or Connect

Posts by Big Lex

LOL. OK....I think he has the yips. You sound as if you are sure he doesn't. And we're not getting anywhere debating it. Only Tiger himself knows for sure.
That is one example of yips. But that isn't the only one. Charles Barkley has full swing yips, and it isn't just a flinch before impact.The yips can be defined as a pervasive pattern of errors in a golf swing where the golfer loses motor control. It can be a flinch, an inability to take the club back, a tremor....it can occur on putts only, or putts and chips, or chips only, or wedge shots only, or driver only....some or all of the above....it can be present all the time,...
Amen.
Yes....definitely....if the players didn't hit a series of great shots under pressure, it would have been just an ordinary finish. Can't argue with that.
From another thread, where we got off topic and into Tiger's alleged yips....Couldn't any incorrectly struck shot (off center hit, contact at the wrong point of the downward arc, huge face angle error) be described as bad technique? Yes, of course...if technique is perfect for the shot at hand we expect a good result, and if technique is bad we expect a bad result.The point is how large the errors were, and how frequent. If you can fix an amateur's skilled wedge shots in...
The much-quoted Mayo clinic study found players with the yips to be suffering from what is called a "focal dystonia" by neurologists.This is actually my field--I am a neuropathologist. The focal dystonia thing - based on a limited evaluation of a few players - is merely a description of what is happening at the macroscopic level. The cause of dystonia, and of tics and spasms and so forth, is not really known. Whether golfers develop yips because of physiologic decline,...
Fair enough. Maybe so. It will be fun to watch the next few years.
I think in terms of peak value - which I am defining as performance during a player's top 10-15 years - there is no doubt Tiger is the greatest golfer ever. Total career value, you have to give the nod to Jack. Regarding some of the reactions to my statement about him having the yips....the yips come and go and players are often able to put the condition into remission so to speak. But as I believe Snead or Jack Burke or Demaret once said, if you've had 'em, you've got...
It is interesting to me that the objection to calling TPC a major is nearly 100% based on concerns over rating and ranking players across decades, but ignores any discussion of the merits of the tournament. I agree with you, but (obviously) only up until the last three sentences.You've very clearly and concisely stated what is important here: that "The Majors" is simply an idea we have, it's not anything in the rule book, it's not anything we "need" to rank players. It's a...
Exactly. The very concept of the majors was created as a result of one player's opinion, and he changed the focus from what Jones called The Majors to what are now regarded as majors.To my mind, this means it can change, and should change if it reflects the opinions of contemporary players, particularly the greatest champions. If Rory and Tiger and Phil, for example, were to say they considered it a major, that would be a powerful statement.