or Connect

Posts by dfreuter415

I recently got into a putting slump of my own making.   Beginning in the winter of 2012 I decided to work hard all winter to improve my putting. I read Dave Pelz's Putting Bible,  and Joe Parent's, Zen Putting. Every night I went into our game room and spent 60 minutes working on fundamentals. I changed my putter grip to oversized and went traditional with the placement of my hands on the grip, right hand low, after being cross-handed for 15 years. It seemed to have...
I agree. I love playing with strangers just for that reason. I think you learn a lot about yourself in those types of interactions. On Sunday I was part of a threesome. After a few holes a single golfer caught our group and we offered to let him play through on the par 3, or if he liked, he could join us. The gentleman, named Tom, decided to join us. He was walking, as was I, and Jerry & Jack were on a cart. I had nice conversations with Tom as we walked the fairways after...
As seen by the responses, it is not a matter of golf being a social sport, because to some degree golf is social, but the question should be: When you decide to play a round of golf, on average, what percentage of the time is spent in socialization, and what percentage are you concentrating on your golf game. My wife likes 9 holes of golf and then dinner. She is 50% social and 50% spent of the fundamentals of her game. As for me, my average would be 25% social and 75% on...
For the third consecutive round, I started off very well, then had a string of bogies, and had to finish with a number of pars to shoot 80-81.
No shanks today, but on Sunday I play a public course that was dried out on a number of fairways. (The greens and approaches were well watered.)   On a par 5 I hit a great shot that ran forever, but I was on a dried out area of the fairway.  I knew that I couldn't hit my 3 wood for the second shot, so I pulled out my hybrid. I hit the ground just before the ball, the clubhead skipped of the concrete-like surface and hit the top of the golf ball. The result was the...
Best shot this week:   170 uphill shot to a plateaued green with a 4 iron to 10 feet. Missed putt but made par.
8/16 - 80 @ Rittswood GC, Valencia, PA 8/17 - 81 @ River Forest CC, Freeport, PA   Both scores from the senior tees.   In both rounds I started well, then went about 8 consecutive holes with nothing but bogies, and then recovered with several consecutive pars on the back 9.   My putting is still mediocre and that is costing me a few strokes per round.
Congrats. Looks like your hard work is paying off. I have enjoyed following your progress from the new fitted clubs, to the Edel wedges and putters, to the new putting greens, and the rest of it. You are a prime example of what I truly believe: The journey is more important than the destination. Take the time to smell the roses along the way. 
Well, I got the new HI this morning and I am now 9.7, the highest I have been in two years.   My 2015 golf goal is to keep my HI in single digits. This fall will be very interesting.
I agree with your assessment for the "average avid golfer." As for my story.... We used to have a plaid rug in the family gameroom. It was the absolute best practice aid that I could ever hope for. I would put my indoor practice cup on the line and practice "straight back and straight through" on my putting stroke. I then took that stroke to the course and made a lot of putts in the 3-6 foot range. Then we had a sewer backup in the neighborhood and it came into our...