or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

I feel like the work on key #4 showed up in a positive way on the course today. It's not where it should be, but I feel like it's closer to being correct and repeatable.   I also think I did a better job of keeping my arms and torso connected, staying on plane and getting my weight forward. Really concentrated on staying in balance through the finish of my swings. Distance was a bit better than usual and had almost exclusive right to left ball flight.    The driver was...
That would have to be my youngest son - even though he's the $@!%^  who got me hooked on this game.   He has such a calm demeanor yet is very serious and respectful towards the game. Always plays by the rules and practices proper course etiquette.   Neither of us are very talented and we don't talk much about mechanics or give one another advice. We debate the importance of the short game versus the full swing, discuss strategy, rules, rag on ourselves and each other,...
While I can't control the flight (altitude) and spin the way you guys can, I started using one club longer on shots 110 yards and in at the beginning of the season. It's far from automatic, but the control is so much better. To give an example, I hit a green from 80 yards recently and was momentarily disappointed that it hit the left side of the green with a right hole location. The distance was right, but on this day in particular, my control had been so good that this...
The one area that I don't put as much thought towards is probably the one I should be thinking about the most - putting. Up until this year, I would really over-think and over-play most slopes. Now I just take a quick read, make a decision on which side of the hole to aim, and go by feel on the speed. On the short putts, it's a fast address and stroke. I definitely don't blow as many short putts as I used to.   On chips and pitches, I take four or five practice swings...
Ok. I see that now after making a few practice swings. Thank you for the information.
Agree with him that crunches and sit ups can be harmful. Disagree with his opinion on stretching. Disagree with him on his opinion that "sucking in" the stomach won't protect my lower back. Although, what he describes as "stiffening" the abs, may be the same thing I do, and it works.    I haven't tried them yet, but his exercises look legitimate. When I used to do leg lifts, I'd put my hands at the base of my spine as he shows in the video and it seemed to make a huge...
I've been experimenting with rolling (for lack of a better word) my right shoulder and upper arm on the downswing to generate more speed to my right forearm, wrist and club head.   It worked so well yesterday that I hit through a dogleg about 40 past my average driver distance. It's a bitch to control, but my hopes are that it will help with direction as well as distance if/when I dial it in. On average, I'm likely getting an extra 10 yards but haven't measured anything...
I've been working on key #4 a lot lately. My question is regarding the hands not the club head. From the top, do my hands follow a straight path down and out to arrive at the correct position at impact (swing towards first base as I was once told)? Or is the path of the hands more of a curve? Again, from the top view.    My results have varied, but it seems like I do better when they pass very tight to where my right hip was. Two things have to happen for this to work....
It didn't show up on the scorecard, but I played some pretty bad golf today. I try to understand what I did wrong on a day like today so I can take corrective action in the form of what to work on during practice while at the same time not overreacting. All signs point to a failure of key #1 which led to a failure of key #2, and so on. I wonder if this is common for other players. Do you get to a point where you feel like you can move on to the next key, only to have a...
I had a situation today that was kind of on the other end of the spectrum. I was behind a threesome of players who didn't really get the concept of ready golf - zig-zagging back and forth like Shriners in a parade and hitting multiple balls while I was waiting on the tee. Never once offered for me to play through.   I get to a par 4 dogleg, wait for them to find all their lost balls and clear the fairway. I finally tee off and walk to my ball. While waiting for them to...