or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

Nice story. I can only imagine her telling someone how lucky she was that some nice man happened to come by at the right time... a bright spot in an otherwise crappy day for her. You probably made her day.
 I don't think "hate" is too strong a word when I think what it would be like to play golf year 'round (somehow, "envious" just doesn't cut it). Of course, the hatred is directed at my own decision to move up here.  Then again, there's nothing quite like having the entire course to myself when the weather isn't ideal.
If you only go out when it's sunny and in the 70's.
Until just a few days ago, the 9 hole course I play didn't have a rating or slope. Fortunately, I saved and dated most of my scorecards for the year and now that the course has been rated, was considering keeping track.   I'm obviously a newbie at this so I was hoping someone could help and perhaps offer some advice. I have done some research but there seems to be some discrepancy between sources. Some of the online calculators just average every score instead of using...
Shots that keep us poorer players coming back...   I had a few of these this week with some stopping closer, but I had time to snap a photo of this one.   135 yard second shot, elevated green, center hole location. I used an easy 7 iron so it got a bit more roll. I don't know how many feet - maybe 12-15. I was just happy with the GIR and probability of getting par, but I sank the long putt and got a birdie, two things that happen far too infrequently.
I think this can be true with just about any sport - even sprinting and powerlifting involve some level of technique. I've seen this posted before and I have to believe it's true. But don't better golfers not only have better swings, but better capabilities to reduce the poor shots? Or do you think it's entirely in the mechanics? For the record, I wasn't talking about hitting a Major League curve or returning a serve from a professional tennis player. That would be...
Understood and thank you both for the feedback. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.
Erik, You've probably played golf most of your life, taught hundreds(?) of students with great results, had countless conversations with other pros about teaching techniques, and golf instruction is your livelihood. I've played for about 3 years, taken lessons from exactly two instructors and golf is a hobby to me (a far too serious one but a hobby none the less). My point being that my opinion doesn't hold much water compared to yours. But our definition of "bad"...
Maybe my definition of "athlete" isn't accurate, but I still think it's more than just being fast and/or strong. IMO, there are so many other intangibles. Isn't the ability to mentally focus a big part of athletics? How about being able to generate greater power with the most efficient amount of effort? Getting your body to do virtually the same motion with very little margin of error for 18 holes. To me, that's incredible athleticism. As far as the ball sitting still in...
I agree with you that it's significant. And I can think of exactly 5 things that, if mastered one at a time, would help fix a lot of flaws. The Evolvr guys are world-class in my opinion. To expect that level of knowledge, experience and skill from a younger local pro is a bit much. In addition, I came in for one lesson - not a series of ten, five or even three. When he saw me take a few swings, it was probably like he'd witnessed a train wreck. How do you think he should...