or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

I don't usually post here, but in an otherwise dismal round of golf today there was one bright spot today.   Teed off on a very short par 5 and sliced the driver into the woods. Drove my provisional down the center of the fairway. That ended up being my 3rd shot as I couldn't find the first. I had a bit over 200 yards to a hidden green and decided to use my 3 wood instead of laying up for my 4th.   Knew it had a chance as soon as it left the club. No side spin, just...
So are they cracking down on golf or government officials who accept bribes in the form of free golf? The article cited some older practices, but it seems as though the sport is growing of late.
Off topic, but I used to love fishing. Now I look at it as time better spent playing golf. Plus, fishing/boating can be every bit as expensive as golf.
I think you're fortunate that your wife likes the game. Mine played once but just wasn't interested going out a second time. My youngest son (who I played with today) is a great golf partner. He is extremely calm regardless of how well or poorly he's playing. HIs attitude is often contagious. My oldest son on the other hand, can hit a 285 yard drive down the middle of the fairway and somehow still gets pissed about it. He claims to have given up the game. We go fishing...
Today was a pretty good test for trying to enjoy a round of golf without worrying (too much) about my score or improvement.   My playing partner was my youngest son who introduced me to the game a few years ago and is my favorite person to play golf with. We played the forward middle tees so, even if I were to score low, it wouldn't have been anything to brag about.   I will spare all the details, but the round began with the worst blow up hole in a long time. While I...
From my little bit of experience, I could make what seemed to be very good practice swings and as soon as I knew I was going to hit a ball, I would do something very different (on video). I almost had to shut my eyes to carry over the practice swing to an actual swing. It's so much easier to talk about than it is to do. I don't know how other folks did it, but it took what seemed to be way too much effort for me to "get over the hump" you've described. It finally came down...
I really like a course where there's some differences between the par 3's with at least one having decent distance. Seems like I use a driver for most of the par 4's and 5's on the couple of courses I play. That usually leaves enough of a variance in second shot distances meaning I'll end up using most of my clubs.
Try to be ok with really poor shot results at first?? Even if you're shanking the ball, if you have confidence that what you're doing is correct, it won't take long for you to start getting better results. In your mind, make what you're working on become more important than initial results - if that makes sense.   Having said that, it is so easy for me to fall back into familiar (bad) habits. I think there's even a current thread about this in "Swing Thoughts".
Lol. I know, I know. Part of me is thinking "stop being such a p@$$^. Get back out there and keep practicing until your fingers bleed!" (which of course they do after hitting in the winter). But seriously, I need to tone it down. It had gotten to the level of an obsession towards the end of last year. I just wanted to see how others dealt with it. As far as your situation, that's tough and I wish you all the luck. As I stated in my original post, I have no excuses.  Thanks...
Seems like if you can get by without a 60 degree it's an easy decision. If you get to the point where you start missing it, you can always switch or  even change the make-up of your bag depending on the course you're playing???   As far as going with a 5 wood or a hybrid, I keep reading where a hybrid is just enough more versatile that more people are gong with that vs a fairway wood. I love my 5 wood but everyone is different. I also don't have the gaps between my long...