or Connect

Posts by PirateJim

First of all, I think the guy should hang out a Closed sign if he wants to go out and pick by hand then mow in the middle of the day.  I can understand a person trying to run a business like that on a shoe-string, but in that case, he should thank God he's got a customer and wait 'till you are done to do his mowing.  Hate to say it, but I wonder if he isn't hoping to get hit and get out of a failing deal with an insurance claim/liability suit ("I told him I had to mow and...
 I think you'll love the graphite.  You still get plenty of feedback for off center hits without the sting.   I went with Aerotech shafts for the much tighter dispersion they gave me over any of the other shafts we tried (including steel) during my fitting.  The weight of the shafts has a big effect on the way a club feels, at least to me.  If you're determined to only consider 'default' graphite shafts, I'd suggest trying a number of clubs and determining what shaft...
What WUTiger said. But here's two thoughts: For Ping, go to their web site and do their online fitting. It amounts to a "static" fitting that doesn't take your swing into account, but it is a darn good start (for Ping clubs). There are a lot of fitters that won't charge you extra for the fitting if you buy the clubs from them. Trying to save even more by buying something off the internet may well be false economy... I would vote to use your old sticks while you save...
Sadly, I don't fall into the "better players" category, but when I started back into golf after quite a lot of years away from the game I bought a set of Ping G20s with their full set of wedges, PW, GW, SW, LW. ("Standard" club sets at places like Golfsmith are simply what they think people want, not necessarily what the manufacturer suggests.) After a few months I swapped out the LW for a series of different aftermarket wedges looking for the perfect set of qualities...
I love my AP1s.  They are a game improvement type club, but I suppose geared somewhat toward the more serious player.  They have less offset than a lot of GI class clubs, and they are contoured so as to minimize the look of the offset that is there.  But they still have a sort of chunky topline like all GI clubs which seems to bother some folks.  I don't really notice/worry about it.    I don't have experience with the Mizunos, but I know they make top quality clubs; so...
 Of course, the steel shafts wouldn't be based primarily on tradition...
The whistling sound odd, almost like the head was pressurized... On the Titleist web site there is a forum you can join.  Might be worth asking there.  Perhaps, if it is a pressurization issue, there is a way to restore it?
 I'm not sure of the "official" definition of Sand Save, if there is one...  I would think that it would mean you knock your second shot into the greenside bunker on a par 4, get out and "save" the par with a one-putt.  However, given the circumstances, if you want it to be a Sand Save, I say go for it!
Love my SCOR wedges and much love for my Newport 2.  I'm actually really happy with all my Titleist clubs, but I attribute a good portion of that to the fitter and suspect that I'd be as happy with some other brands if I could get the fitting and the crowns of the 'woods' were black.
Nice looking sticks, Mr. D! Looking forward to hearing how they treat you on the course.