or Connect

Posts by 7 iron

I tied my all-time best 42 on the front 9. More importantly I broke several mental barriers and discovered afew things that will change my game til the day I die. Let me explain... Last week I played in a club tournament and had the good fortune (and honor) of playing with the club teaching pro. We tied for 3rd (field of 19 teams). I won $110. I was able to make some key shots/putts for the team. That made me feel respected and a better player than I am (mental...
I appreciate your "no hybrid" request, because I tend to be more accurate with my 5 iron than my 5 hybrid (more square looking so easier to aim?), but may I add that some of the best golfers in my club (6 to +2 handicappers) use hybrids up to a 3 or 4 and ditch their fairway woods, because with practice they are dead accurate and they just go farther than their similar irons.  Can I talk you into just one hybrid?  Maybe a 16*, 17* or 18*? ;)     I've hit the Rocket...
Like pitching a ball, some have natural talent; some don't. But fundamentals can help go a long way if you don't putt well. To me how you get it there just doesn't matter. Would anyone recommend teaching Mr Palmers style? It was very awkward looking and he slapped the ball (rougher greens understood). He's my hero, but I'd get back spasm putting his way. Some of my best golf friends don't have 6 handicaps because they putt partularly well, they just hit the ball a long...
44 off the back tees. Hit all fairways (unike last time). Parred 3 of 4 of the last holes. Almost birdied a parr 3 hitting the flag stick low with a chip shot. 2 putting mistakes (dumb ones) added 3 to my score. Getting ready for a big tourney in 12 days with big money on the line.
Costco!!! Gorgeous Pebble Beach golf shirts at Costco...$20 bucks!   Very nice shorts for $20 bucks! Khaki color trousers that fit perfectly for $20 bucks!   See a theme here?   Buying at Costco, I look like a million bucks!  Well, maybe 20 bucks....   BTW, balls too!
I prefer to play with other people because I have met some amazing golfers and interesting people that way (like the one who has played almost 1500 courses over his 60 year golfing career).   I also like to play with other golfers, especially better ones, because I like to compete, even if just a friendly game, as it makes me stay focused and play better. However, there have been many times when my golf buddy couldn't play and I've gone it alone.   It is during these...
Broke 90 for the first time in quite a while.  Shot an 89 with pine needles and pine nuts all over the greens!  I posted last week that I want to: Play smarter Stay out of trouble Get good at the short game   What dropped my score by 5 (in spite of the crap all over the greens from the winds) was that I did better at playing smarter and the short game.  I didn't not stay out of trouble well though (lots of shots just off the fairway) and a couple of lies around...
Stay focused
Ooops! You're right! I should read the post date before replying.  Thanks for the reminder.  Do I get a little forgiveness for growing up without computers?  Haha! I like your list btw.
I was trying out some irons at a demo day and frankly was struggling.  Perhaps I was inadvertently speeding up my swing to gain a little more distance from the dead range balls, or that I felt uncomfortable hitting balls under the watchful eye of a manufacturer salesman/fitter.  Finally, he said, "your swing is all about tempo."  I relaxed and went to my "loose and long" easy swing and began hitting the ball well with my familiar slight draw.   I wonder how much better...