or Connect

Posts by boil3rmak3r

+1. Thanks for posting. I agree that the "lumpy doughnut" makes my last inch comment wrong, but I'm really surprised that folks are saying that watching an actual ball roll near the hole is not that important.@iacas, I would ask you this. Would you make more 8' putts if you watched other balls roll toward the hole, or if you just used Aimpoint?
  I never suggested where to aim putts in any of my posts.  I must have worded what I was trying to say very poorly... Even though you are a pro, your putting isn't much (if any) better than mine.  I learned that from LSW  .  I'll take your challenge anytime.
 Actually, it's very much on the topic that I intended...  While my initial "last inch" comment was a bit extreme, I meant that the slower the putt gets, the more you'll be able to see the true fall line.  On a perfect greeen (with no imperfections), the last inch would be extremely telling...
The Dark Tower series was great! I read a lot of Stephen King in my 20's. Most of them were great. My favorite, though, was The Bachman Books. It was a compilation of four short novels that were all very good. The Long Walk is still one of my favorites.
Yeah, the "last inch" was probably a bit extreme. I know that imperfections in the green can cause a ball to wobble at slow speeds, but I also know that gravity affects a ball much more at slow speeds. So, maybe the better thing to say is the last foot...While I bet you are really good at reading greens, this mentality confuses me (along with @iacas's previous response). Most people's reviews about Aimpoint basically say that longer putts with multiple slopes is an...
I assume you have taken the Aimpoint class? If you had a 10' putt, do you think you'd be more likely to make it solely based on your Aimpoint calculations, or solely based on seeing someone else putt from a different angle to the hole (let's say your putt is from 11:00 and the other putt is from 1:00)?I'm not trying to be snarky. I am sincerely wondering which you would prefer. To me, it seems like a no brainer that I'd want to see an actual ball roll towards the hole...
 I didn't realize there were different fall lines.  I thought that a fall line was the line where a putt would be straight up hill or straight down hill.  I guess I'm wrong.  What is a fall line? Edit:  I see that you are saying that a green isn't uniformly sloped throughout and one must account for the different slopes.  I agree.  My point is that, around the hole, you can tell a heck of a lot from closely watching others putt.  Plus, from what I've read about Aimpoint,...
I agree.  If the putt is grossly offline with terrible pace, it doesn't tell you much.  I anyone, though, can get their ball to roll close to the hole, it tells you a lot.  Even if the putter puts sidespin on his putt for the first few feet (i.e. Billy Mayfair), if their speed is somewhat decent, the end roll of their ball should give you a great read.
I had 5 holes today where watching other people's putts helped me hole my own putt....   While the majority of someone else's putt will give you a general idea of the slope of the green, the last few inches of their putt will tell you exactly how the green slopes.  Therefore, if their putt ends up very near the hole, the last inch of their ball's roll will tell you where the fall line is.   I see many folks ignoring the roll of their playing partners putts and just...
 Congratulations!  I may have missed someone else's wedges, but I haven't seen the "F" designation before (F2, F6, FX).  Which grinds did you end up with?