or Connect

Posts by metrybill

Really.  tell us who   Really?  Tell Us any Great player whom Tiger has climbed over on Sunday.  His red, Sunday shirt is a sham.  If he is not ahead by Saturday, he doesn't win. By My count the Tigger is totally irrelevant on Sunday, unless he is already in the lead. He is like ....., looks good but smells bad.  Hogan, Hagen, Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper, would own this guy.   .
I hope to give all of you some food for thought and welcome your critical comments. Keep in mind that I am not an expert, just an avid golfer and love the topic.    When all is said and done, I think the microscopically short list of the best ever in the "modern" era should be in alphabetical order: Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones (in a different category), Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods,(Before them, including Walter Hagen,we have an entirely different topic.)   At 38...
I like this format.    Q: What am I working on? A. Solid, ball first contact with irons. Hit the little ball before the big ball. Turn the upper body, back turned to the target, elbows "feel" level, but the left elbow is probably above the right elbow.  Then separate the lower body motion from the upper body reaction to that.  Lower body must lead the downswing.; the upper body reacts.   Q:  Why am I working on this? A.  Ball first contact is THE key to better or...
I play in the deep South, lots of tight, bare and very wet lies,esp. green side.  Try this short game (40 yds. or less) technique with practice only, a technique which I learned from a former Ryder-Walker player of long ago, now deceased.  This is only to be "attempted" in extreme circumstances, no other standard options, really bad lies, match play,yips, cuppy, etc.  Much to my surprise, I have seen a couple of PGA pros practicing this at the Zurich Classic in NOLA at the...
Is it ok to update my own post?  For those of us who over hook, block and hit fat shots (under plane, "stuck" down swings), try these, too. This are sometimes called "better player" mistakes. (for the record, I don't claim that description)  I am still looking for Bagger Vance's holy grail, my authentic swing, the one God gave me.    For those who don't know of him check out Pete Styles' videos from the UK, samples...
I am working on two swing images rather than swing keys, i.e., I picture a full motion not a position.  Keep in mind that I tend to hook, and block my shots, with fat shots and I am not recommending this for everyone.    Back swing: getting the butt of the club pointing at the ball at the point in the backswing when by right forearm is parallel to the ground.    Forward swing: See this Tom Watson video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cntSpVbZo for working on shoulder...
I have had four GPS devices (3 SkyCaddie and 1 Garmin) and I have played with many who have had the hand held, lasered devices. Without a doubt in my opinion the SkyCaddie Watch is the way to go if you already know the course.     If you don't know the course, then the other SkyCaddie models offer far more information than you can get from the Watch or Apps. Ideally, unless you are low single digit handicapper, if you can afford it the best thing would be a SkyCaddie...
Bobbyand Byron.
Jack.
OK, MVMAC. I was encouraging a novice.  I said admittedly oversimplified, didn't I? IMO, your advice is too sophisticated for a novice.  You forgot to address the rest of the post, which encouraged lessons and proper club fitting. At less than the expert level, we learn to score by playing our tendencies until our tendencies become more refined and predictable through knowledge acquired through the search and practice.  We play with the game with what we show up with on a...