or Connect

Posts by chipandcharge

Yes, how to characterize a bad contact will surely vary from person to person, but for me, the 1.4 additional strokes fit my golf scores quite accurately.  If it did not, I would have calculated my own figure so that I could look at the number of bad contacts I counted and hypothesized how much lower my score would have been if I could have cut my bad contacts in half, which was one recommendation on how to make use of this figure of merit.  Bottom line--a person can...
 This kind of yips described by the above post and an earlier one on focal dystonia has been reported on in a book that discusses fMRI research written by Sandra and Matthew Blakeslee, "The Body Has a Mind of Its Own."  They write about a particular form of yips that are experienced by experts, such as golfers, violinists, and pianists, where patterns have to be repeated with repeated precision.  They write that an expert develops what they call "memory maps" that direct...
Thanks for the confirmation from soccer.  In one of her articles, Dr. Vickers wrote that her quiet eyes intervention worked for free throw shooting on the University of Calgary's women's basketball team.  The article said that the basketball players were instructed to focus on a spot of the rim before making the free throw shot.  The particular spot could differ from individual to individual.  It didn't have to be an aiming spot.  It just needed to keep the eyes from...
 Since I brought up the research of Dr Vickers, I suppose it is my responsibility to look for actual data.  I believe she published her research in reviewed professional journals, so she would have to have solid data.  As for whole ball versus dimple, either could work if it quieted the eyes, which her research found was one of the two factors mentioned.  I can see why focusing on a single dimple works for me since I have double vision and actually see two golf balls.  I'm...
I just read about some research done by a Dr. Joan Vickers on the subject of "quiet eyes" for golfers and other athletes.  I found it very interesting, particularly since I used a variation of her advice before I ever found her web page, and my ball striking improved tremendously.  Here are two things that she  found in her research. You can find her by searching for her name and for quiet eyes.  She wrote a book on her research. First, low handicap golfers, whether...
Lihu, the article said that the thousands of rounds included golfers from scratch on up.  I don't know how far up.  The article did not give the standard deviation, so I don't know how wide the probability distribution was for this research.  The figure 1.4 is a very good fit fit for my play.  If it wasn't though, I would collect my own data over many rounds and come up with my own figure, and then use it to estimate how much my score would have been lower on any given day...
 Patch,  can't give a solid answer to your "how can I use it in my golf swing question because I don't now enough about golf, but I can make some comments relative to what I hear and read on the Internet.  I've seen the terminology "soft focus" used many times, which refers to not letting the appearance of the golf ball in your real swing change your swing from your practice swing.  Field dependent people would have more difficulty using soft focus.  I'm sure they can...
 I can't describe it exactly. The best advice I can give is to go to golflagtiops.com and search the web page for tutorials on the hitting, swinging, and the four-barrel swing.
Ernest--I don't recall reading about your specific combination of hitter on the backswing and swinger on the downswing, but there are articles on swinger on the start of the downswing and then converting to hitter through impact.  It goes by the name of the four-barrel swing.  I don't know how polite it is to mention another website here, but I found it on the golflagtips.com website.
 It may sound like something unreal, but I've read enough about it, conducted research on it, and made observations for years to be convinced that these differences do exist, to different degrees i different people, and to different degrees of being able to perform the task that uses a person's opposite field orientation.  If you simply think of the times you've heard people say that someone couldn't see the forest for the trees, or someone understood the overview but not...