or Connect

Posts by FarWest

Bernard Gallagher, another who could readily described as a journeyman pro, has been Europes geatest captain, and Nick Faldo, narguably Europes greatest player,has quite easily been Europes least competent captain, so I think you might be somewhat unaware of the qualities required to do both jobs. McGinley, despite being a journeyman pro, has been a major force in the European game over the past 15 years off the course, and has done his apprenticeship for this job over a...
I've always thought Player to be an insufferable bore and a shameless egotist. I saw him a few weeks ago chalenging a Sky contributor to try to match his sit up count, and whie its impressive that a man of his age is so fit its not unreasonable to expect that he would also have learnt some humility and graciousness. What he thinks are fortright views and bluntness are quite often boorish and offensive insults.
I'm in the group of guys who previously thought he was all about hype and gaudy clothes, but I've developed a real respect for him as a golfer and a person, to the exrent that I wouldnt have been too upset if he'd beaten McIlroy on Sunday. Believe me, as a fan who's followed Rory at amateur tournaments in Ireland since he was 14, that is a huge swing, but I do believe he is very good for golf and will only improve under Butch. Anyone who can putt so unerringly from 6-8...
I think they're trying to sell hats rather than make him look cool. As an old fogie they look ridiculous to me, but the reality is that generation Y love that look. They dress Tiger to sell goods to people like me.
I think a lot of people are ignoring the role of vested interests in building and promoting the brand. Its not just through his golf performances that Rory will become a generally recognised figure outside the core golfing community. Already this weekend posters are complaining about the saturation coverage of the Omega commercial, and Nike will now kick into overdrive with their own brand of marketing as they see the Tigers decline as an opportunity to promote the new...
I think that with the quality at the top of the leaderboard only players at about 9 or10 under at the end of the third round will have any chance of winning tomorrow. There are at least 5 guys there who are capable of throwing a 65 or 66 at the board today in soft conditions, and youd bet on at least two of them achieving it, so the leading score could be anything from -14 to -12 this evening. The likes of Scott, Garcia, and Rose have way too much to do imo.
I think physical maturity is another factor you can put in there. With a relatively undiversified gene pool until very recently we Irish tend to mature physically in our early to mid 20s, and are at a significant disadvantage in some sports, especially power sports such as rugby, at youth level. Looking at recent photos of Rory, he seems to have bridged that gap in the past 12 months, and I think that, as well as a a greater focus and workrate, will see a far greater...
I'm curious as to why anyone would believe that the match should have been called in on the 18th when the result of the competition hadn't been decided. Europe had retained the cup, but the record book would show a tie.  It would have been different if the last match was tied, but it is inconceivable that a full point would be conceded with the overall result in the balance.  As has been said Tiger had ample opportunity to concede the putt before he missed his own putt. ...
Thanks for all the comments.  I have thought about replacing the shaft with a mid kick shaft to get lower launch, but its a draw bias head that I got to correct a very destructive slice.  My golf has improved considerably over the past couple of years after I made a conscious decision to play more, and I think I can look at a different driver.  I played this morning with a G5 that a mate lent me, and if anything I'm hitting the ball with a slight fade, and also getting...
I had a Caddyshack moment yesterday playing in an Open Competition at my club.  Playing off 10 I had just parred the 10th, after birdyin 8 and 9,to get to level par for my round when I took my driver out of my bag going to the 11th tee, only for the head to fall off.  When I looked I discovered the shaft had snapped about a foot up from the head.  I don't have an idea how it happened because I'd put it in the bag after hitting a great drive up 10 and I didn't notice any...