or Connect

Posts by birlyshirly

I didn't look hard for this, and there might have been even better evidence if I could be bothered to dig, but here you go. This is an amateur recording a variation of 4 or 5 mph on iron shots (PW and 5 iron respectively) across a small sample size of less than 20 shots. http://thedanplan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dan-Plan-2013-04-21-Multi-Group-Report.pdf My point? If you see variation like that on a small number of driving range swings, it's perfectly...
So what does "synced up" mean, if it doesn't mean extra clubhead speed? Does it mean delofted by 6*? And, if you know Hammer's game somewhat, what's your estimation of the limits of variation in his clubhead speed?
It seems to be your point that it's impossible that Hammer hit a freak 9 iron 15 yards further than his usual from a driving range mat as a result of increased swingspeed. I just don't think it's as outlandish as you seem to.
Yes - but there's always the possibility that the GS95 is the "right" shaft for you - but you need a swingweight adjustment to make better contact.   Just out of curiousity - the Hogan Apex was the first lightweight steel shaft (maybe about 115g?), and Hogan made their irons a 1/2" longer as a result. Did you compare the lengths of the clubs you were testing?
Broadly, I'd agree - with perhaps a slightly different emphasis. I'd argue that identifying physical limitations should help you understand your compensations/flaws, and maybe leave some alone on the basis that you state. Swing within your means.
Here's the first data that came to hand. Sorry if you consider it crappy measuring equipment. http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/driver-test-old-vs-new/ Maybe Andrew started out cautiously and was really cranking out the last couple of drives - though that would be an odd way to conduct a test. My point? That we're not machines and there will be some variation from swing to swing.
I don't believe there's anything that can be stated as a "rule" about weight of shaft - a lot is going to come down to personal preference.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but whilst the GS95 is ultralight steel - isn't it only mid-weight compared to graphite shafts that are increasingly being touted for irons?   Tom Wishon recommends adding experimental lead tape in increments and using impact tape, or a marker pen, to see if (and how much) added headweight yields the most...
As I said, you'd expect better players to be more consistent in their clubhead speed. Then again, I've seen very good players vary 4 - 5 mph in the course of only a dozen swings, so the occasional spike somewhere between 5 and 10 mph doesn't seem outlandish to me, even for a pro.Lihu - I'm sorry if you thought I meant that you'd misread the display - I meant only that the sensor misread the clubhead speed. You have the same unit I have - and for what it's worth, I have...
Hmm - I'm not saying technique doesn't come into it. I'm just saying that it seems sensible to me to rule out poor physical mobility first.   In my own case, I think I could make a "full" shoulder turn, but right now I'd do it by overturning my hips. I don't think my hips are sliding. Of course, we could then argue about what makes for "over turned hips". But that's my point - I think the physical screens make for a good, objective measure of physical capability. And if...
Depends on what you mean by "better player". It stands to reason that better players are going to be more consistent in their swing speed. But  I'm positive there's a Nicklaus quote out there, I'm thinking Golf My Way, about the occasional long iron that feels effortless and flies like nobody's business - and I didn't get the impression he was talking about flier lies.