or Connect

Posts by bkuehn1952

Many people, including me, have a bit of trouble playing into a low sun.  I understand I need to make my normal swing and trust in the results.  Still, the tendency is to "peek" in a usually vain attempt to see where the heck the ball went.  It is especially difficult to stay with your swing when your fellow players are not especially sharp sighted.   Any ideas or tips?  Maybe I need a pair of sunglasses for these situations?
In January I was shoveling snow.  In late March through May, I struggled a bit.  The handicap index was creeping up and many rounds I was close to a bogey golfer.  The wet and cool conditions hurt my distance off the tee and put more stress on the other phases of the game.  I am playing well right now.  Handicap index is trending down.  Had a few rounds in the mid to high 70's, which is good for me.  My game tends to come and go every couple weeks so I try to enjoy the...
Mine usually hit something and don't realize their full potential.  Of the ones I have found, probably far side of the parallel fairway - 50 yards or so. I once was playing with a couple guys I joined on the 1st tee.  On one hole, one of the guys sliced his ball over a very large pond and swamp area  on #7 on to dry land in the rough on #2.  Easily 200 yards away and probably a 400 yard walk around the hazard.  He didn't follow the ball's flight and thought it was lost.  I...
@MEfree- thanks for the Decision.   @Rulesman- that makes sense.  Unless or until the Committee makes a Ruling, we don't know whether the area should have been treated as GUR so the player is required to report the situation.   As it turned out, the player was not going to win anything and whether he was DQ'd or not made no difference in the results.  In fact, he may have reported the situation and been told the ground was not GUR; I did not ask him and I was not his...
Here is an incident that actually took place last week in a tournament.  The tournament was held at a public access course so frankly the course was not marked as one might prefer for a tournament (e.g. hazard stakes missing in areas, GUR not marked, etc...)   A player hit is ball into an area of very rough ground.  The hazard (swampy land) had once extended into this area but the course was in the process of widening the landing area.  This area had never been planted...
You are not missing anything.  The league's approach is faulty.  Eventually the two older gentlemen's league handicap indexes should decrease to make them less competitive but unfortunately that may be after they have locked up the championship. I assume you are using a league handicap in lieu of their GAM index.  If the GAM index is used then it may be a long time before the effects of playing from the "Gold" but reporting it as "White" makes any dfference.  They are...
I do not believe there are any par 3 or executive courses on the island.
 So your position is that as long as you or a group you are in play within the time/pace guidelines, any group playing faster must slow down and play at the pace you have set? I can understand that position when there is no clear hole ahead of you. In this instance, however, you were able to pickup your pace which would seem to indicate you were not right behind the group or player in front of you. Next time just let them play through. 
Don't mistake a "best ball" with a scramble.  A "best ball", unless someone is using the term incorrectly, involves each player playing their own ball into the hole.  Then the team looks at each score and records the best score or "best ball."  You play all the shots but sometimes your score won't be the one used.  At the end of the day, you may have shot an "85" and 6 of your individual hole scores were used.  "Best ball" can be either gross (no handicap strokes) or net...
Thirty years ago, prior to beginning to play competitive golf, I made sure I was used to playing every shot by the Rules AND that I understood the Rules. My friends and playing buddies were pretty relaxed about the Rules so it took some effort to change my mentality. One has to be ready to hit that 3rd provisional after pumping the first two into the woods.   Frankly, I would be surprised if your handicap goes lower.  You may be a member of that small minority of people...