or Connect

Posts by Watermark

Ah-ha! That makes more sense to me, but I wonder why I've been told otherwise by so many sales people? Very weird. I knew in my heart the second I heard it that it didn't sound quite right, and it seemed to be confirmed when I tried out a couple of display putters - I felt way more comfortable with a couple of Odyssey putters as long as 38"-39" than I did with any of the standard length (32"-33") putters made by others.    Oh well! Sounds like I'll need to take my three...
And frankly, that raises yet another key question that I forgot to ask earlier . . .   If a guy's irons are all supposed to be custom fitted with respect to length, shouldn't his wedges also be custom fitted for added length? I'm being told 'no' by virtually everyone I've asked. In fact, I've been told repeatedly that regardless of their skill level or their personal dimensions/measurements, most players simply buy standard length wedges right off the shelf, but...
Thanks SolarBear.   Yes, I'm definitely learning a lot in this process and enjoying it all too! My wife often tells me that I tend to enjoy the 'hunt' more than the goal or the endpoint, and I think she's probably right on that score. I do enjoy the pre-purchase research that goes into such an adventure, and there's no doubt that it can yield some dividends. When I was a younger man, I didn't bother to put much research into things before I bought them, and as a...
Mmmm, I can't really tell you with any degree of certainty which of your two 'categories' I might belong in (?), but I can say with confidence that I'm not inclined to be obsessive or "frustrated" by any of it. There's simply no fun in that for me, and I won't ever let it get to that either. I don't have any aspirations to turn pro, no real edgy or competitive spirit, no launching of clubs out into the airspace - I just wanna have some fun out there. I hope that...
Thanks everyone.   I know its starting to sound like a broken record, but it really is a quandary, because the experienced golfers among you are absolutely correct when you suggest getting an entry-level iron. That advice simply cannot be wrong for all of the great reasons already mentioned. And yet, as a beginner who hits most irons reasonably well and a driver really well, if I were to purchase a set of GI- or intermediate-level irons, I've either gotta learn to...
Excellent - thanks for the reference (and link) BostonBrew.   Unfortunately, as you've said, the description of the physics behind it all is a bit brief in that video, but I think I get the gist of it. If I understand it right, they appear to be saying that beginners routinely mis-hit the ball (which is certainly true), and that the bulk of those mis-hits are concentrated in the 'toe' region of the club, somehow causing fully forged muscle-back type irons to tweek or...
O.K., so just to make sure, do I have this right . . .    SGI = Beginner (Entry-Level) GI = Intermediate P (Player) = Advanced (Semi-Pro/Pro)   Also, could someone please clarify something for me? Why is it that the hollow or so-called "cavity-backed" irons are recommended for beginners rather than the solid-backed or muscle-backed" irons? What is it about the hollow-backed design and its physical or performance attributes that is structurally conducive to...
Thanks Buki!   By the way, my apologies for not thanking you previously for your earlier and nicely detailed post - it was quite helpful. Its been particularly hectic here today, but I have a number of comments relative to yours, so I'll try to respond properly tomorrow. Until then, thanks for your patience. ;-)
Thanks SolarBear.   I see these terms "GI" and "SGI" bantered about all the time, and after a while, I figured out just what they actually mean, but in my travels to the local golf shops, I've honestly seen no mention of these terms or any correlation of them with specifics sets (or makes) of clubs (I don't know if I've simply missed it or what?). So I don't really know how best to use them in a shopping context. I like the look and feel of the MP-64s, but I'm...
Yup, many thanks Mordan! Word-for-word, what you've said here makes plenty of sense. I guess I need to rethink things and perhaps reshape my introductory conversations with sales people by asking "where are the better beginner's clubs" as opposed to "where's the best clubs". Thanks again for the guidance. I should have a full and complete (better) fitting behind me by the weekend, which will help a lot, and then I'll proceed from there with the better beginners-grade...