or Connect

Posts by chipandcharge

I can give this eyes closed practice a try, which would be what looks like a small extension oftrying to emulate the cognitive processes of a sightless golfer.  I say "what looks like a small extension"because in trying to understand the cognitive processes of a sightless golfer, I had my cognitive processesanalyzed (tested) by a cognitive psychologist, and they turn out to be almost exactly the opposite ofthose that would be theoretically used by a sightless golfer. ...
I may be asking a question that has an obvious answer, but how important is having depth perception, and correct depth perception, at that, to the golf swing?  For three years, I have been fighting a problem related to retina damage in my left eye.  On the opthalmologis's' depth perception test, I score zero out of nine (can't see even the first one).  Furthermore, if I were to try to simply tap the ball with the butt end of the club, I would miss it completely, on the...
Kyle--thank you for what you wrote.  It triggered a thought in my mind as I read it.  I know enough from competing in tennis and volleyball tournaments to focus on the point at hand and not possible match outcomes, or one shot at a time.  I think I'm letting other thoughts creep into my mind.  The thought that came to my mind is that maybe I'm like the proverbial "front runner," the horse that runs freely at the start of the race when he gets out in front, but begins to...
I had a round today that is example of a problem that I have and I'm looking for suggestions.   The problem:  good front nine (43) and bad back nine (50).    This happens quite often.  The opposite hardly happens (bad front nine; good front nine).   My current hypothesis is that I either get over-confident and lose focus on the back nine, or I get tired and lose focus.  My main source of increased scores on the back nine is making bad contact with the ball.   When...
I'm working on making my actual swing at the ball be as close to my practice swing as possible so that I benefit more from the practice swing that I currently do.  Like many, by swing changes when the ball is there.  I have difficulty with the "ignore the ball" advice.  I didn't know why, but I think I do now.   I read about the works of Swiss psychologist Carl G. Jung, who said that people differ in how my their minds are energized by objects around them--when some...
Great post, Brakkus. Gives older learners some clues on how to improve adult learning. I took some tennis lessons from the then current coach of the Austrian Davis Cup tennis team, and he was able to get me to do things I prejudged as difficult for me to do. One difficult thing, though, is that some are more able to "let go," and others are not, based on their personal history of what happened when they did "let go." My history is not positive. My positive history...
Joekelly--neuroscientists have explanations for much of what you wrote.  When you look at gifted athletes and gifted musicians, fMRI research sows that they have superior abilities to develop what they call "memory maps," which the brain uses to direct the muscles to execute movements.  The more gifted the person, the more highly refined are the memory maps.  Furthermore, the more gifted, the more these memory maps are condensed and move from the frontal lobes to the...
On how long it takes for muscle memory to kick in, from what I know from research in how people learn to execute a biomechanical motion with repeated accuracy, it depends on your ability to repeat a procedure. This depends on how your mind is organized. People are distributed along a scale of being able to repeat a procedure (like divers, gymnasts, and ballet dancers on one end of the scale, and people who don't like to do the same thing twice on the other. If you...
Some time ago, I posted a note saying that I am working on making good contact as my major point of focus..  I read an article in Golf Digest that said that based on statistics over many rounds, each  bad contact contributes to 1.4 extra strokes.  Looking at my scores (21 index), my scores range from 89 when I make zero contact errors to 102 when I make eight contact errors.  This range seems to fit the statistical model.  I've tried focusinguon other parts of the game...
You misunderstood when you supposed that the players in the cart are in a hurry.  They aren't.