or Connect

Posts by GeorgiaGolfer

Understood - sorry, I don't know how the system works. My 14 handicap is unlikely to ever trouble anything beyond a Wednesday afternoon scramble!
Not really interested in cyber-stalking a stranger to work out his golf handicap. Sometimes internet forums can be very judgmental. Some might say that "Vanity handicapper" isn't a million miles away from "Bull*****er." If he can play to his handicap, I hope he does next time he plays in a qualifier.
This from two years ago: http://thesandtrap.com/t/146/whatd-you-shoot-today/9468#post_758294   Sorry, you were asking him for scores, so I looked to see if he had mentioned any here.   Not bad for a course of that quality?
  100% agree.   I have zero interest in sentimental "tradition." Golf thrives as a modern game.   Show me any British or European course that has features comparable to, say, the Bear Trap at PGA National. Tradition doesn't validate a boring ill-kept track laid down in the 19th century with only the crappy weather to add interest.   On a different but similar theme. I think there's a strong argument that winning the [non-major] Player's Championship is a significantly...
  I agree with this. Gotta say though - if that trend continues - the British Open will start to look like a novelty tournament. And Tiger's decisive victory at The Players Championship this year will look much more like a "major" win in comparison.
Probably not a popular opinion - but I miss the metal spikes, although the onus was on the golfer to tread carefully and respectfully on the greens.   The modern plastic spikes? To be be honest, anyone weighing 200+ may just as well wear New Balance on the golf course, rather than golf shoes. There is no noticeable difference in adhesion. And if you're going to walk the course, the New Balance will be more comfortable.
I agree with the national Championship for the United States logic.   But applying that same reasoning, I guess a more contentious question is why "The Open Championship" should not be formally renamed "The British Open" especially as most folks outside of the U.K. already call it that.
I think experienced golfers who head out on to the course with newbie golfers assume a responsibility here. Maybe kinda far fetched to say its like sitting in the passenger seat next to a kid with a learners permit, but it is a little bit like that if you are playing with someone who hasn't got the first clue what he is doing on the golf course.    I had the same I paid my money so I will play however slowly I wanna play conversation with a friend who started playing...
Perhaps the only solution is to find profitability in cheaper courses. That may mean building fewer upmarket courses spread over huge areas of land surrounding expensive housing developments, and find a way of making money from shorter, cheaper, 9 hole courses instead. Get back to golf for golf's sake, rather than the pre-recession idea of golf as a means for marketing real estate.
In this economy it all comes down to money.   I'm grateful there is an Air Force course near where I live that allows civilians to play and is cheap, otherwise I'd have to cut back on my golf. I can't afford $35 green fee, $15 cart fee and all the rest of it at the semi-private courses. The Air Force course charges $15 walking or $23 with a cart. So I walk a lot when it's cooler.   I also hope the civilian green fees help keep the course open for the Airmen.