or Connect

Posts by metrybill

Love the chart. Thanks.    More fuel for the fire:   Here are some of the players Jack beat (finished second) in his 18 majors wins.  The numbers in parentheses show their career finishes in majors (1st, 2nd, 3rd).    Arnold Palmer    (7,10, 2)                                  HOF (Hall of Fame) Tony Lema        (1,1,0 )*                                                                         * only played 10 years before his death in his mid 30's.  Gary Player    ...
Fun stuff, no? 
Nicklaus had only one teacher: Jack Grout. Never really changed his swing, at least until he became a Seniors/Champions player, when he became a marginally bit flatter. 
Ryder Cup records of Jack v. Tiger do not compare favorably for Tiger.  http://www.rydercup.com/usa/history/2014-ryder-cup-player-records    Tiger's injuries have been largely self-inflicted, not always part of just living.  Over the top training, sometime Seal-type training. Ridiculous.    If Tiger will follow Rory's golf-oriented-only training regimen, Tiger might have a shot at coming back.     Here are some of Tiger's problems, in no particular order of...
I like the BOAT moniker. Thanks.    EVERY Major winner was at that point in time better than everyone else for that week.     Colin Montgomerie is a lesser version of Tom Kite, who DID win a major.     Montgomerie is not a gnat on Ben Crenshaw's buttocks btw.Lanny Wadkins,Time Kite., and Weikopf.   Steve Sticker IS the better player than any current player, who has one Major. Level of competition    Peter Thomson is the most underrated Majors Champion.    One...
I AM one of the 18>14 men.  Jack IS the greatest of all time, at least until unseated by Tiger.  The latter is quickly losing ground in his quest, but there is still time.   Not sure I like the GOAT moniker for the Greatest Golfers of All Time.      Having said that, let me express my admiration for Nicklaus, Tiger, and so many others and my perspective as a 66 y.o. player of 50 years. Please bear with me. Please.     It's interesting to note that most of the...
You are really onto something here. This is pure Hogan and Tom Watson, the latter of which emphasized in his instructional book the idea of trying to squeeze the elbows together through impact.  Here is a good video:     There is actually a training aid that you may buy relatively inexpensively which is an elastic band, essentially two large rubber bands joined at the middle, which wrap around the forearms to ingrain the feel.     Another form of this is to try to...
Open to conversation.  If he promotes the 2" shoulder blade takeaway back to the target for a 90* shoulder turn, then shouldn't it be a 2" move of the left shoulder blade back to square, and another 2" left shoulder blade move behind to a full shoulder turn follow through?  Don't get me wrong, I like this idea but I think it is grossly oversimplistic. 
Jack v. Tiger. It's a 2 man list, isn't it? Wonderful.   Those of you who have the math and engineering skills, try to compute how far Tiger would hit the ball with a Nicklaus,steel, heavier  43", steel shafted driver (Nicklaus), 200 sq. cm, today.  
Non sequitur here: you decide.  Not totally on point but close.   Pinehurst no. 2 is a great golf course.  No doubt. Let's face it, Scottish courses are the seminal courses for golf, also no doubt.  Having said that, I don't consider Pinehurst No. 2, as redone, representative of the best of what American golf courses have brought to the game. I think the USGA was trying to make a statement about its desire to "go green" and water bare, EPA friendly. Pinehurst no. 2, as...