or Connect

Posts by dfreuter415

Sunday:   Suncrest #12, par 5 - Hit second shot to about 80 yards, but behind a pin oak tree. Opened a gap wedge, hit it very high, and the ball finished about 4 feet away from the pin. Unfortunately, I missed the birdie putt.     Thursday:   River Forest #11, par 5 - 80 yards from the pin in two again, but this time I didn't have to go over a tree. From the time I hit the shot I could tell it was good. The ball hit less than a foot from the cup and finished, you...
I don't know if this qualifies as a "weird quirk," but at this time of the year I put my preferred set of clubs in the basement and play my backup bag of clubs until April.
43-37=80 @ River Forest CC, Freeport, PA   2 birdies on the back 9   Played a better ball match with friends, gave 9 & 10 strokes to the opponents and 11 strokes to my partner. Lost on the 18th green.
 Thanks for moving the posting.
I'm just wondering how the golfers on this website feel about upgrading their clubs on a consistent basis versus using older technology.   Personally, I don't feel that the newer irons are significantly better than the 2002 Ping i3+ irons that I currently play.  I still play a Ping Eye 2+ BeCu lob wedge from 1990, and can't believe that the newer wedges would be any better. Golf companies continually market new clubs to sell, but they haven't convinced me that the newer...
If you are going to change out the shafts, I have a few recommendations:   1) Make sure you find a qualified repairman who has experience in shaft replacement. He will be able to properly fit you for the best results.   2) Get a quality shaft. Sometimes that can be pricier than you think.   3) If you haven't played graphite-shafted irons, play a round with a borrowed/rented set.  Graphite isn't for everyone.   I'm 64 and still play steel shafts. In fact, I even...
10/19 - 77 from senior tees at Saxon GC 10 GIR, 13 pars, 5 bogies, 32 putts
Before I retired from public education, I used to coach junior varsity golf. Every year I made the guys play a two club, nine hole tournament, one of which was the putter. (I didn't want the regulars at the golf course seeing a bunch of teenagers putting with five irons, or I would have made them use one club.)   The irony of the challenge was that someone would shoot 41 or 42 with two clubs, then go out the next day and shoot 45 with all 14 clubs.  Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h-h!
My biggest quirk is that I will threaten my putters if they perform poorly. Example, "One more putt like that any off to the the basement with you."    I actually play four different putters, (Ping B60, Ping Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball, and Odyssey White Hot XG #9), and will periodically put a different one in my bag, but only when the current putter has a bad day or two.
According to Golf Digest... "On average, 5 percent shoot in the 70s, 20 percent in the 80s and 27 percent in the 90s. The average score in America in 2005 was 98.3. So breaking 100 is, well, pretty average."