or Connect

Posts by dfreuter415

Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell. In Outliers, Gladwell examines the factors that contribute to high levels of success.  
Valleygolfer, I think your decision should be based on the course you are playing. I agree that it is fun to speculate. My question to you is: What club have you added to your bag, so that you now need to get rid of one? It seems like you are set on getting rid of a fairway wood, so I would say to get rid of the 13.5° and the 17°, and add a 15°.  However, I do think that since you have fun speculating about your clubs, why not base the clubs in your bag on the course you...
Every year I would have my JV golf team play a two club match, but one of the clubs was a putter. (I did not want the country club members seeing teenage golfers hitting anything but putters on the greens.) Most of them picked 5 or 6 irons for their second club. It was a great way to have the kids play different kind of shots with the same golf club.   Ironically, every year one of the guys would shoot 41 with one club and a putter, and then the next day in a golf match...
1.  My total score 76 2.  # of birdies (or better) 2 3.  # bogies 6 4.  # doubles (or worse) 0 5.  Final match play results (win/lose and score) against my sandbagging 4 hcp buddy (I get 2 strokes) win 2&1
Crim,   I'm a lot like you. Here is my typical workout...  • Start with gap wedge and then hit 3-4 balls in order to my 4 iron.  • Then, I hit 3-4 balls with my hybrid, 4 wood, and 3 wood.  • Next, 3 balls with my 3 wood off of a tee.  • Then, I hit as many drivers as I need to feel comfortable.  • Finally, I hit 10 balls with my lob wedge, aiming at different targets. (I like to use the lob wedge as a cool down from the driver, similar to an exercise cool down...
Had a match at our local club and during the course of the round I hit three trees with the result being three balls OB.   On the other hand my opponent hit multiple trees with much different results. The first dropped straight down, but he still hit the green in regulation with his approach and made par. His second ended up in the middle of the fairway, while mine was OB. (He played the rest of the hole conservatively and won the hole with a bogie.) The third hit a...
Until I was 40 I played blades, specifically Ben Hogan Apex with Cleveland 588 sand wedge.   After 40 I changed to perimeter weighted clubs: first, Ben Hogan Edge and then Ping i3+, with a Ping Eye 2+ BeCu lob wedge.   My findings:   Reflecting back on my 50+ years of golf, I would say that blades have an advantage, ONLY when you have sufficient time to practice and hit a lot of balls. I grew up with blades and until the Eye2 irons came out in the mid 80's, didn't...
I was playing a club match and was one down going to number 8, a par 3, 170 uphill to a narrow green. I hit my first ball OB into the woods. I reteed and hit my 3rd shot to 4 feet and made the putt for a 4. The other player made a 5 and I won the hole.
43-38=81 @ River Forest
Hole #12, Par 5 Saxon GC, Sarver, PA - Actually, this was the best shots of the week. Eagle 3 on a par 5.   I hit a booming driver, TM R11, 9.5° and only had 190 yards left. I hit a TM V-steel 17° 4-wood onto the green about 20 feet away. I rolled a 20 foot putt into the hole with my Odyssey 2-ball puter.   This was my 13th eagle in the past 50+ years and my 3rd eagle in the past year and a half. However, this was my first putt for eagle since November of 1999 and 5th...