or Connect

Posts by thefinlex

Agree with above and wonder......are you having fun?? if your enjoying yourself it easier to do just about anything! if your finding it a chore then maybe step back,invite a good buddy or even your Dad for a bounce game away from all the "pressure" you feel just now,someone who shoots what you do and go to a nice easy "fun" course and give each other a bit of stick,some fun banter and get back to the simple joy of flushing an iron or rolling in an 8ft putt form your...
I want it out every time,then I can focus on nothing but trying to hole it,its a confidence thing particularly in matchplay when your opponent stands next to flag and asks "in or out? tended?" I always say firmly "out thanks" so we both know I'm trying to bury it!!
Whenever my best mates Dad visits we play a 3ball for beers and laughs.Played a 9 holer one afternoon over a few beers and the 6th on this course was elevated 125 yd par 3,tee maybe 40 feet above green.Its surrounded by trees and a very picturesque hole.Id had a scrubby hole on the 5th so was last to tee off,both other shots sitting on green,nothing special but good looks at birdie when my effort with PW is carved into the trees on the right to much...
maybe watch a few vids of good ol slammin Sam Snead? just a thought but for me in my practice and warm ups i like to stop at the  top of b'swing...try to simulate a "squat" Snead style and then fire thru to finish.It just gets you moving in sequence nicely as a warm up and gets you in the mood for the "firing" move you talk about with the hips always leading the way without overemphasising ? the movement into a slide..good luck,works for me and certainly did for Sam!
Loving this thread.Interested no one really talking about practising specific to their home course and prevailing conditions....I play on a firm fast right! on the water links all year round and the wind is a massive factor in scoring opportunities and also helps to keep the greens quick and challenging particularly from above the hole!!.As a result I have plenty of practice on and around the greens as they can be nigh on impossible to stay on if you do hit them so...
well maybe not a tip but an idea.....as you are gripping further down the shaft the grip will be thinner and may be encouraging you to be a bit more "handsy" thru the ball and turning them over...?  just a thought as i have recently regripped my irons and added an extra layer of tape to try and stop me getting to hooky...good luck!
can you not practice at your home course? get there a little earlier/stay later? If it doesn't have a short game area or ground you can practice on maybe play a few evening rnds of just 9 holes when the course isn't busy and when you get to every green drop another ball in a different area/lie to where your first one landed and use a different club for each situation. I find this helps me "see" a shot better and use your imagination a bit more so you can improve feel...
I play quite a bit of golf solo.I'm very lucky in that from my house its a 10 min stroll along the beach to my home course so when the bug bites I can nip down and play a handful of holes just to keep my hand in.Its a seaside links course in the traditional out and in layout so i just play 5 or 6 holes out and then walk across to the adjacent inward tee and play back in as the 9th is the farthest point from clubhouse and while i love dropping a few balls here and there...
for me its putting all day long,in my youth I held down a 10 h'cap quite happily while flirting with single figures but now after life happened......... travel,work,wife and kids am at 14.The reason? its my driving! I spend most of my round getting out of the trouble my driver puts me in with my usually hot putter!! have recently been custom fitted for new driver so hopefully things will change soon and my scoring can reflect my general play and not my scrambling ability...
Certainly what has helped me and continues to do so is the "swingyde".Its that little yellow plastic thing i'm sure you've seen around the traps.In any case i keep an old 7 iron around the house with one attached to it and just pick it up at least once a day and make a few practice swings with it.Its just reinforcing muscle memory of where you should be in terms of wrist hinge and takeaway and has helped me no end.Its pretty simple and a great visual as well as physical...