or Connect

Posts by Big Lex

None of that has anything to do with why I argue Pelz's stroke. I argue it because people blindly deride him, often without actually even reading Pelz's writings, and/or not making an effort to think ritually about it. (Note: That is not a personal or specific accusation against you or iacas or anyone...)One thing I'll caution you on....."you don't see any good putters that are SBST..." You can't judge this from simply watching on TV. Again, as photographed in The Putting...
Correction----That portion of his spine, in the vicinity of his shoulders, between the hump and the base of his SKULL, is quite close to HORIZONTAL
There are so many places in your message where you misunderstand the point you are quoting, where you make assertions that simply ignore the arguments I've made against them, etc., that even I don't have time to address them all.One point I will take on, though, is your use of the Luke Donald photo. The angle drawn on the photo is not important or relevant. Thenonly portion of the spine that we are concerned with is the portion in the vicinity of the shoulder girdle. At...
  There were two typos, one in the original post I made, and the other in the reply to McGleno. To correct them: Pelz states the **hands** must be directly, plumb, below the shoulders. The arms CAN be bent, at the **elbow** and the hands can still remain directly under the shoulders. If you disagree, you don't understand "basic geometry." They certainly are impressive in their ball striking, yes. But does a full swing really start the ball on a precise enough path to make...
LOL. Yeah...I should have broken it into chapters....or maybe volumes.It's pointless anyway. Nobody but iacas will read it, and he will probably dispute every point in it...like I said it's like trying to argue politics or religion. I don't know why I took the bait.
 I entirely understand what you mean by "manipulation." But I believe that is a misleading and ultimately inaccurate term. You essentially imply that there is some qualitative biomechanical difference between rotating the shoulder girdle in one plane than in another....in a plane perpendicular to the spine, versus all other planes....and that the perpendicular movement is simpler and easier. This isn't true. Biomechanically, it isn't really true, and regarding real world...
 What appears to you as the "shoulders" in that photo are not functional joints, so how they look is meaningless.  The cross bar where human shoulders would be does not move or function like shoulders in this model. In this model...the shoulders of a human are modeled by a single hinge attached to the "arm." So whether they look horizontal or sloped or whatever you wish to call them is meaningless, and it neither proves iacas's assertion, nor does it disprove what I...
I have an Edel putter with the stock round Edel grip. I prefer it over flat top putter grips. I think alignment is more accurate, and it feels as if the chance of rotating the face offline with your hands is less with a round grip. It's a feel thing...
Something overlooked in the debates about arc v. SBST is that Pelz agrees that as the stroke gets longer, it is necessary to have some arc in the stroke or it becomes to difficult bio mechanically. Pelz also does not say you can't putt very well with an arc stroke. He simply says that it is an advantage to have a SBST putter path, and that it is achievable without too much difficulty. Even if someone believes ardently in the arc stroke, it is still to that person's...
I used to have mechanical thoughts and keys...things like "keep right knee stable", or "hands high" or whatever. I learned the I do better if I think only of something relating to rhythm...like an actual cadence ("tick took"). If for some reason I want to monitor a certain feel in the swing, I definitely do much, much better if it's a feeling regarding the club, rather than my body. So, I might have years ago tried to feel myself "release the right side," whereas now I...