or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

I'm a bit confused by all of this and it's an issue I encounter almost weekly. It's probably a case of me not being familiar with playing on a course that's super busy.   I walk 18 on a 9 hole course every Sunday morning. This course is very laid back regarding slow play or large groups and there is no starter or marshall. Because I start early, I usually breeze through the first 9. But when my "turn" coincides with someone starting, I've always considered them to have...
The 13th hole at my local course runs parallel to a highway. I've always assumed I'd be held responsible for any automobile damage should I hook one onto traffic. I don't think this because I know anything about the law, it just seems like common sense. I've never really worried about hitting a pedestrian but I would have thought the same common sense applies. Seems like people should be able to walk or drive a public road and not worry about being struck with a golf...
Oddly enough, over the last couple of years I've played with guys who had plenty of distance and skill to play tees further back but still prefer the forward-middle tees.
Course ratings and slope seem inconsistent to me as well. On my course, the white tees are set at 2500, the blues 3000 and the blacks 3340. The difference in my scores between the whites and blues are minimal because from the blues, a few of the fairways open up at my driver distance and the par 3's require a mid iron instead of a wedge (which I'm usually ok with). But the extra yardage between the blues and tips makes a couple of the holes nearly impossible. I suppose it...
Any shot that doesn't directly cost me extra strokes is a good shot.    I do agree that it is more satisfying to hit a solid shot that is slightly offline and results in a nGIR, than a nasty thin shot that somehow makes it on the green.   The one that really gets me is the bladed pitch that's destined to roll way past the green until it hits the flag and leaves me with a makable putt.
Being a poorer player could contribute to slow play - it depends on the type of misses. Chunked and topped shots that go straight don't take that much time as mentioned above. But if you're in the woods or thick rough all day, it really slows you down - even if you're taking just a minute to look.   If you have a two-way miss off the tee it can kill what would otherwise be fast play. You hook your first tee shot and you push your provisional. Now you're going from one...
I guess our perspectives are just different. While there are courses up here as busy as you've described, I'd rather do just about anything else than be part of that cluster#$^&. Most of the time, I have a 2 or 3 hole margin between others - sometimes an entire course. But even that weren't the case, I can't imagine not being able to muster up enough patience to allow extra time for a Dad teaching his daughter the game. Perhaps a busy course is not the place for impatient...
Well, if they are teaching someone the game properly, they'll teach them to let faster players play through - and is usually the case in my experience. Of course you're right that "slow is slow",  but the reasons behind it matter in regards to my attitude. Not everyone is a single-digit player. As long as they're making an effort to play as quickly as their ability allows, I find it far less aggravating.
This.^^ There's a difference between being behind someone teaching their friend or child the game, and a bunch of bros acting like pros or just playing grab-ass on the course - especially since they probably know better and just don't care. It's that attitude of "I payed for this round and I'll play as slow as I want". There have been many instances where I'll simply skip the hole they're on. For what it's worth, I've apologized to players in front of me in case they felt...
I voted his or her business. It's certainly none of mine.   If something good comes from it, that's fine. Other than that, there are bigger issues in the world besides someone famous wanting to change genders. Jesus, we all have issues. I'm not sure why people feel the need to share and I'm even more confused as to why they think we should all accept or be sympathetic towards them.