or Connect

Posts by PirateJim

I would shop for a new vendor if they are going to charge you for a fitting on clubs they're selling you. The primary reason my bag is full of Titleist clubs is the confidence I have in the Titleist Advanced Fitting Ctr. that is available to me. I have never paid for the fitting service, including over an hour on the range testing and retesting different shafts for my AP1s.Even the "fittings" some big-box stores do (basically trying different clubs that happen to be in...
As has been said, lie angle can usually be adjusted a couple of degrees anyway. Shaft length is largely a static number, a visit to the Ping site and their web fitting tool can tell you a lot. However, the biggest variable by far in a proper fitting is shaft selection. I was amazed what a difference various shafts can make with the same club head. And I am not at all sure reshafting your old sticks would give similar results to what you were fitting to unless the heads...
How long it is going to take for you isn't something anyone can really answer, way too many variables. It doesn't sound like you are doing so badly really, if you are hitting 80% pretty well and shooting around 100. That's what I have heard the "average" golfer shoots. But you wouldn't be on forums like this if all you wanted was to be average. For me, the weak little shank-like thing comes from not getting my weight shifted back left, sometimes while trying a bit too...
Putting is so personal you will likely get a lot of different answers. Most all golfers struggle with it, even the tour pros, and I am not a wonderful putter by any means, but I have been improving slowly. Here are a couple of my thoughts.A smooth stroke is mighty important and many say you need to be accelerating the club through impact. I'm not sure acceleration is necessary, but I do believe you must not be decelerating at impact.I think it is critical to consistency...
First of all, I think the guy should hang out a Closed sign if he wants to go out and pick by hand then mow in the middle of the day.  I can understand a person trying to run a business like that on a shoe-string, but in that case, he should thank God he's got a customer and wait 'till you are done to do his mowing.  Hate to say it, but I wonder if he isn't hoping to get hit and get out of a failing deal with an insurance claim/liability suit ("I told him I had to mow and...
 I think you'll love the graphite.  You still get plenty of feedback for off center hits without the sting.   I went with Aerotech shafts for the much tighter dispersion they gave me over any of the other shafts we tried (including steel) during my fitting.  The weight of the shafts has a big effect on the way a club feels, at least to me.  If you're determined to only consider 'default' graphite shafts, I'd suggest trying a number of clubs and determining what shaft...
What WUTiger said. But here's two thoughts: For Ping, go to their web site and do their online fitting. It amounts to a "static" fitting that doesn't take your swing into account, but it is a darn good start (for Ping clubs). There are a lot of fitters that won't charge you extra for the fitting if you buy the clubs from them. Trying to save even more by buying something off the internet may well be false economy... I would vote to use your old sticks while you save...
Sadly, I don't fall into the "better players" category, but when I started back into golf after quite a lot of years away from the game I bought a set of Ping G20s with their full set of wedges, PW, GW, SW, LW. ("Standard" club sets at places like Golfsmith are simply what they think people want, not necessarily what the manufacturer suggests.) After a few months I swapped out the LW for a series of different aftermarket wedges looking for the perfect set of qualities...
I love my AP1s.  They are a game improvement type club, but I suppose geared somewhat toward the more serious player.  They have less offset than a lot of GI class clubs, and they are contoured so as to minimize the look of the offset that is there.  But they still have a sort of chunky topline like all GI clubs which seems to bother some folks.  I don't really notice/worry about it.    I don't have experience with the Mizunos, but I know they make top quality clubs; so...
 Of course, the steel shafts wouldn't be based primarily on tradition...