or Connect

Posts by rogolf

Decision 30-1/1 explains that only the last stroke played out of order could be recalled.  The first one stands as made once the second ball is played.
You should also note from Decision 13-2/1.1, "When fairly taking his stance the player is required to take his stance in the least intrusive manner that results in the minimum improvement in the position or lie of the ball, area of intended stance or swing or line of play."  (my emphasis)
The Rules permit a player to "fairly take his stance", but this does not include the right to "back in" unequivocally.  You need to read Decision 13-2/1 (too long to post) to fully understand the limitations.
 I agree that this makes the most sense.  At the Old Course, holes 7 and 11 cross, and the players on hole 11 have priority - presumably because they are further into their round.
 Very important point made in this post, as the stroke allocations can be very different.
 At the US Open, every group has a walking referee accompanying them to assist the group with the Rules and prevent breaches.  Obviously, it was the referee who concluded the ball(s) must be dropped rather than placed (because the exact spot or precise lie was not known sufficiently).
Maybe he forgot to refer to the Rule book and Decisions?  I agree that he was wrong, but maybe he learned something about the Rules and the process of answering questions.
They can apply Rule 24-2 (Immovable Obstruction) for the clubhouse and evnirons and say that if relief is taken, it must be in the dropping zone.
It doesn't matter how it got there, its status is the same.
The stick is a loose impediment (see Rule 23).  As I see it, you had three options: 1.  play the ball as it lies. 2.  remove the loose impediment.  If the ball moves as a result, it's a one stroke penalty and the ball must be replaced. 3.  deem your ball unplayable and proceed under one of the options of Rule 28, with a one stroke penalty.