or Connect

Posts by Nosevi

Rose has slipped back so kiss of death there (just thought I'd update you as you're no longer watching :) ) And with regard to the second, nothing really but if you read Rich's posts you'd have thought I'd been laying into Tiger, his background, his personality, his personal life, his fans ......... I haven't, I just said some of the hype surrounding Tiger is 'unhelpful' to golf which is, after all, a global sport. Others think it and he are the only thing keeping the...
 Rich, I fear I've upset you. For the record I am not a Tiger detractor, never have been and never will be. I like it when he plays well and root for him now and then (much to the dismay of my Father who is very much a "detractor"). No, I don't get those that literally say they turn off the set when he isn't playing, maybe I'm one of those few "hard core" golf fans you mentioned. I still think you vastly overestimate his 'worth' to the game in countries other than the US....
All fair Zeph and hopefully I'm not doing too bad a job with my boys. And as I've repeatedly said, I like watching Tiger play golf (when he's playing well.) I just don't understand the fairly widely held belief that golf isn't worth watching if he's not there. It's been said on this thread and it's clear from the ratings that a lot of guys over on your side of the pond feel that way. I guess for me the golden age of any sport is when you have several 'stars' closely...
Maybe I was overstating the case to make a point, Zeph :) I just don't think he's a particularly good role model for my 2 young boys who are just starting out in the game. His work ethic is, the tantrums and language now and then I could live without. It's a little like those buffoons who yell out just after a shot has been taken. It's not something the game of golf needs (IMO obviously).
 Hi Turtle. Look, I was prompting debate - it's a forum after all. I don't dislike Tiger or even mind in the slightest if others 'idolise' him. I know plenty of people who do dislike him based on his past and the way he occasionally behaves on the course but I'm not one of them. I said earlier "I don't get it." I still don't. I don't get how some hold Tiger up as perfect in every respect when the evidence before you shows he is far from that. He's a nice enough bloke that...
+1.The irony is I'm talking about Tiger - I know But would the US Open ratings (in the US) have been anything like that bad if Ricky had been one shot behind and fighting for the win and his first Major? Maybe they would have been, I just think that's a shame. Would they have been if a US player had been taking the field apart rather than a German? Butch Harmon who commentates on our 'Sky Sports' coverage seemed to thoroughly enjoy watching what was a great display of...
Just making a point Zeph :) Sure go ahead and discuss Tiger, no issues but the way he's put up as being more important than the game is very inward looking. Golf is played on (practically) every continent, some people tend to forget that fact. When Tiger plays well, I'll watch him and enjoy it. When he's off form it'd be nice to watch someone else. His post first round interview was great. "I really didn't play that badly....." (a direct quote) ....... GIR 50%,...
 That's fair mate. I guess as an 'outsider' I just don't get it. I don't think Tiger is faultless when it comes to the way he handles himself on the course, I don't think it's good for the game that he at least appears to get preferential treatment, I don't think it's a good example to my kids when he uses 'questionable' language or throws a tantrum when he hits a bad shot, and at the moment he's not really playing very good golf. In short I don't get it. Who would I watch...
 Simple question really - why?
I guess I was just throwing it out there. There's a lot of talk about golf being all about Tiger and I think anyone who thinks that is missing something. Most notably the rest of the world map. South Africa, Sweden, Australia, even us over in Blighty play the game now and then and even watch it occasionally. And it's not all about one bloke.