or Connect

Posts by VealCutlet

I try to make my actual swing replicate the practice.  I usually take 2 practice swings. The first is an exaggerrated swing to reinforce hip turn and downswing path.  Then I set up next to the ball, and try to incorporate those thoughts, as well as tempo, into an actual practice swing.  Then I step to the ball, assess the target, turn my head to the ball which then triggers my backswing.   I have never measured my clubhead speed on the backswing, but a 15mph gap...
Tem-po, tem-po, tem-po!   Starting with the putter, through the wedges, irons, and woods.  As of right now, I feel like I have finally "figured out" my putting stroke - I have avoided 3-putting over my last few rounds completely.  My chipping, pitching, and overall wedge play have also improved, and I now feel confident that I can control distance with those tricky 40-50-60 yard half-wedge shots. Irons and woods are still WIP.
  I'm just funnin' a bit with the shorts-are-for-children thing.  I wear shorts most of the time in the Summer, but there is some strange idea that I just can't escape that reminds me of something I must have seen when I was a kid...something about a schoolboy who turned a certain age and became "old enough to wear long pants."  Weird? Yes.   I played a semi-private course that required long pants, but never a pure public course. And I'd imagine that a muni course...
I'm guilty of wearing shorts during the warm months, but I have this weird idea that men should NEVER wear shorts (unless you're under 12 years old) except while cycling, playing tennis, running, or working out at the gym.   
  This is a bit of a Straw Man argument. In what scenario would anyone tip a waitress for asking "would you like an appetizer?" if you didn't order one, or for asking if you want another Pina Colada, and you said "not now"?   However, it does seem everyone has a hand stuck out looking for a tip these days. The worst is probably ballpark food servers...who do make at least minimum wage, and expect a tip after charging $13 for a 12 oz beer.
Years ago, I got paired a number of times with a guy who liked to smoke hash on the course.  I found it annoying (and no, not because he didn't offer me a hit - it just wasn't my thing.)    He'd always ride in a cart, and put his pipe in one of the beverage holders. I walk this course all the time so I didn't have to deal with riding with him, but one time, we were matched up with an older guy who talked about "working for the city." Hash-man got all paranoid and worried...
Shot a 91, (Par 72, 69.5/123).  A real mixed bag with 4 pars, 2 drives OB, 2 balls in water hazards, sand on 6 holes and 34 putts (zero three+ putts.)  
Par 3, about 130 yards to the flag. Hit a 9 iron pin high, but about 10 yards right. Ball hung up on steep grassy downhill ledge on the far side of a greenside bunker.  When I got to the ball my thought was that I wished the ball had just gone in the bunker, because there lie was too steep to have any chance of getting over the sand in 1 stroke.     Upon further inspection, the lie appeared fluffy enough to slide a club under, so I thought I had a chance to at least...
  I think what you're describing is what happens when the pace of play gets too slow.  You wait around for what seems like forever, then you finally get a chance to hit your shot, and inevitably you rush and make a crappy swing.  The anxiety of waiting is psychologically taxing, and often leads to bad shots...slower play...ad infinitum.
Par 71, 69.7/118/6260 yds. Typically 5 hours and 30 minute delay from original tee-time.   I answered "always", because I play most of my golf at NYC/Long Island public courses.  There are just too many people in the area and not enough courses. These courses basically have no rangers to keep the pace of play reasonable. Combine that with general cluelessness about course etiquette and pace of play, and it's a recipe for disaster.  Another issue in NYC is that as the...