or Connect

Posts by PirateJim

Hmmm.  No... No, every idea that comes down the pike doesn't deserve universal support.  So far as consideration, that is exactly what internet forum threads like this one are really about, isn't it?  The premise of the poll that got this thread rolling was "Would you be for a 15" cup as an option for golfers?"  That invites discussion.  Now, just because some individual may think it is a bad idea which they choose to dismiss outright does not mean it is ultimately a bad...
 Hi Erik, I haven't actually "backed off" my strong disapproval of things like 15" cups, or TM's whole Hack Golf concept (I believe that was the name that included non-conforming clubs and all.).  I'm sorry if my subsequent post seemed to come off as backing off that position.  However, I often criticize people that simply oppose ideas without offering better alternatives (or arguing that the status quo is just right).  To that end, the second post was intended as an...
Okay, after reading all the other replies and giving it some thought, here is a suggestion for making it easier and more fun for beginners that doesn't require changing the golf course radically.   First: in the interest of pace of play, a lot of golf courses would be well served to assure that their roughs weren't too 'rough' and that out of bounds markers are realistically placed.  This would help everyone and speed up play.   Then develop "beginners rules."  Here...
I voted Never, though I hope I don't really have to use persimmons because of it.  This, in my opinion of course, is nothing but an entirely self serving scheme from TaylorMade to bastardize the game of Golf into something else in hopes of selling a few more lines of non-conforming clubs.  This would NOT be good for Golf.   The chances of investors thinking it was a good enough idea to build significant number of dedicated TM-Goofy-Golf courses is slim to the point of...
 I agree with getting instruction over new clubs if that is the choice.  If you are in high school, perhaps the school has a golf program?  Many do (at least around here) and the instruction is part of the deal.  The 990s were Titleist's version of a game improvement club in their day I believe, but there are newer clubs that have more GI characteristics these days.  For starter clubs, I don't think you can go wrong with Ping G series clubs, and the older G15s turn up...
I too would suggest following Hammer4's sage advice.  Money spent on lessons is almost always better than money spent on clubs.  And once you develop some rapport with the pro they can likely guide you on club selection.   Of the three sets, I like the third because it includes a 3 and 5 fairway "wood".  When you are getting started, you might be well served to take the driver out of the bag and tee off with the 3 and then stick to the 5 for long fairway shots.  If you...
Welcome to the forum, James.  There are people that use a 'baseball' grip successfully, but most use an overlapping or interlocking grip in order to assure that the hands are interacting in unison as they control the club.  If you are the book reading sort, I would heartily suggest Five Lessons by Ben Hogan.  The grip is discussed at length, as is the rest of the full swing.  There are lots of decent books on golf, but this one is a classic and doesn't beat around the bush...
I think it would very much depend upon the instructor and the individual student.  Information overload is a very real thing.    There is also a HUGE 'possibility gap' between sending in videos a couple of times a month and constant supervision by a live instructor.  For example; weekly one hour lessons with a decent teaching pro.  For me, I believe optimum might be a 15 minute session each day at the start of my practice to evaluate how I'm doing and assign maybe one...
A quick look at the specs on MP53 and 755 suggests the MP53 3i has 21* loft while the 755 is 22* but this is pretty close.  You didn't mention anything about shafts in either set, could this be the culprit?  I'm not sure if 1/2" shorter would change the flight that much or not.  Shaft characteristics strike me as the most likely culprit.
Choosing the right irons is a big decision, both financially and for your game.  It is important that you feel good about your clubs because it is hard to play well if you hate your tools.  This has to be tempered by understanding that all the manufacturers make "game improvement" clubs because they are genuinely easier to hit well than are the "player's" clubs that have smaller heads, thinner top lines, and less offset.    Not many years ago everyone used blades because...