or Connect

Posts by CR McDivot

Played the Knolls today with son in law and a father/son twosome. Great mid winter weather, 60* sunny, light wind. Tees and greens still frozen, thawed a half inch on top. Fairways getting a bit chewed up, rough cut short and very playable.   Scored a bit worse than average for me, but bested son in law by 2. Working on a new 4H, got the distance gap filled but pulled left too often. I think I can work this out. Putting poor by all. Son in law had his driver working on...
Forecast Sunday 60*. Tee times at the home course filled up quick, but I snagged one this evening for prime time Sunday (warmest part of day) just now. I know the greens will still be hard, but I love being able to play mid winter. Could never do this in Ohio where I grew up next to the lake and learned to play.     BTW- one of my assignments in grade school back in Sandusky was to co respond with the tourism dept of the state of our choice. I chose Colorado after...
BTW (in consideration of previous posts) - although it is true that the average golfers drive is around 200 yrd carry, I can attest to personally seeing a lot of young folks, and quite a few in the 30 to 45 year old group push towards 300 yrds. They can indeed get it out there!   Accuracy usually (but not always) stinks.
I grew up with laminated maple, low tees and the wound ball off the left heel. 230 and straight. Lost quite a bit of distance lately (and considerable accuracy) mainly I believe because of age and thus lower SS and overcompensation by moving the ball too far forward (off left toe) and teeing too high. Produced out to in, two way miss, and a 210 yrd average carry. Last trip to the range I moderated tee height to half a ball at crown, ball position to mid point of left heel...
Riverdale is in fair shape, but as you have noted fairways and greens have only thawed on the very surface. Geese and those who have no concept of "winter rules" and repairing damage to fragile turf are indeed doing considerable damage. Cart path only should be called till things get better, but I have noticed that even when CPO is in effect a lot of folks ignore it. Judging from past experience the grounds crew at Riverdale will have the course in fine shape by mid April...
I voted <60, but there is faint hope that I can drive all but the shortest par 4 to that range. Typically have 90 to 160 left and will go for the pin up to about 120, past that it's center green.
I agree, but mine is #12, a par 5 with the carry on the tee shot just a bit more than I can consistently handle. My partners are always trying to get the green in 2, and typically clear the hazard but miss the fairway. I have learned from painful experience to lay up short of the water. From there it's a fairway metal and a wedge. Partners struggle from the rough to get on in 3, but for me #12 has become a fairly easy par, and a good shot at birdie.  
Examples from my last round...   71% Fairways 22% Greens 5 Three putts 2 One putts 1 Penalty   Shot 89, but really could have come close to breaking 80...   Drives need a bit more distance, best was 240, average 220.   Flew a few greens, too much of a gap between my 19.5H and my longest iron on longer approaches.   2.3 Putts per GIR, and these were not 35 footers. My putting stank!   The 2 one putts came from tight to pin shots from 142 and 95 yards....
On the day, and at the location of my original test, Google Earth registered within 1m of a point collected by a quality handheld with a powered external antenna averaged over 3000 readings. This seems to change over time as historical aerials are not as well registered. Currently the best publicly available aerials are claiming 1 foot (primarily in US urban areas).
The GPS Benchmark app tests the inherent accuracy of the chip, hardware, and OS. If any augmentation is used it will be noted. The tests I ran were purposely without wifi or cell tower augmentation. Played a round today with an app I typically use only for scoring. This time I compared distances and shot tracking with a laser, and came up with results generally in line with the expected 95% assurance. Some few readings considerably worse than that. Having done mapping work...