or Connect

Posts by Moppy

I think courses are so different and people's experiences are so different because of that, that comparing them is almost pointless. Everybody immediately brings to mind whatever steamed them from their last outing and pastes that thought to anybody who remotely resembles that person in a post.  I don't like being rushed over a putt and I have decided I won't be. I agree with iacas, take care of the key things in playing quickly, and keep pace in mind when navigating the...
  That's a valid point. Anybody who starts reading the green only when it is their turn to putt qualifies as "oblivious."
If I have a two foot putt at a right angle to the fall line of the hole, a bendy one, I am not going to take it as a gimmie unless I have already putted three times, then I pick it up no matter what. Neither am I going to whack at it to straighten "with authority" because I hate missing and ending up further from the hole. I am going to take my time putting it if I am going to putt it. Sorry. I don't waste time so I don't have to rush.  If you are pushing up from behind me...
I agree with not looking for balls over a minute, even if the rule is five minutes, in casual play. There I said it, screw the ROG!  I write a ball off quick it if it doesn't look like I am going to find it. But I have been starting to keep a handicap, so now it gets complicated. Maybe not wanting to take those lost ball penalties in casual rounds because people are keeping handicaps slows play? Naah! Maybe if the course is busy, the round should be declared a practice...
 That's pretty insulting David. I pick up after three putts, whatever it is. I am just not going to be rushed when putting. If your problem is that there are high handicappers on the course who you feel like are slowing you down, and they should just whack at their shots and move on, why not just say it?  I just don't think that that is golf.
 Sorry, but one of the most fun things about golf to me are must make putts. Even short ones. If you are taking care of business on the rest of the course, there is time to putt "chalantly." 
My experience in playing with slow partners is that obliviousness is the primary cause. That and the occasional ball hunter. 
I spent the winter months putting on a mat at least twenty balls a day 'til I got completely bored of it because it got too easy. First I couldn't hit more than half from three feet, until I improved to the point where I started aiming at different sides of the cup from 7 feet to make it interesting.  Now I just putt one or two balls when I pass the room with the putting mat laid out to keep the feel of the stroke. I never miss a straight putt on the mat from 7 ft anymore....
D'oh! Parred the first hole, a par four, then proceeded over the next 8 to shoot a 62!  I putted fine. One three putt. But between one overshot green into a steep uphill bank that led to a disaster than lasted into the next hole where it took three shots to get past the red tees I flushed six shots down the crapper.    Still, I have some stuff to take to the range tomorrow to work on. 108 in my last 18 holes. I can break a hundred, I know it.
I play nine walking in the evening. It takes about two hours so if I start at quarter after six, I am done by sundown. There is never anybody there so I don't hurry and after I finish a hole, I practice chipping and the putts if I totally misread the green or something. Two balls is just too much walking for me. It is bad enough chasing down a provisional when you find your ball. But since I bought a membership walking is free. I guess if I paid for a cart, I could play...