or Connect

Posts by FarWest

I'm curious as to why anyone would believe that the match should have been called in on the 18th when the result of the competition hadn't been decided. Europe had retained the cup, but the record book would show a tie.  It would have been different if the last match was tied, but it is inconceivable that a full point would be conceded with the overall result in the balance.  As has been said Tiger had ample opportunity to concede the putt before he missed his own putt. ...
Thanks for all the comments.  I have thought about replacing the shaft with a mid kick shaft to get lower launch, but its a draw bias head that I got to correct a very destructive slice.  My golf has improved considerably over the past couple of years after I made a conscious decision to play more, and I think I can look at a different driver.  I played this morning with a G5 that a mate lent me, and if anything I'm hitting the ball with a slight fade, and also getting...
I had a Caddyshack moment yesterday playing in an Open Competition at my club.  Playing off 10 I had just parred the 10th, after birdyin 8 and 9,to get to level par for my round when I took my driver out of my bag going to the 11th tee, only for the head to fall off.  When I looked I discovered the shaft had snapped about a foot up from the head.  I don't have an idea how it happened because I'd put it in the bag after hitting a great drive up 10 and I didn't notice any...
About 25 years ago Robert Allenby was still an amateur and played in an amateur strokeplay tournament in my club in Ireland, playing with a mate of mine in the second last pairing in the final round.  My friend told me afterwards that Allenby never once spoke to him the whole way round, and didn't so much as acknowledge his existence.  He described him fairly succintly as a "dickhead".   A player at the opposite end of the spectrum was Paul McGinley.  I caddied for...
When I started playing, almost 30 years ago, anything over 3 hours was considered unacceptable, but nowadays it seems that 4 hours is the miimum time allowed, and 4 1/2 hours can be acceptable, even on the shorter courses.  Although I would be considered a quick player I find that I now fall into the 4 hour tempo, and struggle to play quicker than that in a fourball, even though the guys I play with regularly are decent mid handicappers ( 8 to 12).  A lot of the slow...
I play on the northwest coast of Ireland, and I'm looking at the temps you're experiencing with envy. After this mornings round I think I'll be putting my clubs away for the winter, even though the fact that the two courses I'm a member of, being links, allow all year golf.  I went off this morning to play in my regular Sunday fourball in cool but sunny weather, but by the time we hit off we were in wet gear.  We had our first shower going down the first, but by the time...
  I thought McIlroy's performance on Sunday was close to flawless, especially given the quality of the leaderboard and how compacted it was.  The manner in which he constructed his score and gave the other players no errors to encourage them was hugely impressive, and quite Tiger like.  However his play on Friday and Saturday, after an excellent display on Thursday, while flawed in terms of ball striking, was probably more heartening because in the past he'd have probably...
It was moved because of the Olympics apparently.  They are going to be playing in conditions you wouldn't wish on Rory Sabbatini.
Thread Starter, without going into quite as much detail as you I'd like to address a couple of issues you raised.  Your contention that all those who are crowning Rory as the best golfer in the world are suffering either from the side effects of drug abuse or hatred of Tiger is bizarre.  I'm one of those who believes that Rory is the best golfer in the world at this moment in time, an opinion supported by every available stat - world rankings, money lists, 2012 win...
  The reason for the split with Chandler had nothing to do with McIlroy wanting to be the big fish.  It had more to do with the direction McIlroy wanted his career to go, especially in relation to membership of the US Tour, with Chandler favouring his stable remaining in the Euro Tour.  Many of us on this side of the pond were concerned about Rory being in Chandler's stable anyway, because of a perceived lack of discipline within it.  The recent dropping by Westwood of...