or Connect

Posts by martee

My tee selection is simple, what set of tees offer me a challenge yet permits me to have scoring opportunities.  In short if I can't reach the par 4s in regulation, etc. then I am playing a course too long.   For me, my driver carry is 207 yards, so I stick with 6100 to 5800 yards (my home course that would be white or green, seniors).  I can stretch to 6200 yards but in all honesty it isn't all that much fun since it takes all of me to match my handicap,...
Some good advice above.  Compared to you I am but a youngster, 66 going on 67.  You sir however have a longer drive than I do, my driver carry is 207 yards, though my 5 iron carry is 160 yards.  I have messed with various driver lofts, also went to graphite iron shafts.  I have replaced the long irons with hybrids, a 3 and 4.  Even have a 5 but dragging my feet on pulling the 5 iron out of the bag.  Another area you can get a few more yards is the ball, try all of them,...
I thought I would share the fact that I have for several years employed the Approach Shot Strategy of Center of the Green.  I have made several adjustments to this approach strategy: 1.  For multiple tier greens, I adjust the carry distance to the center of the tier that hole is on, always error longer than shorter. 2. For sever sloping greens, I adjust the carry distance so that I am below the hole, usually meaning I am taking the carry distance to the front of the...
First I wish the OP the best of luck.  Not to pile on but the strategy/play developed on paper isn’t going to fly as expected in reality.   There are IMO some flaws in the theory: - Accuracy versus Distance both of are equal importance - Actual distance of clubs will come up short based on USGA’s computation (Driver needs to be 250 yards, second shot needs to be 220 yards) - Distance gaps between 6-iron and Driver is a problem as is the gap between the PW and...
From my perspective I find that a practice swing is just that, you are not trying to hit, guide, etc an object.  For me the idea of swinging the club and having the ball just get in the way works most effective.   Also I noticed that most top level golfer’s practice swings are anything but the actual swing in regard to speed (exceptions being the special shot, poor lie, etc.). The slow motion, the 3/4 motion, the exaggerated motion seems to be the preview of what is...
Well if one will accept that Gary Player who for his career has been very conscientious about his fitness/golf fitness, then losing distance as we grow older is enviable.    Granted we can actively slow the process down with exercise and taking care of our bodies, but in reality our DNA is going to define how long, how good, how much we can perform at a certain level.   For those who have incurred health issues as they aged, certainly focusing on regaining what...
If you go by name alone, then a 5 iron in 1960 was a mid iron, so it would be a mid iron today.   If you consider loft and even length, then a 5 iron in 1960 was a mid iron, today by loft your 5 iron is close to being a 3 iron.  The 7 iron of today is the 5 iron of 1960 when it comes to...
The strategy mentioned is similar to mine.  When I play golf, it is me against par.  My appraoch is to first and foremost, Keep the ball in Play.  Next is to create a scoring opportunity. Last is not follow one mistake with another.  If on the tee I know that I can't reach the green in regulation or that I have an even chance of taking the ball out of play, I go with less club, one that positions me for the next shot.  If I am going to lay up on 5 pars, what is the need...