or Connect

Posts by Birdman10687

Not saying I agree or disagree with your theories, but I would say by the same token many people in this thread must play at courses with bizarrely easy greens.  Stuff like "even bad putters will only 3 putt from the fringe 1/3 of the time."  I think people really exaggerate how poorly things can go around the green.  As if getting the ball close to the hole means "well even someone who has never played golf before can get it into the hole in 4 strokes if they are...
Sorry if it came across as a rant.  I didn't mean it to.  I love reading iacas's posts--they are always really really well thought out and in depth.  So when I respond and share a different opinion, I likewise want to give it the level of effort he did.  And I am by no means trying to say anyone is wrong or anything, I just wanted to give my impression and see what iacas thought since perhaps I am misunderstanding his point of view.  
I'm not sure I 100% agree with this mantra.  At the very least, this advice may not be good for everyone, and possibly good for no one.  I may be misunderstanding the intent of the post, but it kind of sounds like you are saying its better to just incorporate key changes into your swing and move on than to understand the reasoning behind that change.  One thing I have found over the years, and this isn't just with golf, but with anything, is understanding why means you...
Basically I find that golf is like a lot of other things--take the time to learn ettiquette and learn how make golf enjoyable for everyone using the course.  I usually judge people by how the act on a golf course, not how well the play.  This would be stuff like repairing ball marks.  I don't care how bad you are, but if you don't repair your ball mark, it damages the green which affects other people.  If you are terribly and take huge chunking divots (or even if you...
One of the confusions occurring in this thread is correlating Dan's outcome with the discussion about whether you can be born with innate ability.  Some people clearly feel strongly that innate ability does exist (to the point of mocking opposing viewpoints) but that is only part of the discussion regarding Dan's plan.   I tend to think innate talent doesn't exist, but even so, I do not think Dan will succeed for a few reasons:   -He is too old.  It is much...
    Your comments regarding Mozart seem to be a common misconception.  Mozart was indeed composing at the age of 5, but it was far from world class music.  Mozart was an undeniably talented musician, but he was being tutored by his father from an extremely early age.  He is often cited as an example that natural talent exist.  However, the issue is most fail to correctly estimate how much musical exposure and practice Mozart had by the age of five thanks to having an...
This is such an absurdist argument.  There is a biological explanation for the way skill is formed.  There are cells in the brain called oligodendrocytes that insulate nerve fibers with myelin.  This insulation allows for sequences of neurons to fire more rapidly and efficiently.  Oligodendrocytes, when targeting which pathways to insulate with myelin, choose the neurons that fire most often.  So any action you engage in--swinging a golf club, thinking about a chess...
  You know Bruce Harmon is his swing coach, right?
Yeah and most of those people didn't practice anywhere near as much as Tiger Woods.  There are also thousands upon thousands of people who took up chess at the age of 8 just like Bobby Fisher and probably played a lot when they were younger.  Perhaps they even had dreams of being a grand master.  But what didn't they have?  They lacked what Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, and Bobby Fisher all had.  The obsessive, pathological drive to be the best and to win.  That drive...
  It isn't about age at all.  Its about the amount of time they spent practicing.  And choosing as your cut-off the best ~250 golfers amid hundreds of thousands that play the game and saying if you can't make it to the top 250 or whatever that proves that your weren't "born" talented because you spent 10k hours practicing but weren't good enough is absurd.  If you had someone spend 10k hours practicing golf and they weren't any good at all you might have an argument.  But...