or Connect

Posts by Bucki1968

I have only the cost to play golf increase over the past X number of years (along with the price of everything else). Factor in the time it takes play/practice etc. and you can see why the game is having a hard time attracting new blood. I coach sports in high school and have also seen the numbers decrease there. It easy to be good at a sport on the X box with out having to leave the house and actually go outside.
After years of trying I finally got Masters tickets this year (practice round) on Wednesday via the drawing. I live in Fla. and am going to drive up there (about 6 hours). It's already ridiculous for a hotel room in Augusta so I was wondering if anyone with experience can give me some advice about getting a room an hour or so away. Also any tips on where to park or just how things work there. I am PUMPED! I have heard that the prices there are pretty reasonable for food...
This topic goes along with the pace of play issue also. I can hit my driver pretty consistently over 260. Even with that I always look at the yardage from the back tees before I decide to go back there. Especially with what the weather is doing or what time of day I'm playing. If it's windy or the course is wet, I will move up a tee so I'm not hitting long irons in all day. Usually on busy days it does no good to smash a 300 yard drive on a par five because it takes to...
Yes Dave, I'm looking into various clubs in my area (Tampa). I see I'm right down the road from you. I guess I am looking to go to a private club just because at least I'll be on the course with golfers. The wife also wants a fitness center because for what we spend at LA fitness we might as well join a golf club also. Actually the ones I have looked into are very reasonable on food and beverage prices. It actually sounds like it will save me some money.
Yes...I'm not expecting to play a 2.5 hour round. But walking with the wife, we can do it 3:15 easily. I am lucky being off in the summer (teacher) so I'm able to play when the courses are not busy. I usually tee off first in the mornings (with other players or sometimes by myself) and get around in 2:45 walking. I guess my real beef is that most people don't think to let faster players play through or just don't know any better. I like to play in foursomes when ever...
I think people are just golf etiquette savvy anymore. I grew up caddying so I learned the rules. I guess times have changed and people just don't bother to learn. Maybe that also keeps people away from the course because they are not sure of the rules. I"m not looking for a 2.5 hour round of golf but I don't think it needs to be one minute over four hours. You can play bad golf quickly. I have also concluded (thru my tee times at local courses) that they either over book...
Yep...actually on Saturday the guy in the shop was the only one there. He said his cart guy didn't show up so there was no one else there to do anything until 1:00. I think many courses down here are hurting for revenue (as well as private) and just don't have the resources to hire staff to ranger/work in the shop or cart barn.
I am looking to join a private club (wife also) because we are sick of playing 5 hour rounds of golf. Many in our area have suspended the initiation fees and minimums so it has become something we can afford. We actually would like to meet some more people and make some new golf buddies and be in some the social events. I don't think we are snobs but I'm willing to spend the $ to be on a good course where people have some golf etiquette. 
I know there are probably a ton of threads about slow play, but I can't understand why this has become such a problem. I live in Florida and right now is the "off season". I don't even try to play during the winter months because of the cost and pace of play (sorry snow birds). It sucks because our courses down here are generally in the best shape in the winter months. Actually the cost does not discourage me as much as the pace of play. I am usually hovering between a...
We (wife and I) actually just joined a country club in the Tampa area. One of the big reasons we joined is because you can walk the course at any time. Most of the clubs in this area have dropped initiation fees and minimums to nothing to get new members. We have only been there about two months but have made some friends and it turns out the food in the restaurant is great and is actually cheaper than going out to most of the places we would normally go out to. So far,...