or Connect

Posts by bkuehn1952

I agree with everyone that states the markers can be moved.   A group of courses run by a regional government authority mark the 150 yard distance with a 4 x 4 sunk into the ground about 3-4 feet.  The marker stands about 5 feet out of the ground and most have a bluebird bird house attached.  One could lift these markers out of the ground with some effort.  They are located about 3-4 yards off the fairway   I asked the USGA what one should do if one of these moveable...
I joined a group of strangers on the first tee, a par 5.  I had not seen the first guy hit but the next two flared their drives right.  I unexpectedly hit a good drive down the middle.  I began walking up the middle of the fairway.  The other three guys were in carts and took off to the right.  I watched them hit and then walked on to my Titleist in the fairway.  I hit a poor 2nd shot that found a water hazard.  Disgusted, I grabbed my bag and began walking forward when I...
One suggestion is to let your fellow competitors know that you are relatively new to competitive golf and that they shouldn't assume you know all the finer points about what is expected of you.  More experienced players will often help you along and make sure you don't violate some rule or point of etiquette. Fourputt made a good suggestion to familiarize yourself with commonly encountered Rules (water and lateral water hazards, unplayable lie both in and out of a bunker,...
Handicap distribution is somewhat like the tip of the iceberg.  Such a large percentage of people do not maintain a handicap that the actual portion measured is in the minority of golfers.  Then there is a large percentage of people who maintain a handicap but play a bit fast & loose with the Rules.   There are a lot of players out there that can kick my 9.2 index in the butt but I am pretty confident that if one picked a random golfer off the course, he/she would have a...
The ability to play when you want is a big issue.  You should decide which course is going to be easiest to access at the times you want and not be filled with 4-somes.   Two factors that I value are the ability to walk the course and proximity to home.  If either course limits walking then I would scratch it.  Also, I don't really want to drive 25-30 minutes one way to hit a few balls before dinner or play 9 before it gets dark.  So time/distance is important to me,...
My experience is that the traffic can be horrendous at times.  San Antonio is a large sprawling metropolis.  My first recommendation would be to get a home as close as you can to your job.  Second is be aware that certain areas will flood during intense storms.  Lastly, I really like the NW area (La Cantera, Cedar Creek) but almost anywhere is going to be decent. (Pecan Valley is closed)
You are on - but I will need a stroke a side! 
 Back in 1988 I began to keep stats.  Not really sure why but it probably had to do with signing up for a handicap.  In any event, my stats include both in season and out of season rounds.  The only rounds I don't count are when the conditions prevent playing under the Rules of Golf or where I don't play under the Rules. Year     Avg Putts    Fway    GIR     Score    Sand/Save     Ending Hcap 2014         33.0       59.8%  41.2%    80.6          21.1%             9.2 My...
Cold air is denser than warm air.  I have heard that one will lose about 1 foot for every degree under 70 degrees.  One will see less fall off from wedges and with driver you may lose 13 yards or so. I typically play 1 or 2 clubs more when playing in significantly cold weather (40 degrees and under).
I did not have any particularly great shots in 2014 so I will work with memorable.  18th hole.  Weather is rolling in with really dark clouds and thunder (no visible lightning yet).  Jogged to my tee shot and pulled a club while running.  Hit a laser of a 9-iron to two feet.  Ran to the green, tapped in, ran to the car, threw my bag in the trunk, got in the car and all Hell broke loose - heavy rain, wind, lightning, as I drove out of the parking lot.