or Connect

Posts by Monte the Bear

You know, most architects would tell you that a blind tee-shot over greenskeeper's sheds and over a hotels ornamental pond is, at best, a bit odd. It is a one-dimensional hole, that requires one type of shot for a tee-shot (a fade for a lefty, a draw for a righty), then a shot that is hit pretty much straight. The fun of the hole is around the green - everything else is stupid and would not be built in the modern era. If Robert Trent-Jones or Pete Dye built a tee shot like...
What, you mean the way McIlroy thought his way around? What thinking did he make, seriously? 'Do I take driver or 3 wood?' was about it. If the R&A did not care, they would'nt change the course. They can't do it too much, because there would be outrage, regardless of the fact that St Andrews has adapted to change throughout it's history. They would not be changing the green complexes and stretching out the tee boxes as they are doing. Don't get me started on 17, probably...
Valhalla produced an exciting tournament compared to the previous two which were over by day 3. It's not a great course, but the PGA is a tournament that sets up like a typical PGA tour event, only slightly more difficult. In that scenario, it did it's job.    On St Andrews, the reason for keeping it purely financial and historical - it will be demolished by the current players, and it will be humiliated. The changes to the course on 11 and 17 will do nothing to...
Taylor Made just closed the Adams factory in Cal. All hands fired. They also just fired 15% of the TM staff as well. Ask any pro in a shop about the horrific discount wars that have been going on between Callaway and Taylor Made - introducing new models every 6 months to appease their shareholders and then 6 months later slashing the price of the same product. Meanwhile Ping (family owned) go about their business nice and quietly, and Nike are selling VRX's at full price...
See, this is your problem. No-one outside of America knows who Lawrence Taylor is. You guys know because he was a 'World Champion' (this always make me laugh...World Champion of one country - I digress). Jordan changed what in basketball? He won, but he wasn't Larry Bird. He just got marketed at the right time - a talented guy who stayed pretty loyal, was a decent guy, did the right thing. He's probably the biggest star in Nike's sky that has not disgraced himself. Can we...
Come back to me in 24 months.   Ricky Fowler will be wearing Nike. McIlroy will have renegotiated his Nike deal. Tiger Woods will be building courses in China.
Meant he's a hero to white working class New York fans - we do get baseball here on ESPN (watched a bit of it this year, like the look of Oakland - but hear they fade as the season goes on). The problem is that some here think that world golf and world golf sales are all about America. It just isn't. You will be hard pressed to find Nike products in stores right now that are not pushing McIlroy over Woods. And Woods will only remain relevant as a brand as long as he is...
He has no brand over here - I don't see Nike TW shirts on sale here any more and I don't see kids wanting to be Tiger Woods. They want to be Rory McIlroy or Ricky Fowler. He's gone. We have basketball by the way, it's pretty big in mainland Europe. 
Dude, you talk about mashing it and DJ. If you can't get fired up by McIlroy's 2nd to the 18th at the Honda  Or the 10th at Congressional  or the 10th and 17th at Valhalla last week, then you is dead, brother. Check your pulse.
You know something, everybody gives that 'I hate Nike clubs' spiel, probably because of that awful Susquatch thing that Tiger shilled half-a-dozen years ago. But I tried a VRX the other day and liked it - if I hadn't a trusty Titleist in my bag, I'd think seriously of giving one a trial fitting. It went miles.  If you think that Tiger Woods has created any market share for Nike worldwide this year, you are crazy. Tiger is finished as a Nike player. F.I.N.I.S.H.E.D. I...