or Connect

Posts by metrybill

You are really onto something here. This is pure Hogan and Tom Watson, the latter of which emphasized in his instructional book the idea of trying to squeeze the elbows together through impact.  Here is a good video:     There is actually a training aid that you may buy relatively inexpensively which is an elastic band, essentially two large rubber bands joined at the middle, which wrap around the forearms to ingrain the feel.     Another form of this is to try to...
Open to conversation.  If he promotes the 2" shoulder blade takeaway back to the target for a 90* shoulder turn, then shouldn't it be a 2" move of the left shoulder blade back to square, and another 2" left shoulder blade move behind to a full shoulder turn follow through?  Don't get me wrong, I like this idea but I think it is grossly oversimplistic. 
Jack v. Tiger. It's a 2 man list, isn't it? Wonderful.   Those of you who have the math and engineering skills, try to compute how far Tiger would hit the ball with a Nicklaus,steel, heavier  43", steel shafted driver (Nicklaus), 200 sq. cm, today.  
Non sequitur here: you decide.  Not totally on point but close.   Pinehurst no. 2 is a great golf course.  No doubt. Let's face it, Scottish courses are the seminal courses for golf, also no doubt.  Having said that, I don't consider Pinehurst No. 2, as redone, representative of the best of what American golf courses have brought to the game. I think the USGA was trying to make a statement about its desire to "go green" and water bare, EPA friendly. Pinehurst no. 2, as...
New to the game? Time-tested golf cliches:    Playing 9 or 18 alone is common.  Top amateurs and pros do it all the time, or did it in their past.     Play short tees to learn and to become confident with the short game; and also play long tees to learn the importance of the long game.   A poor short game puts stress on the long game.  A poor long game puts stress on the short game.   Spend as much time as possible (75%) on the driver, wedge and putter.  After you...
Hard, if not impossible, to disagree with that.  However, after playing at a fairly high level for 50 years (3 to 12 hdcp.), I do know what I have seldom if ever seen and would like to "try" for a PW/GW type club with a thing sole and aggressive, leading edge and low bounce.  Even the best fitters (mine are James Leitz and David Marchand, LA) tend to have their preferences and a limited range of "try" options in stock.  If you can get James' attention and time, he can...
I would like a thin sole with an aggressive, V-shaped grind.  Anything like this out there? 
Bottom LIne: The "sight devices" are great for "to the pin" distances.  These don't tell us much about carry distances.  How many of us are that good and consistent?  Generally speaking, until you get to be a 3 hdcsp. or better, "to the pin" distances are wonderful but not entirely useful.  It depends on club type, ball spin, trajectory, etc.     The GPS devices are far better for minimum and maximum carry distances, front-middle-back distances. Love the simplicity and...
Jack is too much of a Gentleman, an Ambassador of the game, second only to Palmer, to say what he really thinks about Tiger and his "game."     At least some of this discussion has an element of perception of the person, not just the golfer.  Fair or not, it is there.  No one is going to ever confuse Tiger with a Gentleman golfer.  I truly hope I am wrong. I think Tiger is popular largely, and well deservedly so, for his game. I don't think there are a lot of people who...
to formula428    There is nothing remotely lame about playing The Game by yourself.  In fact, Kudos for your found love of the Game.   When I was 16 I got the "fever." Very small guy (then), learned to play with Everyman (quis que), plumbers, electricians, laborers, whites-blacks-immigrants), poor, millionaires, lawyers, doctors, Indian chiefs, mentally and physically ill or disabled (e.g., polio), ... ProFootball hall-of-famers, ...., you show up at the first tee and...