or Connect

Posts by ayysolapsu09

So I do apologize if this has been brought up in the pages before, but here it goes anyway.     For the sake of argument, let's assume two basic groups for the game; that is a mid-to high-handicapper's mental game vs a low-to-scratch handicapper's mentality.  They are pretty diverse groups, with a large span in between each group (20 HC and 10 HC are both considered mid to high, and 5 and scratch are both low and scratch), so it's intentionally broad in scope....
I have had one so far in the 8 years I've been playing.  It happened on November 17th, 2012, and there were several awesome things about that hole in one besides the actual hole in one.  I was playing Heritage Hills Golf Course in York, PA with my dad.  It was the first time I have ever played that course (awesome thing #1), and I actually had a witness (#2) since I play alone more often than not.  It was on the 5th hole, which was severely downhill par 3 playing around...
I'd have to agree that stationary is difficult to do. But this month's golf digest has hank haney telling us that the right foot should stay on the ground as long as possible. So I doub he's advocating a stationary right foot (something that I doubt you can do and get good power), but there has to be something to the idea of delaying the right foot coming up. Maybe it's not so much as a forced, contrived thing as it is something that is a byproduct of a solid swing?
I normally don't really ask questions like this, but I wanted to get some thoughts on this subject.     1)  Does anyone really actively think about the right heel/foot and if it comes up or not?  I certainly don't right now, but I don't know if that's an active part of the swing thought for you guys.   2)  If you guys do think about the right foot, do you think about keeping it on the ground or do you think about driving it in a certain direction?  I've read that...
I guess that I'm one of those "chops" who shouldn't be playing with blades, but I still want to.     At the end of last year, I got a hole in one with my old set (9 iron, perfect shot, should've been there).  Not even two weeks later, I put $150 down on a used set of Mizuno MP-33's that I found on Craigslist.  Why, you ask?  Because I've been thinking about doing this forever, and I decided to pull the trigger, sell my old irons, and make the switch permanent....
This year started out somewhat similar for me.  I shot an 88 in one of my rounds, and not even a week later I shot a 102.  I've been lingering in the 90's for a little while until I shot an 87 and 85 back to back on the same course last week (definitely didn't make all of the same mistakes, but def. made some of the same ones and some different ones as well).  For me, I feel like I have a solid mental game in that I know when to take my medicine and play the safe shot....
I like fading the ball as well, and I can't really seem to get myself to draw the ball consistently off the tee (nor do I like the shot shape as much).  I align my feet and body lines left, and align my club face in between where I am aiming and where I want the ball to end up (not quite at the target, just a little to the left of the target).  I then unwind from the top and try to aggressively hit left as hard as I can while trying to hit it from the inside.  One thing...
Yes, but only with long irons so that I can get a feel for hitting the center of the club face with the long irons.  On the course, I just hit one more club and put the ball back in my stance with an abbreviated follow-through, regardless of the club in hand.  It usually works out just fine, except when it doesn't :)
I think one question you want to ask yourself is why you want to fix it.  I have a fade myself, but I want to fix it not because I think a draw is better (I don't, I think a fade can be a better ball and more reliable than a draw), but because the way I'm hitting the ball I am not coming from the inside enough, and I'm coming over the top on my downswing. I have too many compensations that worked for a while, that aren't working now, and that need to be addressed, and...
On numerous occasions I have hit fades that have gone as far if not farther than my buddy's draws. As long as you are striking the ball in the middle of the clubface, your angle of attack is good, and your alignments are what they should be, then you can get a lot if useable distance out of a fade, meaning that it still stays in the fairway (look up knucklefade from the encyclopedia Texarkana online and you'll see that it's the new ball flight's version of how to hit a...