or Connect

Posts by TheHumbleGolfer

Spyder,   It's a pretty cool place.  Entirely artificial golf course with unbelievable views and a whole bunch of thrilling shots.     Here's a course review with a lot of pictures: http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2012/01/arcadia-bluffs-golf-club-review.html     If you can figure a way to get on to either, don't miss The Kingsley Club (http://www.kingsleyclub.com) or Crystal Downs...
North Palm Beach CC West Palm Beach GC Atlantic National   In that order.    
Holes 10-12 traverse the flattest part of the property.  Some may call these holes less interesting, but they are where I really started to love Streamsong Blue - they are interesting but not overdone - they show tremendous restraint.  The 10th hole is a 170-yard par-3 with tees that adjoin the fairway cut run-off from the 9th green.  A foreshortening bunker makes depth perception a problem.  The simple look of the hole may leave golfers shaking their heads when they...
They're open as of Dec. 21.  Courses are in excellent condition too!  
Tom Doak's Blue Course at Streamsong Resort is exceptional.  From the first tee to the final putt, the golfer is challenged to think his way around the golf course as the direct line is rarely the ideal play.  The Coore & Crenshaw Red Course is routed through larger dunes and more prevalent water hazards, perhaps making it a slightly more complicated site, but it is Doak's routing that is the more comfortable one.    Doak's routing is near flawless with very short green...
MacDutch, I was offered an industry rate so, no, I didn't pay full rate.  But, it was good enough that I'm planning on going back in a couple of weeks when I will be paying full freight.  
My top-5 in order:   Kingsley Club  Franklin Hills Crystal Downs Oakland Hills (South) Indianwood (Old)   Honourable mentions:   Country Club of Detroit Arcadia Bluffs Orchard Lake   Need to see:   Plum Hollow Oakland Hills (North) Detroit GC (South) Lost Dunes Greywalls  
Why limit the discussion to Raynor, rather than discuss the trio of Macdonald, Raynor and Banks?   I've played the following Raynor designs:     Creek Club Fishers Island Mountain Lake Southampton Yale   What would you like to know?  
Let's not forget that many of the great modern architects were one-time apprentices of Pete Dye's.   Is Dye overrated? No, not at all.  Pete Dye's influence is a major determinant in the way the best modern golf courses have been designed.   Dye's best work, in my opinion, was early in his career when he was more willing/interested in working with what the land gave him.  The Golf Club, Teeth of the Dog and The Honors Course are all exceptional golf courses --...
I had the privilege of spending a day at Streamsong Resort this past weekend. The Red is good, one of the more interesting courses in a state known for mediocre golf.  The Blue is exceptional, destined for world top-100.