or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

My point wasn't to be traditional. It was that since there's a club available that will allow me to hit further than any other, I'm going to try and learn how to use it - even if its difficult. As far as the fairway clubs, an easy swing off the fairway will give me considerably more distance than a well struck 5 iron or even a 4 hybrid. That doesn't mean I'd use my 5 wood if I had a downhill lie in the rough, 200 yards from a well protected green. But if I need to get it...
Doesn't your inability to hit the driver well make you want to work at it? This is what I love about the game. One of the reasons I'm not very good may be because I'm too pig-headed to give up when something doesn't come easy. The driver, because of the length and resulting club head speed, is easier to hit a bad shot with and the bad shot usually ends with a worse result. If, for example, you slice with a driver, it's a worse slice than with other clubs. But once you get...
I think this is a legitimate point. Physical limitations are probably why you don't see too many women coaching men at a high level of other sports. I have a question for Phil, Mike or Erik... Is it possible for an instructor - male or female - to be excellent at helping double-bogey students get to the level of bogey or a bit better but perhaps not be as good at getting a single-digit golfer down to scratch? To word it another way, are some instructors less skilled at...
Man, you guys got dumped on. We got about an inch or two in Northern Michigan Friday night but was gone by today. Had the entire course to myself this afternoon (temps in the 40's) but it might be the last weekend of the season.
Was struck by a bolt of common sense today and painfully reminded why I have to continue to work on areas where I've shown improvement.   My iron play the two previous weeks had been encouraging. Didn't practice as much this week and it showed today. Failed miserably on keys 1 and 2 as iron shots were all over the place. Could feel I was off. Not just failure to get weight forward but tempo, timing, concentration...   Last week (9 holes) I hit every full iron shot...
Again, this post is under that assumption that gender had some role in the decision. If that's not the case, you guys can tell me to shut the hell up.   I think if you polled 100 women at a golf course, showed them Bishop's tweet, explained who he was and why he sent it, 50 of them wouldn't care in the least and may even ask "can I get back to playing golf now". If you then took the remaining 50 and asked them their opinions, 25 might say something like "the tweet was...
Will do. I want to develop the draw even though it's less consistent at present. I think the added distance will improve my game more so than the shorter accuracy (at least that's what I read in a pretty good book recently ). Thank you.
 I started playing from a longer set of tees last month and now use my driver for 5 or the 9 holes (before it was used only on the two par 5's). Because of the course design, position of trees, doglegs and such, 4 of those 5 holes favor one shot shape over another in my opinion.   As a necessity, I've developed the ability to "control" the shape - somewhat (relative to my skill level).   The left to right setup results in what's probably more of a slice. It's...
Deer season opens in a couple of weeks. After that, I'll have to get back to cross-country skiing and perhaps ice fishing. I can't just spend the Winter indoors waiting for it to end.   As far as golf, last year I found an indoor simulator nearby and I plan on going there as often as possible. I'm also looking at the possibility of saving up for a new set of irons. Been eyeballing' the Mizuno 825's but I'll probably talk myself out of it.
I don't think it matters whether you and I agree or disagree on whether he meant it as an insult towards women - more than likely most of us agree is was not. The possibility that some people, or more precisely the wrong people perceived it as such may have been what mattered. I may be completely off track and the issue of gender was never even on the minds of the members of the board when they made their decision. Maybe it was purely the fact that he got involved with an...