or Connect

Posts by wadesworld

We go through this constantly. How do you propose improving the lost ball rule?  "Drop where you think it was lost" doesn't work.  
Why the insistence that the USGA would be upset if you're turning in 5's when you couldn't have possibly made less than 7?   The USGA already forces you to turn in a 7 or 8 on a hole where you actually made a 12 - otherwise known as ESC.     It's still my contention the USGA doesn't care that you got to turn in a bogey on a hole where you hit two balls OB and then dropped in the wrong place.  They care that your handicap doesn't benefit (go up) from improper...
My problem with this debate is there is no way for the ball to be at rest without moving closer to the hole.  Let's take @saevel25's example, but slightly differently.  Ball is laying on top of scorecard, within the circumference of the hole.  Ok, ball is clearly not holed.  So we remove the scorecard and attempt to place the ball on the spot (air) where it had lain.  Ball falls into the hole.  But in doing so, the ball clearly moved downwards, closer to the hole.   Now,...
There's nothing which requires you to search for your ball.  If you head straight to your provisional and play it (assuming it's at the spot where your ball is likely to be or closer to the hole), then your original is by definition, lost.  However, if someone (such as your opponent) finds your original before you hit your provisional again, then the provisional must be immediately abandoned and you'll have to deal with your original, as long as it's in-bounds.
 Yep, had you hit the original ball, you would have been guilty of playing a wrong ball.  Or had you taken a drop you would have been guilty of playing from a wrong place. Just for next time, since you didn't know whether your ball was in the hazard or not, it could have been lost outside the hazard and you would have been justified in hitting a provisional.  Of course if it's so far away you're not going to go over there and play it even if you find it outside the hazard,...
 I realize I'd be wrong.  But in a casual round if someone hits that shot, I'd give it to them.  That's all I'm saying.
For the record, in a casual round, I'd count it too, even if the ball was not completely below the lip.
The point is, there's nothing "stupid" about the hockey rule, nor is there anything stupid about the golf rule.  The football rule is different, but in no way "better." Where do you get the idea that the inventors of golf intended that a ball stuck halfway in the hole, but halfway out, should count?  BTW, in football, a ball kicked for a field goal must pass completely through the uprights to count. If part of the ball were to break the front or even back plane of the...
 In hockey, the ENTIRE puck must cross the line.  No different in golf where the entire ball must be below the lip. Is the hockey rule dumb?
There is no concept of the "fairness" of a break in golf.  A break can be a good break (ball bounces off sprinkler, kicks 30-yards dead left and goes in hole) or it can be a bad one, as shown here.  The only concept of fairness in the Rules is the concept of equity.  That is, if two players find themselves in identical situations, they will be treated equally under the Rules. You've got at least 3 active rules officials in this thread who believe that if part of the ball...