or Connect

Posts by Big Lex

It's a very interesting story. I disagree with some aspects of it....I think it takes factual information, but spins it into certain theories and interpretations (i.e., Tiger was "hypnotized" or "isolated") which aren't proven or even well argued.   It also stops before the point at which I think the real story of Tiger becomes interesting: the collapse of his golf game.   But it's worth watching. Lots of good interviews, some new information we hadn't heard before....
You might be right.We probably have stats somewhere regarding this.....But even if you are right, I think skill still carries the day. It is easy to look at bad bounces and wiggling putts and conclude things are "random". But I would wager heavily that balls hit online still gave good results most of the time, and offline shots yielded bad results most of the time. In the proper proportion.I also like it when there is a bit of randomness to it. This isn't billiards. It's...
Regarding the DJ miss--I feel bad for him. I don't like it when people call athletes chokers. He played great. Sometimes people fail and make mistakes. It doesn't make DJ any less of a man; he isn't a loser, or a choker, or gutless. He just doesn't putt as well as others at his level and is going to be disappointed over this. Spieth seems to be the type of guy with the knack for getting it into the hole. I agree with everyone who says he has the strongest mind. I think he...
This is an area where it's easy to think people are cheating, but it's much harder to prove it.   My club is a great example: lots of people complain that certain people win all the time, and there are guys with 9 hcps who somehow seem to end up winning skills contests like closest to pin or longest drive with unusual regularity.   But I'm sure if you really studied these golfers at my club, it would be very hard to really find compelling evidence of cheating.   Now,...
It took me 10 years or 26 years, I'm not sure which.....so my advice to anyone is NEVER GIVE UP.   I took up golf at age 24. I was a med student and I never really could play enough to get good at it.   I learned to break 100 very quickly, within a couple of months playing.   I broke 90 for the first time about 4 years after I took up golf.   From that point, around age 28, I sort of stagnated for a long time as a bogey golfer who broke 90 maybe a third of the...
I play every weekend.....usually one day two of us walk, with caddies, while 2 ride. The other day, it's two carts. The time of the rounds tends to be the same, about 3:30 to 3:45 for the round. Sometimes under 3:30 if everyone is playing well.  This is on a small country club, lots of hills, slope 134, 6400-ish from the whites, ~ 6680 from the tees most men play, 6850 tips.   I think walkers and riders play at about the same pace....but to be honest I suppose you'd have...
Great question.   I think that anything over 4 hours for an 18 hole round is too slow. Does that mean that any group that takes over 4 hours should be penalized or reprimanded by the staff? No...I think we all have bad days and there are times when rounds take longer, so we shouldn't rear up on our hind legs every time things slow down a little.   But it should be unusual for an 18 hole round to take over 4 hours.   It should take about 3.5 hours at least 80% of the...
Get handicap index below 7.  Currently at 8.8.   What I really want is to break 80 more often.  Instead of once or twice a season, to do it every second or third time I play.   All the pieces seem to be there, I just haven't been able to get them all together often enough. 
Yeah he had a good year in 2013....I think his only chance of getting it back is to take time off and reboot. Clearly some of this is mental....I believe that being caught between two or more methods is partly a mental issue, too...a long absence from golf might clear cobwebs for him, etc.If I were advising him I'd suggest he take a minimum of six months off. No golf whatsoever. No practicing, no putting, no chipping, etc. Put the clubs away completely. Maybe a full year. ...
That wasn't his only poor short game shot. He half bladed a very simple chip in the fourth round I think. I thought there was one more very poor short game shot. I think he is much more prone to shots like that than he was before, and more so than typical tour pros. Call it whatever you want...he is prone to uncommonly crappy execution in short game shots or he is yippy....In this case, the thing that seemed to bring it on was the humiliation he must have been feeling....