or Connect

Posts by Effington

Thanks for the articulate reply.   Here's another (similar) episode that I'm having trouble understanding:   Went to the driving range, with the goal of getting solid contact on shortened swings, and working on making sure I am not leaning backwards at the end of my swing.   After a couple warm-up swings that aren't terrible, the next 5-10 shots get progressively worse until I'm topping them again. I continue to top/shank shots for the better part of an hour....
Hey guys,   I'm in my second year of playing the game now, and am looking for some insight from anyone who has played the game longer than me, no matter at what level.   I seem to have experienced some fairly dramatic changes in my ability in a very short period of time. Most recently, I went out on an executive par 62 course, and shot roughly in the high 80's, which would be probably my best round of golf so far. Consistently solid contact in the middle of my...
To answer the OP's question, it depends on what population you're considering.   I often go to the local driving range and no one can hit the ball over 150 yards...over half of them can barely get the ball in the air.  I've played a par-3 course where I shot +20 on 9 holes and it looked like I was the best player on the course.   Overall, I'd say a very small percentage of players legitimately break 100.
In your situation, I'd probably remind your friend that he didn't really have a better round than you.  However, it's not really important and nothing to lose friends over.   Golf is a hard game, and every body lies about their score.  If you are betting on the winner, though, you both need to be scored in the same manner.
In response to the original question, the player in front did not do anything wrong as long as he is keeping pace with the group in front of him.  In fact, he did the right thing by offering to play with you.  He even joined the group ahead to keep the pace fast.   As someone else mentioned, if someone I didn't know (who earlier declined an invite to join me) asked me to play faster when I wasn't slowing down the pace of play, and also told me which tees to play off...
The score cards for the former professional athletes are very entertaining to read.  There are a lot of very good golfers out there, apparently.
If I'm over swinging, I'll get tired in about 100 swings.  If I'm swinging light and easy, I can swing away for hours without an issue.  As a frame of reference, I'm 30 years old and in excellent shape. The hardest part is when I'm swinging poorly, and can't seem to fix the problem, it's very hard to walk away.  The other day, I had a perfectly good session at the range but had a few bad swings at the end, and then spent 20 minutes trying to fix it when I should have...
Take my words with a grain of salt as I'm not a very experienced player, but...   Wrist hinge is basically the angle created between the club you are holding and your forearm. Maintaining a higher angle during the downswing and releasing it at the right time will help to optimize your club speed. It's hard to describe in words without showing you exactly when that time is, but a quick youtube search will give you plenty of results.   I like to think of a...
In my area, the local golf stores often have free introductory group lessons that teach the basics of grip, stance, & swing.  This is a good start and at little cost.  Books or online videos are also good references for the basics.   Once you have a general idea of what you're doing, though, if you are looking to improve you'd be best suited to have someone knowledgeable give you specific advice about your swing.   Good luck and hope you stick with it!
Hey guys,   I'm reviving an old thread instead of creating my own.  I recently came into this, actually on my own.  I noticed my brother did this, and he is a pretty good ball striker.   What are your thoughts on this?   I believe I am having consistency issues due to my wrists breaking at different points during the backswing, effecting how the club is at impact.  This is likely due to small variations in my swing speed.   I found that an early wrist...