or Connect

Posts by shanksalot

I think most range balls are not the same as those balls we use on the course. In upscale courses they may be good balls, but at courses like a muni the balls are usually hard like the old Top Flites. Many of today's balls are more soft than range balls. The yellow balls can be just as soft as the white ones in my estimation. I play both and often can't tell the difference. If you go to different brands of white balls one can be harder or softer than another it is the...
I spend almost all my time on my short game which of course includes putting. I spend most of my time on the putting green since it is the weakest part of my game. 
Today I will be watching a baseball game, my first love. But I also will be looking in on all three tournaments as well. Multitasking I guess. 
 My ball of choice for the last three years has been Yellow. As I get older it is harder to follow a white ball through the air and on the ground once it lands. The yellow while not perfect helps to some degree and like the OP it is also easy to ID my ball in the fairway or on the green. It does limit the balls I can play and it is a bit of a conundrum picking a good ball to play. Having a slower swing speed now I have some trouble stopping the ball on greens that are firm...
 I think this is common with most players. There are days where I can shoot low on the front and then start to falter on the back nine. Others where I start slowly and then come on like gangbusters. About a decade or so ago I shot 33 on the front nine three times in a few months and the best I could do with any of those great starts was a -2 70 for the day. I believe it was just a case of being afraid to go lower. When I start poorly it takes any and all pressure off my...
Hybrids make it so much easier for most golfers to hit the long irons. The golf manufacturers keep making iron lofts stronger and stronger until a five iron loft today is close to what a three iron used to be some time ago. Many of the pros on tour use hybrids and they certainly are good for all ages and all levels of golf talent. I started playing hybrids some six years ago and will never go back to long irons. They are easy to hit , they hit the ball higher and in some...
It is hard to say since I have not hit equipment back ten years ago since 8-10 years ago. Today the lofts are at least one club stronger the ball is much better and is less spiny and thus should go straighter. I would guess I hit the ball about the same but if I hit the old equipment against the clubs in my bag today I would guess I hit the old equipment 5-10 yards shorter.Being 10 years ago means going from age 62 to age 72 and there is no way I should be hitting the same...
It depends on what kind of weather  you are playing in at 40* F. Is it windy, rainy and are the fairways hard or soft. I play 3-4 times a week year round. In the late fall/winter we usually have temps 35-50* during the day and soft fairways. This usually means 1-2 clubs on irons difference. Off the driver at least 20 yards and even more if you are playing a hole that is uphill. The good thing is the greens are very receptive and you can go for the pin if you judge how far...
 I play so often that I rarely go into a prolonged slump. When I have a few rounds that are above normal or I am striking the ball poorly. I sit down and and try to understand what I am doing to cause this problem or problems. Where are my misses, left, right, poor contact etc. I then go out on my patio and stand in front of the sliding glass doors so I can see myself in them. With a golf club I take my stance and look at myself to see how I am setting up. I do this from...
I never think about what I am going to score. When I go out I have the same mind set. Put the ball in play, keep it in the short stuff and try to keep the big numbers off the score card.