or Connect

Posts by Nosevi

Erik, in post #718 on the Ryder Cup thread you said (and this is a direct quote) "The European Tour is over-rated in terms of OWGR." You stated it as truth. Not an opinion, not your take on it. Not what some other study shows. It was a closing remark to a post and you stated it. I said you said it was a fact. You did not use the word "fact" but you stated it as being the case. You've since launched into a total attack on me for putting words in your mouth, calling me a...
:) What an interesting definition of 'forum' you guys have here. I did have the last say, Erik. And despite it being relatively polite you deleted it. As I say, interesting way to run what you laughingly call a forum. And if you scientists can't see that a formula that puts one golfer above another when that golfer has out performed the first in every single conceivable way is not a single data point, it's a formula that simply isn't fit for purpose, I don't know what to...
 Very quickly, Erik I'm sure you'll give your opinion, and I'm sure it's valid and you're more than entitled to it....... but that's what it is - an 'opinion'. It's not a fact that the European Tour players are higher than they 'should' be on the OWGR. It's not a fact because of what the OWGR system is. Broadie 'complains' (in inverted commas) that the points awarded aren't linear. They're not supposed to be linear, they're supposed to award more points for success. It's...
 Ok mate, fair point :) Like I said, new custom fit golf clubs were due to be delivered Friday, now coming Monday (Ping i25, project x 6.5 shafts, Tour Gorge wedges, G30 driver and woods with PXV Tour 6.5 shafts)..... Anyway, I had time on my hands.
 No, that's true I suppose. You stated as fact that the European Tour is over-rated in terms of OWGR (in comparison to the PGA Tour) and used this paper to demonstrate the fact. I wrote "proved" in inverted commas as you didn't use that word, you merely stated it was a fact, not an opinion. Saying that someone used a study to "prove their point/conclusion" isn't intellectual dishonesty, it's a commonly used phrase to describe what you did. If you had said it was your...
No it didn't provoke any changes, possibly for the reasons I've given - it doesn't 'stack up'. I would have replied to Erik on the thread where he said it 'proved' that PGA players are better than their OWGR shows, but was asked not to. A thread about precisely this study seemed a relatively sensible place to post an alternative view of it.If you're not interested, why not exercise your right not to read it? Seems a bit of a waste of time to read it (if you have) only to...
 The 'purpose' is my take on it. But (IMO) when a US 'accademic' working at a US institution writes a paper, announcing his conclusion in the introduction, using data entirely provided by a US organisation who is the party you are 'proving' should benefit from a change (in the form of the PGA Tour) and proves it with data from another US organisation whose data is blatantly and obviously ridiculous (in the form of Golfweek), I'd argue there's an agenda. He didn't wake up...
The author (or authors) uses the Golfweek rankings to 'prove' his theory and his own ranking system. They look back over the last year at the performance of players to rank them and yes, they rank Furyk ahead of Rory. The author also says that the difficulty of a course or tournament round is not taken into consideration, just the relative scores of one player to another to 'estimate' their skill differential. But as it can be shown that, on average, the pros that play...
 Yep, because it's nonsense :) In another thread I was told I was not properly reading this study, if I did I'd see how true the title of this particular thread is. It was off topic in the other thread (the Ryder Cup discussion) so I posted my response here. I read it properly - I'm not convinced because the whole pretense of the thing is utterly flawed. It's based on a barking mad US based ranking system that no one takes any notice of (outside the US possibly, not sure...
Having been 'accused' in another thread of not taking Mr Broadie's work on this subject seriously, or of not reading it properly, I'd like to say exactly what I think of it. Although before I had scan read it (and was less than convinced) I've looked at it pretty closely as I was told all I had to do was read it and it 'proves' that PGA Tour players are disadvantaged in terms of OWGR in comparission to say guys on the European Tour.   Mr Broadie uses 2 methods of...