or Connect

Posts by wadesworld

You're thinking about it backwards, which is not uncommon.  You're thinking that by allowing you a lower score, the handicap system is benefiting you.  However, that's backwards.  They're hurting you by making you take a lower score.  If there's a change, your handicap will go down, which gives you fewer strokes.  In actuality though, your handicap will likely stay exactly the same. Remember that the par+handicap strokes only applies towards the score you post in the...
As Fourputt said, the point of the par + handicap strokes is not to reflect what you think you would have made on the hole, but rather a score which will ensure your handicap stays the same.  If your handicap already accurately reflects your potential, then that won't change.  
Sure, every great once in a while, you might be sure you can find it and not be able to, but that should be the rare exception.   I have never experienced anyone looking down on hitting a provisional.  In fact, people are happy it's being done.  But hey, if your course is different, feel free to just take a drop.  As you did not play the hole under the Rules of Golf, the score on the hole you turn in for handicap purposes should be par + whatever handicap strokes you would...
Picking up a provisional takes a lot less time than trudging back to the tee.  Anytime there's a question of whether you'll be able to find your ball or whether it's out-of-bounds, you should be hitting a provisional.
Has this club been tested by the USGA and found to be conforming?   I'm curious as to why no PGA Tour pros have this in their bag.  As Kevin Kisner will tell you, one stroke can mean the difference between millions of dollars.  You'd think they'd be willing to buy one for the guaranteed drop in their scores it will bring.
 I have met Shawn and I can assure you, he is every bit as nice as he appears on his videos.  Simply a fantastic person. Shawn is a fabulous communicator.  I think his analogies can really help people understand concepts with which they may have been struggling.  The problem of course is that feel isn't real. Trying to learn solely off YouTube without in-person lessons or video review will always be difficult.  You may feel like you're "swinging the hammer through the...
It should also be noted that sometimes, various walls and other construction are deemed to be an "integral part of the course," which would grant no relief even if your lie, stance or area of intended swing are interfered with.   However, there's typically no way to know unless it's listed on the scorecard or you've run into it before and already asked in the pro shop.  So in a situation where you're unsure, it's best to play two balls under rule 3-3 and then ask in the...
 There's nothing in the rules which says you must be guaranteed to hit the green with your left-handed stroke, that you can hit it 40 yards or anything else.  It's simply about the reasonableness of the intent.  A 20-handicap can get the same ruling.  They can whiff it, chunk it into the water, whatever and it wouldn't change whether the ruling was correct or not.
If it is reasonable for you to take a left-handed stance and that grants you relief, then you may do so.   However, in your example, simply turning around in order to gain relief from a cart path is not permitted.  There needs to be something which makes it reasonable for you to turn around.  For example, if the cart path has a boundary fence along its right side, it would be reasonable for you to claim you want to hit the shot left-handed to avoid interference from the...
 Well, this is true, but very few casual groups I've been a part of refuse to make accommodations for something like a physical disability.  I'm quite sure the Golfweek Amateur Tour that I play on would have no problem allowing the putter and anchored stroke if someone could prove medical necessity.  Most clubs I've been around wouldn't have a problem with it either.  I'm sure there are some groups which are different and would stick to their guns, but I would think they...