or Connect

Posts by JonMA1

As far as practice is concerned, I agree it's academic. Since I don't play in leagues or play for money, every round is practice. What I started doing the last couple of months of the season was to move back from shorter men's tees to the middle tees. That forced me to use my driver on almost all par 4s and 5s. My scores suffered but it allowed me to get a bit better with that club - in distance and accuracy. I don't know how anyone can argue this, but I don't think it's...
It could be a combination of the simulator adding unrealistic roll, the temps, and my swing being off as I am working on some changes. Anyway, the simulator is fun and there is some benefit. I didn't mean to make it sound like I expected a great deal of improvement. By the start of the season, I just want consistent distances - an extra 10 yards would be nice - but consistent would be better.
I believe they are "Trugolf" simulators. They use E6 software anyway. Yes, those numbers include roll.  You're exactly right about the ground I'm hitting into being very soft. While I can't see them land (my view is obscured by trees), I don't think they get more than a few yards of roll. The temps have been in the low 40's. But still... When I posted an additional 20 yards of distance at the simulator, that was very conservative. I'm not a long hitter. Towards the end of...
 Just wanted to follow up on my previous post. I call BS on the simulator. All the snow melted this weekend and I was able to hit outside into field next to my house. Using Google maps, I measured my shots and discovered there wasn't any gain in distances. So either my swing has reverted since last week or the simulator was off. All this means is that I can't trust anything but what I see. The simulator is fun and I'll keep using it through the winter, but not as a tool to...
 If you read LSW or the thread about practice ratios, the problems with your short game as you’ve described them may be a weakness - relative to the rest of your game. And they (the authors or LSW), would likely suggest you devote a bit more time to it. If you’re getting distances close to those of your physical capabilities and keeping them straight, you would not only be the exception to someone at your handicap level, but an exception perhaps to most amateurs. In other...
Very impressive practice - exactly what I take as the meaning of the 5 "S's". Wish I had your patience and discipline.   The swing looks good (from what I know), especially the sequencing of the lower body starting to shift before you complete the backswing. Very little head movement from start to finish - laterally or up and down.   How do you know when it's time to increase the speed or your practice swings? Do you make that decision or does your instructor?
Did you notice the guy looking around before he even took the putt? What's worse... losing it and tearing up a green or pretending to lose it and tearing up a green?    Staged or not, the guy did some damage (would have been worse if he didn't miss twice). If I owned the golf course and recognized this dickhead on youtube, I'd make him pay for the repair.    Golf courses require so much time and money to maintain. On most you can tell that the greenskeepers take a...
 That's what I like about you Lihu - always the optimist. Thanks, those types of comments really are encouraging. I agree. Everyone in this thread who puts in the effort will eventually work their way to lower scores.
It's hard for me to have much certainty with this because last year was bit of failure in terms of momentum. But as far as what I think will improve my game the most, it's simply learning proper mechanics of a full swing. The distance vs accuracy debate really isn't much of a debate in my mind. As some have pointed out, a technically sound swing will provide both. As far as striving for tour-like distances, that's not in my future. At 54, that ship has sailed. But I still...
No, I didn't take it as anything negative.   I understood your point and I completely agree. If breaking 100 were as easy as changing clubs, this thread wouldn't exist. There seems to be a lot of folks who play far better with their irons than their driver and woods. I'm just not one of them (I suck at both). My point was that if I was, I'd still prefer to sacrifice lower scores now in order to improve with the clubs that might provide better scores in the next couple of...