or Connect

Posts by Big Lex

I am a 10.7 index golfer. If we could calculate handicap indexes on different phases of my game, I am probably about a 6 or 7 in driving, probably 12-13 with iron and hybrid/fairway wood play. My average score is a little under 90, and I post all my scores and don't take gimmes and so forth. In other words I think my handicap is an accurate one and not a low vanity hcp or a high sandbagger number. I think if a tour pro drove for me, on my course, assuming he would...
I came across an article today about Rory McIlroy's preparation for the upcoming Open at Hoylake.  Interestingly, it appears McIlroy believes Hoylake will be set up a quite a bit more lush and soft than in the last Open held there.  For those who don't remember the 2006 open, the course was brown, burned out and running....Tiger won the Gold Medal hitting only a single driver the entire week.   I like variety in major championships, and to see a British Open played on a...
Regarding the name of the club and pictures, I could do this but I won't out of respect for the owners.  It is a privately owned club, not an equity club, and I wouldn't post pictures or otherwise identify the club without their permission.  
Neshanic is great.   There is also Royce Brook, which has both public and private 18s, and is excellent.   If you are totally public, then the best places have been suggested.  However, if you can get onto private clubs, the best one in the Morristown area is Morris County Golf Club.  It's an incredible course.     JP
Some more specifics--   The trees in question are mostly pines, many of them "Christmas tree" shapes, with very wide branches.  They are very tall and some have 30-40 foot "wingspans".  A few years back, many had their lower branches trimmed, so that there were no branches lower than about 10 feet, but that has had limited effect, as the surviving branches simply droop down.     Of course this isn't the kind of thing that you can really do well with words; as you...
I belong to a very nice mid-level country club in central NJ.  We have a great golf course on hilly terrain.    We are a family owned club (non-equity), and management changed recently.  The new managers and the owning families are, happily, very interested in golf course and making improvements to both the course and the clubhouse.   However, one of the things they are doing that has caused controversy is cutting down alot of trees.   Our course has hundreds of...
80 (39-41) at Twin Brooks Country Club, Watchung NJ, Sunday.  Very difficult golf course and my best 18 there ever.  I've had two better scoring rounds on other courses, but given the difficulty of the courses involved, this was definitely the best round of golf I've ever played.     I hit 12 greens in regulation and played the 6 hardest holes on the course in one under par. 31 putts, which isn't my best, but I made lots of saving par putts and hit many excellent lag...
I like this "new" emphasis in teaching.  It is built around the conditions of a good ball-club impact.  It isn't built around someone's concept of an "athletic" swing or some other bio-mechanical idea. It isn't concerned with overly analyzing swing positions on video and so forth.      For years, I tried what was at the time the type of swing most recommended: A slight move off the ball to "load up" the right side, followed by a weight shift and then the forward...
The only public issue here is whether there was domestic violence involved. If there is anything from the accident investigation that suggests this, I think it's important that it be vigorously investigated, to protect the children in the home.
One candidate has to be Lorena Ochoa's drive on the 72nd hole at the US Open at Cherry Hills a couple of years ago. Drop kicked it about 6 inches behind the ball, and about 80 yards into the lake. Given the stature of both the player and the event (AND she was in the lead at the time I think) makes this one pretty awful.