middle of the pic, into a large 2 tier green. middle of the green is right between 2 pretty deep bunkers. Short of the green brings the trees into...
How often do other factors come into the shot decision making process? Pretty much every shot :) Hi mate. I don't mind at all if they disagree, as long as people don't mind if I disagree. Like I said, how often do other factors come into exactly where I shoot into a green? Practically ever time I shoot into a green, that is no exaggeration. I'll just take one factor - topography - but there are many more, wind speed and direction is a biggy that may make you err one way or...
 There are forums that allow open debate and there are forums that stifle it. I'm hoping and trusting this is the former. I fully agree with one part of the above - it's all about "feel" and playing smart. I respectfully totally disagree with a formula for calculating when you should aim at the flag and when you should aim to leave your ball in the middle of the green based on handicap or yardage. What about when the flag is on a 'friendly' side of the green but a miss to...
I know mate, and that's my point - the adjudtment for downhill, for example, is subject to ourside conditions. A '1 club wind' (ie requires an extra club into it than the yardage in still air) may well be a '2 club wind' downhill if your shooting right into it. So say it would normally be an 8 iron, the gizmo may 'correct' it to a 9 for downhill, and you may think "take an extra club so it's back to an 8." But a wind into an exposed steep slope pushes it a tad higher so...