or Connect

Posts by cutshot878

Hand strength and its relation to grip preference:   I believe Gary Woodland (one of the strongest, most athletic golfers on the PGA Tour) uses a weak grip (left hand turned more to the left, V pointing at his chin, one knuckle visible, thumb directly on top of the grip). But then again Dustin Johnson (another tremendous athlete) uses a very strong grip.      Maybe it has more to do with how the player releases the club?  Or whether the club at the top is laid off,...
For me, holding it that much in the fingers with the left hand makes the grip too strong---V pointing at the right shoulder. I draw the ball and I'm always guarding against a hook so a strong left hand grip is a no go unless I want to hit duck hooks.  I tend to hold it a little more palmy but I still understand that only the 3rd, 4th and 5th finger (of the left hand) are responsible for holding the grip against the lower palm. The index finger and thumb don't do anything,...
Thanks for posting Brian Stuard's golf swing. It looks a bit Dufner-esque without the waggle and with a longer backswing. And maybe he's closed at the top instead of square like Dufner? He seems to be another Hogan disciple with that Hogan Stance (left foot really flared out and right foot back and square-- for the driver swing). The finish looks identical to Duffs. I've been watching this guy (Brian Stuard) who seemingly came from out of nowhere  (obscure Oakland...
  I used to live in what you would call "the right place" to play golf in Florida---Jacksonville. I rarely played because, (although I was a skilled golfer in the 1% who can actually break 80)  I was a working class guy and $40 per round was cost prohibitive. I might actually "play" once a month. Mostly I was hitting range balls once a week.  Now I live in what you obviously call the "wrong place" to play golf in Florida. 50 miles north of Tampa, way out beyond even the...
Well, I'm glad that the future of golf is safe in Colorado. Skiing and Golf. Not a bad combo. Still, I'll take our dying public courses,  mild winters, year round golf on poorly maintained tracks and beautiful beaches--- here in Florida. I won't mention hurricanes if you won't mention wildfires. 
I would agree with you when it's golf season here in Florida (December to April) when all the snowbirds are here and my neighborhood public course actually has some business. But there is no evening golfing at that time. Sunset at 6pm. But during the summer, when kids (the future of golf) are out of school, it's too hot and humid and too many thunderstorms for anybody to be playing.The course closes at 6pm. If golf was a game with a working class future there would be...
I'm not sure where the next generation of (non video game) golfers is going to come from. Junior golfers simply don't exist on the local "working class" public course that I live on. Any kid with a club in his hands and a few balls learning the game (in those last two hours before dark) is quickly driven off the course by the cranky old Scrooge of a ranger.  He ensures the slow death of the game I love. Where will the future players (and assorted golf addicts) come from?...
Hogan's are nice but how 'bout this beauty:     If only I was willing to spend $200 per club            
Any Titleist muscleback. Currently have 710-MB.   I also have a set of Mizuno MP-69's but they lack the comforting "thwack" sound (after impact) that I have always enjoyed in a Titleist. In the hands the mizzies and the titleist feel the same but the impact sound seems slightly different. I guess you never forget your first love---for me it was a set of Titleist Tour Model blades that I used as a junior golfer in the late 80's. Looking forward to picking up some Miura's...
My backswing "feel" is the same for irons and woods. But I have two different downswing "feels."  With the driver and 3 wood  I "feel" like I just initiate the downswing with the lower body (mostly a big left hip clearing move) and the arms and hands "feel"  completely "passive" and the club head just freewheels toward the ball.     With the irons, It is the opposite: I "feel" like I'm keeping my hips static (not allowing them to move) and I'm using my arms and hands...