or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

Assuming the trees at the tee force me to aim left, slightly open stance, slightly open face 5 wood at the left side of the bunkers. If it fades I should carry the water. If it stays straight I end up in the bunkers but still have a shot at the green. I just need to keep it between a draw and a weak slice and I'll have a decent 2nd shot.
I've only had two partners that I'd classify as annoying, and one who took this to a new level. I finished a round with this guy one week and he asked if I'd be interested in playing the following week. The guy seemed perfectly normal so we exchanged phone numbers (which my wife of course referred to as the start of a blossoming bro-mance). So the next week we met up at the club where he insisted I drive the cart (I prefer to walk but agreed to get a cart at his request)....
I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd look through this one before asking my question.   My last couple of practices have felt like I've had some degree of control. I'm trying to keep the swing simple with the emphasis on key #2. Failing at this seems to be the main cause when my swing goes to #$%%. I think my arms out race the rest of my body - I guess that would be sequencing or timing??? - and I can feel the weight back at impact.   To avoid this,...
I wonder if the trick isn't in learning a good swing but instead learning how to have fun with the level at which we're currently playing. Maybe having confidence with the idea that positive change will eventually come our way.   This is of course easy to preach about but quite another to practice. I like the commercial they're showing on GC where everyone is having fun despite whatever lousy shot they just hit. If only...
Very nice!
I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings Jason? Nothings in a knot on my end, just letting the new guy know he's welcome here.
Don't let these knuckleheads discourage you from posting. With all the stupid #*^ that's posted (some of it by me and the other 3 who responded), I didn't think yours deserved this much crap. There are plenty of other threads/posts which compare golf with other sports on this forum. There is a thread which may be better suited for this question: http://thesandtrap.com/f/11/the-grill-room But seeing as your question did involve golf, it seemed fine here (????). Anyway,...
Sadly, these occur regardless of the length of the course. As hard as it may be to believe this, it isn't the lack of distance that causes my high scores, it's my inability to keep the ball in play. This may be off-topic, but I find course ratings to be inconsistent - probably due to my lack of experience. I do agree however that without anything else to go by, the rating and slope should be a determining factor on which tees to play. If we're able to remove ego from the...
I get the point of both the tee if forward program and the 28x multiplier method. My point was that unless you're brand new to the sport, the course length and how it affects your score and what club you're using for second or third shot, etc. should be pretty obvious. I think if you're unfamiliar with a course or it's busy that day, it's a good rule of thumb. If my goals were to play clubs similar to what the pros play on each shot, and to give myself a snowball's chance...
I'm not sure I need a formula to determine which tees to play from.   I'm a less-than-skilled short hitter and probably couldn't reach - much less make - par 4 greens in regulation from 7000 yards. But the likelihood of a high score wouldn't stop me from playing that distance. The only thing that would matter is the prospect of holding others up.   I took the advice of @vangator last year by "playing it back" and really enjoyed how it changed my course.