or Connect

Posts by FarWest

Talk about clutching at straws, reducing the assessment a 25 year old multiple major winner's career down to a single round. You couldn't make it up.Its not that long ago that some were clinging to the "fact" that he couldn't contend in tournaments unless he had his A game, and now that he has shown that he can grind out good scores despite not being anywhere near top form we now move on to the next course in a moveable feast of criteria by which he should be judged. I'm...
I'd imagine that a huge factor in Gallacher's selection, outside of the fact that he only missed out on automatic selection by a sliver, was his ability to put in a performance like last weekend when under enormous pressure.  Apparently McGinley spelled out his requirements for each of the contenders a couple of weeks ago, and only Gallacher responded in the required manner.     Donald was pitiful at the DB, and in the preceding weeks, and can have no complaints about...
Be careful what you wish for.They had Bubba miced up in the Grand Slam of Golf in 2012, and he whined his way through the round. By the end of the round it was like listening to nails being dragged across a blackboard. Even Harrington began to grate.
That's true, but I suspect that if he was throwing tantrums we might have seen more of him for entertainment value alone. I never thought I'd be a Reed apologist, but I thought his fist pump at the last was worthy of comment. He does himself no favours with his perceived arrogance, but hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes.
I have to say that I thought he handled todays disaster with more class than I thought him capable of. He had one of those days where every poor shot turned into a catastrophe, getting buried in faces of bunkers rather than falling back onto the flat. We've all had days like that, and I'm not sure that I was in the mood to fist pump anyone at the end od it, as Reed did with his caddy after bogeying 18. He has an unfortunate face, which along with his ill considered...
Bernard Gallagher, another who could readily described as a journeyman pro, has been Europes geatest captain, and Nick Faldo, narguably Europes greatest player,has quite easily been Europes least competent captain, so I think you might be somewhat unaware of the qualities required to do both jobs. McGinley, despite being a journeyman pro, has been a major force in the European game over the past 15 years off the course, and has done his apprenticeship for this job over a...
I've always thought Player to be an insufferable bore and a shameless egotist. I saw him a few weeks ago chalenging a Sky contributor to try to match his sit up count, and whie its impressive that a man of his age is so fit its not unreasonable to expect that he would also have learnt some humility and graciousness. What he thinks are fortright views and bluntness are quite often boorish and offensive insults.
I'm in the group of guys who previously thought he was all about hype and gaudy clothes, but I've developed a real respect for him as a golfer and a person, to the exrent that I wouldnt have been too upset if he'd beaten McIlroy on Sunday. Believe me, as a fan who's followed Rory at amateur tournaments in Ireland since he was 14, that is a huge swing, but I do believe he is very good for golf and will only improve under Butch. Anyone who can putt so unerringly from 6-8...
I think they're trying to sell hats rather than make him look cool. As an old fogie they look ridiculous to me, but the reality is that generation Y love that look. They dress Tiger to sell goods to people like me.
I think a lot of people are ignoring the role of vested interests in building and promoting the brand. Its not just through his golf performances that Rory will become a generally recognised figure outside the core golfing community. Already this weekend posters are complaining about the saturation coverage of the Omega commercial, and Nike will now kick into overdrive with their own brand of marketing as they see the Tigers decline as an opportunity to promote the new...