or Connect

Posts by dfreuter415

For those interested here are some cold weather tournaments...   Chilly Open Chisolm, Minnesota This annual event started in 1984 and traverses three nine-hole courses set up on Lake Minnetonka. Wind chills of -31 degrees didn't stop 500 hardcore golfers from teeing it up in 2007.   Bering Sea Ice Golf Classic Nome Alaska Played on a six-hole, par-41 course laid out on the frozen Bering Sea. Participants get shotgun shells to use as tees and "snake bite remedies" —...
I've seen this one a couple of times. You get to the first tee and play with a couple of single digit handicappers. Somehow you are able to par the hole while they are making a bogie or worse. At that point, they think you are a sandbagger!
I agree. I feel the best way to go is by golfing with a caddie. I don't have the monetary resources to do that, but I have a 77-yo friend who belongs to a local club that has caddies. At the club he takes a caddie about 50 times a year. In the early spring or late fall he will play 9 holes and carry a bag with 5 or 6 clubs. He also plays another 10-20 times outside his club, usually riding a cart, but when we play my course, I will let him use my wife's push-cart. Many...
Pushy:It's nice to reply to another sexagenarian. I'm 64-yo, been golfing 50+ years and always try to walk. In 2014 I've played 50 times:  used a push-cart 41 times, rode 7  times carried my bag twice. Even the nine times I rode a cart, I always was on the passenger side so that I could walk whenever possible. Now, when I was 60 (or younger), my best estimate is that I would carry my bag at least 60% of the time. But, like you, once I hit 60, it was a whole new...
When I was 20, a friend of mine and I went to the PGA Team Championship at Laurel Valley. (The team championship, played under a variety of names, was a golf tournament on the PGA Tour from 1965 to 1972. It was only considered an official event from 1968 to 1972.) I know the pros today are hitting ridiculous distances, but watching Jack Nicklaus drive a ball at age 30 is indelibly etched into my brain. The distance, trajectory and accuracy was something that no one on the...
Par 3's under the lights are more fun to play than the regulation courses. You can see the ball better, and there are less lost balls, too.  
CarlSpackler:  I like your positive attitude. I do want to tell you a story about a friend, Sam, who has been golfing more than 40 years. He is an avid golfer that would golf more than 50 times a year and keep a spreadsheet of statistics that would choke a horse. But, to this day, he still does not have a hole-in-one. Now about 10 years ago Sam's wife, Mary, and my wife were enticed to join a ladies group called the "Driving Divas." A few of the ladies had some experience,...
Just curious how many people save their golf balls when they make a good score on a hole. Here are my last 8 (out of 13) eagles. Also, if you save them, how many do you have, and where do you keep them? (Mine are displayed in my game room.)  
 At age 64, what I did to gain yardage this year was move up to the senior tees at my local club. The difference is about 540 yards, or about 30 yards per hole. My last 5 scores from the white tees were 80, 80, 78, 81, 79 for 398. My last 5 scores from the blue tees were 83, 83, 80, 81, 82 for 409. Basically, the difference was two shots per round. Now that doesn't seems like a lot, but I agree with turtleback, "It is sure nice to be hitting wedges and short irons into...
This is a reiteration of what some of the prior postings suggested, but it has worked for me...Sometimes less is more. I've been golfing more than 50 years, and there have been several times that I felt like giving away my clubs. My plan was to abstain from playing golf for a couple of weeks and go hit balls at the range instead.  Once I return to the course my game returned to previous levels of competency. In a similar vein, there have also been a time or two that I...