or Connect

Posts by shanksalot

I clean my irons after every shot. I keep a wet towel on my bag just for that purpose. If the club is dirty or the grooves have dirt in them it may affect the shot. This game is hard enough without adding another problem to it. Also have a groove cleaning tool attached to my bag for those tough to clean times.
 I have from time to time been known to shank a shot; see my name for proof of that. What I have found works for me is when I set up to the shot I try to have the ball closer to the toe than the heel. Played a lot of golf with 1950's blades and the best area to hit the ball on those clubs was towards the heel. Of course it turns out the way you can hit shanks is when you hit the ball off or near the hosel which is of course right next to the heel. Pretty much don't hit...
If I continually make the same mistake hole after hole and can't find a way to correct it I will either walk off at the 9th of 14th hole which is the easiest way to get off the course. I don't want to start seeing the shot I am hitting and I don't want my brain to accept this shot as okay. Most often I can correct what I am doing during the round. Yesterday I was playing very erratic hitting snap hooks and block fades. Tried my best to resolve this and did for a while...
 There are very few cons using SGI irons. One would be they are more forgiving and thus you get spoiled and become a little more sloppy with your swing. Some also mute the bad shots and you think you have hit it well and it falls 10 yards short. For a high handicapper there is little wrong with them. The pros way out weigh the cons. Offset helps to square the club some and the lower center of gravity helps get the ball up in the air easily. Perimeter weighting makes the...
 When I first started to play golf some 50 years ago I did not have golf shoes. I really don't remember when I first bought a pair but I played for a long time not using spikes. My wife played barefoot when I first met her and she is a good golfer. I play in all kinds of weather these days and I certainly need some type of spike in the rainy weather.  
I play in cold weather all winter temps ranging from 28* to 45* and usually lose about one to two clubs in distance depending on how cold and if there is for or wind.  The other problem you faced is you are hitting range balls that more than likely have been kept out in the low temperatures all the time. I would not worry about the lack distance on very cold days at the range that is just normal.  The main thing with playing or hitting balls in the extreme cold is just...
 This is one of my pet peeves. When you are on the green or just starting to walk off and here comes a ball that lands either on the green of just off it. Same thing in the fairway, you just hit your shot into the green and here comes a ball rolling just behind you. If I am in the fairway I take a tee and tee the ball up and walk away. This lets them know they came close to us but avoids any confrontation. Now if it happens again I wait for them to get to their...
 Any one of my hybrids, easiest club in the bag to hit.
There are people who try golf because they watch it on TV and it looks like fun. Golf is not fun unless you have some ability to play it. I have seen people attempt to play golf and get so frustrated they just flat out quit.  But most of the time it is because of the amount of money and time it takes to play this game. I think we have all seen beginners out on the course flail away at the ball seldom making pure contact and sometimes missing it entirely several...