or Connect

Posts by wadesworld

Just FYI, I'm watching the replay of the first round of The Barclays on my DVR, and on several holes, there is practically nobody.  I'm sure on the weekend there will be thousands of people.     Does someone want to argue the pros should lobby the USGA to alter the lost ball rule for poorly attended tournaments?  Or should the pros be complaining to the PGA Tour that competing in any tournament with fewer than 10,000 spectators is inherently unfair?
 I'm with you Rick. I believe that absent any other notification, a player has to play the course as marked. After all, think of how many incorrect judgements could be made.  "This doesn't look like a water hazard to me - I'm not going to follow the markings," says the player, not realizing that 10 feet away under the heavy brush is a spring which is currently dry.  However, if there is legitimate doubt, the player would be justified in playing another ball under 3-3. If...
I can answer that: the latter. The only thing rules related that actually slows up play on the average course is the fact that people like to search hard for lost balls.  Why?  Because they don't want to lose their $4 ball, and they don't want to take a penalty.  So even though they're going to drop where they think it was lost, they're darned sure going to look hard first. Unless you completely remove the penalty for a lost ball, this behavior is not going change.  Heck,...
1)  First, let me clarify something:  The reference point for taking relief from a hazard is always the last place it crossed the margin of the hazard.  The line of flight does not come into play.  Often they are one and the same if your ball directly enters the hazard.  However, in many cases, they may be different.  2) It certainly is possible a drop zone may be ahead of the place from which you played, or even ahead of where you would have taken relief under 26-1.  Most...
We need a better description.  You're saying the hazard lines are on the opposite side of the fairway from the water?  Show us a google Earth image perhaps.
No, that's NOT correct.  It is only correct if the stroke was made at the provisional from where the original was likely to be, or nearer the hole.
You're both incorrect, at least in what determines whether a provisional ball is in-play.   After hitting a provisional, you may make as many strokes at it as you wish until you reach spot at, or nearer the hole than where your original ball is likely to be.  If you make a stroke at a provisional from that spot or nearer the hole, then the provisional becomes the ball in-play.   It's not clear from the original post whether the provisionals were past the "10 yards" or...
 As I, and many others have previously stated, if you find yourself in that situation in a non-tournament round, drop one and write down whatever score you want. I fail to understand why you guys continually ignore this advice, when it's exactly the solution you want?
My point is that your complaint is simply you don't like the result of the rule, rather than there being an actual problem with the way the rule is written. Nobody here is steadfast against change that has actually considered the implications and has some basis in the principles of the rules of golf.  We are steadfast against ill-conceived "they should change this rule in this totally-unworkable way because I don't like taking triples and/or can't remember to hit a...
 And here again, we come to the real source of your complaints.  You don't like what a lost ball does to your score. How about we change it so you can drop where you think the ball is lost, but you have to take a 4-stroke penalty.  Good with that?