or Connect

Posts by HighlandLaird

Utter tripe.  In your conceit, you obviously think you know more about clubs than Tom Wishon, but the informed amongst us know that you do not..Here are the FACTS:-   My irons are Wilson Staff Dynapower 1973 and the PW has a loft of 51 degrees, with the 7 iron at 39 degrees.Current Adams New Idea 7 iron = 32 degrees. Cobra Baffler XL 7 iron = 30.5 degrees. Cleveland 588 Altitude 7 iron = 31 degrees.Progen Haema 7 iron = 31 degrees. TaylorMade RocketBladez Max 7 iron = 30...
Hear, hear, sir.
And how much better would you play with a 12 gauge shotgun cartridge behind the face of your driver like that guy in "Caddyshack"?   This stuff about making golf easier is ridiculous-----if there is no challenge, the game becomes nonsense. Clubs have been allowed to stray too far from the original rules definitions, what with "belly putters", "chin putters" and so on.  I'm not suggesting a return to hickory shafts, but I do feel recent equipment changes have made the game...
This is a nonsense question.  It depends entirely on the loft your clubs have. See Tom Wishon's excellent book "The Search For The Perfect Golf Club", in which he points out the "vanishing loft disease" of recent years. Irons have typically lost eight degrees each over the last thirty years, so today's pitching wedge is yesterday's 8 iron and so on.  It is the reason gap wedges and hybrids are necessary, (as current one or two irons would have insufficient loft to get the...
I see you play at Wollaton Park GC----it is really superb, but I haven't played there in years (early 1960s!)----do you still have the deer herd?
Yes, and a one iron as well.   As Tom Wishon has pointed out in  his superb book "The New Search For The Perfect Golf Club", iron lofts have been reduced over the years, so that a three iron today has almost the same loft as a one iron of the 1960s to 70s, in an effort to sell more clubs to the gullible on the supposition that the particular manufacturer's irons are longer than those of  others !! There are none as gullible as golfers!!!!
Tom Wishon calls this the "vanishing loft disease".  Club manufacturers have for some time been reducing the loft of their irons so punters can hit them further, thus making the 1,2, and 3 irons redundant and necessitating the use of gap wedges. AS he sagely points out, this does nobody any good, but all manufacturers have fallen into line, because a it is not a very good sales pitch to say "buy our irons, they go less far than our competitors' clubs"!!!!I use an old seat...
Hi----this is a problem I also have suffered from.  I found that for me it was caused by one of two things, or sometimes both!!  Standing too near the ball causes me to hit "fat" shots, especially with the longer irons, but the other cause is "collapsing" at impact, by which I mean not hitting against a firm left side----I cure this by raising my left shoulder at address, so there is more of a shoulder tilt, and then straightening my left knee forcibly on the downswing.,...
Thank you! I think I need to use the ladies' tees----I'm going to see if they drum me out of the club for using them!
I am 72 and have played golf since I was 13. My lowest handicap was plus one, in the days the lowest handicap one could hold was scratch, with current internationalists on plus one and the National (British) Amateur Champion on plus two. My driving and particularly iron distances are rapidly diminishing, with my drives averaging around 220 yards and 5 iron about 150 yards. What distances should be expected at my age do you think, and what steps can I take to counteract...