or Connect

Posts by Strike One

By intent, I mean reason. The intent of a rule is the reason for making the rule in the first place. The rules are there to make the game fair. I don't selectively interpret the rules to gain an advantage either. I was just saying that in an instance as trivial as brushing a leaf, it would be reasonable to forget about it and get on with the game. That's just my opinion. You can blow it out of proportion and misinterpret it all you want. I doubt there is anyone on this...
There is intent in every rule, otherwise it's meaningless. Sports are full of rules which are regularly broken, but a referee doesn't call each infraction unless the player gains an unfair advantage. If the refs called every infraction, games would take days to play. In golf, the player is often the referee and is relied upon to call the infraction based on his own judgment. Most rules are based on the premise of prohibiting an unfair advantage. Brushing a leaf is not...
I play a lot of different courses, usually as a single, so I don't know of any one guy that is particularly annoying. The people I do find particularly annoying are the ones who don't pay attention to anyone else on the course. The worst is the guy who stops at his ball on the fairway to answer his cell phone, then has a lengthly conversation while people are waiting for him to play. Cell phones should be banned from the course. Also in the oblivious category is the...
In the example above, the player could have retained his honor by ignoring the fact he brushed a leaf because he didn't violate the intent of the rule. He gained no advantage, even though he technically violated the rule. The intent of the rule is what counts in my opinion. In theory, the laws (rules) of this country are also supposed to be honorable, but we all know how true that is. People lose respect for the law because those who make the rules have very little, or...
I admire the guys integrity, but calling a penalty on yourself because you may have brushed a leaf is just ridiculous in my opinion. He certainly didn't gain and sort of advantage in his lie, which is the intent of the rule. I wonder if he would turn himself in for jaywalking, or spitting on the sidewalk?  
A large percentage of women have a high potential for drama, especially when it comes to anything "dangerous". They'll get hysterical over the lamest things. The woman I hit had a right to be upset, but her reaction was still typical of high strung, over pampered, "entitled" female. She kept yelling "you hit me!" over and over again, like I did it on purpose. She really wanted her pound of flesh. She made her husband go into the clubhouse and get a giant icepack, which...
Oh, come on. I took full responsibility and never said it was the lady's fault. This is the first person I've ever hit with a golf ball, and I've played behind plenty of slow parties. It was an accident, that's all. If you get into a rear-ender because you were following too close to the car in front of you, should you lose your license?
It was slower than usual on the course yesterday, and we were fighting daylight. The foursome in front of us were taking their sweet time: hacking, reloading and hacking again. We spent a lot of time waiting, but patiently played along. The ninth hole is a dog leg right after about a 270 yard straight fairway. I consider it a good shot for me if I can roll it up to the turn. The foursome in front of us were on about their fourth or fifth shot when they finally made the...
I don't know if this qualifies for a quirk, but I like to hunt for lost balls. I enjoy going down into a creek, or off in the woods to collect balls. Maybe I never got over Easter egg hunts as a kid. I have tons of balls, and certainly don't need any more, but I can't help it. I'll come home all scratched up and bloody from scrounging through blackberry bushes, and the wife just shakes her head.  
I hear OJ's got a mean slice.