or Connect

Posts by dfreuter415

Just curious:  When you started playing golf, was there a pro golfer that helped to stir your interest?   Living in Western Pennsylvania in the '60's and '70's, it isn't hard to guess that Arnold Palmer had a lot to do with my early interest in the game of golf.   I can pinpoint the moment to the 1960 Masters Tournament, watching on my vacuum tubed, black-and-white TV, the swashbuckling pro from Latrobe, Pennsylvania, make birdies on #17 and #18 to beat Ken Venturi by...
What forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why? I'm not sure that you could say that I ignore this, but recent etiquette dictates that you take off your hat and shake hands after holing out on the 18th green. Personally, I always shake hands, but I wait to see if the other golfers remove their hats. If they do, I do. If they don't, I don't.   To me, the shaking of hands is the important part of ending the day. But, as for the hat? I hope that I've shown respect...
There was an earlier thread about nature calling on the course.... http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course  Besides, researchers say our liquid waste is an effective fertilizer that not only promotes plant growth as well as industrial mineral fertilizers, but also would save energy used on sewage treatment... http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=human-urine-is-an-effective-fertilizer 
If you didn't, you might get Uromysitisis.
After watch that atrocity of dismembering a golf green, maybe it's time for a couple of yuks from America's Funniest Videos (only about a minute long)....    
I don't have the disposable cash to belong to a large country club where there are yearly dues, monthly dues, and food minimums, but I do belong to a semi-private club, River Forest, 25 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. I am a retired teacher and have been a member for more than 20 years. The initiation fee was minimal, and the yearly dues are only around $300. In addition, I only pay $16 to walk weekdays or $21 weekends. To ride the cost is $30/weekdays and $35/weekends. For...
 You 'da man, especially at age 71!  What really gets under my skin are kids riding in a cart on walkable course. Not only do they miss out on the health benefits, but in my opinion, the aesthetics of golf are enhanced when you walk. I appreciate you carrying the bag, because of the resistance, but it's no crime to get a pull-push cart. I still carry quite a few times every season, but I also have a 3 wheeled cart that saves some wear and tear on my back. (I, too, have...
Hi Covert, I am here to tell you that if you hit it near the green in regulation, you can have a single digit handicap. Since you've indicated that your putting is good, I will share a couple of articles by Greg Norman that I have used over the years to help my short game. In the first article Norman has a drill where he tosses the balls with his hand from around the green, rather than using a golf club. I've practiced this technique and believe it gives you quite a bit of...
As most golfers will tell you, hitting the ball straight is one of the hardest things to do. For whatever it is worth, here is my 2¢,,, To hit the ball straight I1) select a distant target, usually the flag on the green, a tree, or some other object2) select a target that is 3 to 10 yards away that is on the line to the distant target, a leaf, broken tee, or blade of grass3) align my hips and shoulders parallel to the line I want the ball to travel4) align my club face...
 I know what you mean. My basement must be like your garage.  I have a 4 shelf unit in the basement beside the golf clubs. Top shelf has winter golf glove, rain golf gloves, extra cabretta golf gloves, tees, and memorabilia; the second shelf has 8 dozen golf balls; the third shelf has my golf grips, solvent, tape, and regripping tools; and, the bottom shelf has shag balls and golf shoes. Good luck with the lessons. I took lessons when I was 25. I went to a Golf Digest...