or Connect

Posts by PirateJim

I use a reverse overlap.  After reading Stan Utley's putting book I began assuring that I grip my putter along the life lines which does seem to get the shaft aligned nicely with the arms.  Then I worked my up to a Super Stroke 3.0 grip that really lets me get my hands in great contact.
I suspect that the answer is that "top amateurs" are just golfers deep down and like the rest of us, they buy golf clubs like most of us do.  Some are brand loyal, some aren't, some buy new sticks when something shiny catches their eye, others hang on to clubs that are working for them for years.    @newtogolf mentioned that at his club many of the top amateurs play irons and putters that are several years old.  I don't think that is surprising since irons are really...
I think one of the big considerations when looking at the XP105 vs XP95 is the change you'll get in the "feel" of the clubs as you swing them.  earlier this year I switched from Ping G20s with their proprietary graphite shafts and tried about 6 various steel and graphite options in my new AP1s.  For me, shaft weight makes a really noticeable difference in feel.  The i95s I ended up with are heavier than the shafts that were in the Pings, but still pretty light in the...
You can go to Titleist's web site and look at the custom options, there's a nice chart that shows all of the shafts they offer as either standard or extra price options with their drivers and how they rank for launch and spin.  The Phenom 70 is, indeed, shown as a lower launching, low spin shaft.   As usual, saevel25 has a good suggestion in looking at how you're actually hitting the ball.  I'm still working on learning to hit up, or at least not down with my driver,...
 I'm sympathetic: AP1s are good looking clubs, real good looking IMO, but AP2s are gorgeous!  But when you get out on the course, pretty is as pretty does, and my ball striking (which I don't think is so bad either :-) isn't so great that I am not better off playing the more forgiving AP1s than the AP2s like Jason Duffner and Jordan Spieth.  My strong suggestion would be to find a good Titleist fitter, preferably an Advanced Fitting Center rather than a big box store with...
 I contemplated such a setup, particularly because of the lofts on the AP1s that called for the introduction of two gap wedges.  I discussed it with my fitter and tried hitting some AP2s with various shafts, but the AP1s were really performing better for me down to PW.  I didn't buy Titleist's gap wedges but filled the bottom of the bag with SCOR's.  Love the SCOR wedges for "wedge" shots, but sometimes wonder if I shouldn't swap the 48 for another AP1 for better full...
I like some of the technology Callaway has been introducing, but... dang.  If you buy a new set of Callaway sticks, I mean NEWest stuff, you've got to know that they have two or three next generation clubs already in the pipeline already.  I'm not saying everyone should be like Titleist and only release new models every two years, but I think it would be nice to let your customers have the latest and greatest in their bags for more than a couple of months.   Another...
Footjoy StaSof is the one that always works for my hand.
I would shop for a new vendor if they are going to charge you for a fitting on clubs they're selling you. The primary reason my bag is full of Titleist clubs is the confidence I have in the Titleist Advanced Fitting Ctr. that is available to me. I have never paid for the fitting service, including over an hour on the range testing and retesting different shafts for my AP1s.Even the "fittings" some big-box stores do (basically trying different clubs that happen to be in...
As has been said, lie angle can usually be adjusted a couple of degrees anyway. Shaft length is largely a static number, a visit to the Ping site and their web fitting tool can tell you a lot. However, the biggest variable by far in a proper fitting is shaft selection. I was amazed what a difference various shafts can make with the same club head. And I am not at all sure reshafting your old sticks would give similar results to what you were fitting to unless the heads...