or Connect

Posts by Fred Fields

Sometimes we do things with good intentions, but they turn out wrong.   I started this thread with the intent that a  golfer could pass along some tip that he had learned from his experience that might give other golfers ideas about how they could improve their games. Every golfer wants to improve, but except for taking a lesson, most have no idea how.   It turned out to be a bad idea badly done.   Sorry.
I apologize. I started this thread badly. My goal is not to suggest that golfers not consult their pros when they need help with their game.   My original premise is that if you ask any golfer, "How can you improve your game?" Just about every one will answer..."Take a lesson." That's legitimate. My suggestion is that most golfers don't play the best that they could with their current game because they don't think on the golf course.   Here's another...
Maybe I should start with an example.   If you have a slice. It would be helpful if you teed the ball on the right side of the tee box and aimed across the fairway to the left side. This would give the entire width of the fairway to absorb your slice.   Most golfers tee in the middle of the tee box and aim for the middle of the fairway, only allowing 1/2 the fairway to save their possible bad shot.   And the opposite for hookers.
I'm trying to accept iacas' suggestion.   I haven't mentioned any enterprise on this thread.    I have what I believe is a legitimate belief that almost no golfer knows how to improv his scores.   I have another legitimate belief that most golfers don't play their best golf within their ability on the golf course because they don't use reasonable golf strategy.   I'm trying to open a discuission of golfing strategy for mid to high handicappers to lower...
My name is Fred Fields, I am 76 years old and used to be a 6 handicap player, with average scores of 78 to 82 playing a course which, at its longest measured 7200 yards, and I often played the longest tees, My average drive was 225 yards.   It is my belief that almost every golfer, from Tiger Woods on down, wants to improve his game, but almost none of us know how to do it, except to take lessons.   I have a theory that golf pros should teach 2 things to help...
Dear Golfjunky,   I'm glad you started us back on the original topic. I agree with you. Golf teaching professionals have an imporatnt role in golf. Your pro obviously is doing a good job helping you with the lessons he's giving you, and I'd recommend you take his advice and take a lesson on your short game, and be sure to ask him to help you by including greenside trap shots in the lesson.   They're the easiest shots in the game...you don't even have to hit the...
iacas,    I admit my criticism of the golf instructing profession is sweeping, because I believe that, as a rule, golf is badly taught.   It looks like golfjunky has a very good golf pro. He solved Junky's swing problem, and he recommended a short game lesson. Junky is getting his money's worth and, if he improves his short game and, with the new info on his swing, his scores will drop.   . I still maintain that to get the most out of his game, he needs to...
Wow! Blades4me got it exactly right!   Distance is the most overrated factor in golf for everyone but professional golfers, and even for them it's not as important as short game,   I'm an old guy...76 years old. In my younger days I was a 6 handicap, and often played the way back tees at Columbia Counrty Club, which any local golfer will tell you is 7200 yards. My driving distahce...225-230 yards. My best score from that distance...73. (That's +1,...
Golf Junky,   You've got the problem solved. Three lessons in 10 years, and those to fix a swing gone bad. I agree with you 100%. If you have a specific problem, your local pro, if he or she is any good, very well can help you solve it.   Did he give you any tips on reducing your score other than "This will help you hit the ball better." Because hitting the ball is not the only thing you need to know to improve your scores.   Every golfer wants to improve his...
Harmonious. You're right. This is a site for opinions and I've got dozens of them. Where golf is concerned, I disagree with the way it is taught...very vociferously.   As I said above. If golf were taught better, golfers would score better. As for your specific comments.   I appreciate The Golf Channel's commercials advertising and selling golf miscellany, cars, beer, etc. That allows me to watch it free. The gadgets I was referring to were the gadgets the...