or Connect

Posts by Mr Havercamp

I took this picture of the Par 3 #5 hole at Shoal Creek, site of two PGA Championships, in Birmingham, Alabama while volunteering at this year's Regions Tradition Champions Tour tournament.  As a volunteer, I get to play the private course in November and am looking forward to trying out this Jack Nicklaus design.    
I was at the Masters Tournament for the Thursday round this year, and Dufner spit on the tee box of #12 in Amen Corner.  The crowd collectively groaned because it seemed that a.) he was spitting on almost holy ground and b.) the tee boxes and fairways are like perfectly vacuumed carpet, and it left a giant brown spot that ruined the aesthetics.  I'm a big Dufner fan, but dipping at Augusta National just ain't right.
I live in Montgomery and have volunteered at the Navistar LPGA Classic, which is coming back next year as the Alabama LPGA Classic, on the Senator Course at Capitol Hill.  Stacy Lewis won the tournament during her great run last year, and Lexi Thompson got her first career win there the year before.  If you like links-style golf, playing the Senator will let you put your game up against those of the girls on the LPGA circuit.   The last time I played the Legislator,...
I was able to attend last year's Masters on Thursday, as well.  You may know all of the information below already, but, if not, here's what I learned last year:   Be sure to get there when the gates open and walk briskly (no running at ANGC) to the first tee so you can see the ceremonial tee off with Palmer, Nicklaus and Player, which was, by far, the best part of the entire experience.    ANGC also has a photographer stationed in front of the clubhouse each day...
I've played Ross Bridge in Birmingham, Hampton Cove near Huntsville, Lakewood in Fairhope and the Legislator Course at Capitol Hill in Prattville.  They are all first-class and affordable, but my favorite of the bunch has been Ross Bridge, which has a great resort hotel on property.    The Senator Course you played at Capitol Hill has hosted the Navistar LPGA Classic for the last few years, which was won by Stacey Lewis in 2012 and Lexi Thompson in 2011, but it lost...
The Jack Nicklaus-designed Ocean Course from our condo balcony at the Hammock Beach resort in St. Augustine     My turn to putt at the Ocean Course     Damn fairway bunker!!!    
After lurking on the Sand Trap forums for a couple of months, I've decided to take the plunge and join the community.    I've been playing golf for about a year-and-a-half after deciding to take up the game at 42-years-old.  According to my wife, I've jumped in with both feet.  In addition to joining a country club and playing almost every weekend - and some weekdays when I can sneak out of the office for an afternoon - I'm addicted to watching the pros play as often...