or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

It was hovering just below 50 today and a little rainy when I went out and played a practice round. Actually had to wear long pants and a light jacket.   The good side of a day like today is that hardly anyone else is crazy enough to play. With the exception of a foursome, I had the entire course to myself. In that regard, it will only get better until they shut it down in a couple of months.
No it's not. The first year I started, I had to bust my #@^ to get to the level of bad. It was immediately and painfully obvious how difficult and slow improvement would come. Not everyone is like that though. I mean the game is just as hard for everyone, but there seems to be those who make steady progress. I think part of it is their ability to identify the most damaging weakness or the cause of a bad result  - such as what exactly is causing the shanks -  and working on...
If you can control this, you're ahead of the game IMO. I never get tired of reading this type of thread. I realize I'm not the only one who tries like hell to become better only to take one step forward and two back. We can become so obsessed about improvement and trying to chase an expectation that it becomes easy to forget how enjoyable the game can be - even when we don't play up to our capabilities. Improvement is a huge part of why most of us play the game. I can't...
Yeah, the hooks and pulls are killing my drives and consequently my scores. Seems like such a small margin of error between a hook and a slice. Just came back from the range to specifically work on this. This may sound stupid but I've had success with it... With the alignment rod and club face aligned to the target line, I position the line on the ball slightly right and my feet and body aligned to that slightly right-facing angle. I try to concentrate on the swing path...
Nice! It's a great feeling to finally break that barrier. I hope you continue the success.
 These are exactly the attitudes I'd want to hear from an instructor.  I can only put this in the context of what I do for living, my confidence level and how I wouldn't shy away from an incredible challenge. Even if the outcome were to be criticized by others (which it surely would), think of the experience and knowledge gained. Dream job or horror job? Maybe a bit of both. But other than not being able to fulfill prior commitments, why wouldn't you take this on?
I'm not sure how to take the first part of this (all this time I thought I was a golfer), but I appreciate the advice. I've wanted to learn to re-grip for some time now. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I just ordered the PURE compressor attachment and a set of PURE grips. Both the set and the gun together were less than $50 - maybe because the grips are orange. Thanks for the advice. I don't think there's anyone in this area that'll do it that cheap but you're...
Thanks for the replies.   Most of what I think I know about golf is from reading the posts on this site. Two opinions that seem consistent are that you should try out clubs before you buy them and you should be fitted for them once you've made the decision. Another common opinion is that you should like how they look at address. Yes, I liked the look of them but could say that about most new clubs (especially the Mizunos). And yes, I did want them but I have to be...
I was in a sporting goods store this morning and noticed they had a set of Adams RPM's on clearance for $150. When I casually mentioned this to my wife, she ordered me to go back in and purchase them. I got halfway across the parking lot and decided against it.   Here's my logic... I play with a previously used set of Adams A4's. The grips probably need to be replaced and the faces and soles are becoming beat up. Since working and spinning the ball is above my skill...
I decided the round this past Sunday seemed as good a time as any for a change to my Driver and 3W swings.   Driver: Instead of adjusting the face to compensate for the path (which I had been doing), I decided to start with the club face and my feet aligned to the target line and adjust my path as needed. At first the results were a predictable fade/slice but by making some slight adjustments to the swing path, the shots began to start straight and stay straight. I only...