or Connect

Posts by wadesworld

Club pros are not the end-all-be-all when it comes to the Rules.  In fact, some of them have embarrassingly bad knowledge.  Not saying that's the case with that guy, but just a warning to not always accept their answer just because they're the "head pro." With that said, I think a valid argument can be made for either side.  In a tournament, it would likely come down to the decision of the official (or head official if they called for help).
  Different scenario.  There is a reasonable possible explanation in that case.  The ball, through gravity or wind may have rolled off the green and into the water.  You do mention flat part, so I'd have to see just how flat to determine if rolling off was impossible and outside agency was the only possible explanation. In the OP scenario, a ball in view at rest in the fairway with no extraordinary factors (super-high wind, leaves everywhere, etc), then the only possible...
I agree with Fourputt.  If you observe your ball at rest in the fairway and it's not there when you get there, and there are no extenuating circumstances such as leaves, then the only possibility is an outside agency.  That meets the standard for virtual certainty.
You missed Note 1 of Rule 18:  Note that since it's unlikely you would know the exact spot on which to replace the ball, in this case, you would drop at the estimated spot.
The decisions in most cases, serve to exhibit the consistency of the application of the Rule.  In the few cases where they may give a surprising result, they typically serve to highlight the extraordinary circumstances which lead to the decision. Because members of my group may have massively incorrect understanding of the Rules does not invalidate the Rules or my correct understanding. Others may disagree, but I would say if you are making your best effort to follow the...
 Off the original topic, but it should be noted that the "50 yards" in 27-2a/1.5 is not a specific maximum distance.   Emphasis mine: Reasoning for this decision as was explained to us in Rules class is that the R&A had a number of situations where rulings were issued that were way too extreme.  For example, player hits a ball and then walks to his cart,which was parked forward of the tees, to retrieve another ball to use as a provisional.  Apparently there had been cases...
I haven't read through the whole thread, but essentially what is being said is, "A scratch male golfer, given a huge artificial advantage, could have some success on the LPGA Tour."     They put the men's tees behind the women's tees for a reason - to nullify the advantage the male has in strength.   The equivalent argument is that a female scratch golfer, teeing off from the 150-yard marker on every hole, could keep her card, and perhaps she could - but it would only...
While TaylorMade is struggling, other vendors, like Callaway, are making a strong comeback (and no doubt to TaylorMade's detriment).   I just attended a workshop with 35 or so representatives from the American Junior Golf Association.  They said to a person that junior golf is not only strong, but growing.
2-4/3 Player Lifts Ball in Mistaken Belief That Next Stroke Conceded Q.In a match between A and B, B made a statement which A interpreted to mean that his (A's) next stroke was conceded. Accordingly, A lifted his ball. B then said that he had not conceded A's next stroke. What is the ruling? A.If B's statement could reasonably have led A to think his next stroke had been conceded, in equity (Rule 1-4), A should replace his ball as near as possible to where it lay,...
I just attended one and I didn't feel the same way.   I thought the grouping of rules into related sections was quite useful, as were the video and animations. My favorite part was the "challenging concepts" discussion.   I'm not sure how you could conduct the class without going through the individual rules.  They exact reading of them and understanding of them, is after all, the point.     I can see the value incorporating some new teaching methods.  The problem of...