or Connect

Posts by ChrisP

I would only because nobody else that was part of the Captain's pick consideration had done anything this past year worthy of being selected. Which is kind of my point. Show me who should be picked over Westwood? I haven't seen one guy mentioned that has a case over him. You can't make a strong case for anyone. If Molinari and Jiminez and Donald were playing hot golf the last few months, I'd change my tune some...but they haven't been. And while they're not top-5s,...
 Okay Molinari. Hasn't won a tournament in over 2 years. No top-3 finishes all year ( a couple top-5s). Two previous Ryder Cups in which his record is a combined 0-4-2. Before the Ryder Cup selection, he went 10 straight tournaments without a Top-10. Jiminez. Since the US Open he has 4 missed cuts in 7 events, including the cuts in 3 straight majors. He's over 50 years old, which is an issue since you have two matches a day and whenever you make a captain's pick, the first...
 So if you were the captain, who would you have chosen over Westwood? Who was playing so great at the end of the year and contended in the majors and provided experience to the team that they should have been given a look? And don't tell me majors don't mean anything...they mean a hell of a lot.
 I personally think the points system in Europe is stupid because a lot of Europe's best players (such as Westwood and McDowell) play most of their golf in the US now. I honestly think they should use more of a President's Cup system where it goes by World Rankings and factor in some of the big European events such as the BMW and Abu Dhabi into the equation. But that's just my 2 cents. Joost Luiten was 17th among Europeans at the time of selection on the World Rankings...
 Darn right it's experience, and it's a lot of experience. It's also the ability to play well in a big event, and Westwood played well at the PGA, the last big tournament before the Pick Selection. Same goes for Phil Mickelson. Let's pretend he had done nothing all year but put up that 2nd at the PGA and still hadn't qualified on points----you can bet he would have been a Captain's pick. Same with Tiger. Some guys get preferential treatment over others, whether you like it...
 So many players? Come on. Outside of Gallacher, none of the realistic captain's players were playing well. Donald was playing like garbage. Molinari was cold. Jiminez was cold. I know you're going to say Luiten, but the guy wasn't even ranked in the top 50 in the world when the picks came around and I don't even think was on McGinley's short list. He hadn't won in a year and that was in a weak field. Westwood had played well at the PGA, a major championship, and has a lot...
Scott did ascend to the #1 player in the world, won a Masters and contended for numerous major championships under Stevie. Before Stevie, Adam wasn't contending in any majors. So like or hate Stevie, you have to give credit where credit is due. He's a heck of a caddie. I still think Tiger would have been better off keeping him, but at the same time, I know a lot went on privately that none of us are very aware of that probably caused that divorce.
ZJ +2, Bradley +3, Kuchar +4, Simpson +5, Mahan +6, Reed +7, Phil WD. If you're Captain Watson, you can't like what you're seeing this week, especially given that McIlroy, Garcia, Kaymer, Stenson, Donaldson and Dubuisson are all having very solid performances in their respective tournaments.  Going in with confidence is a big key. Right now we only have a few that are playing really well.
He may be a jerk in person, but he's a hell of a caddy on the course. I think Tiger should have hung on to him....but that's a whole other story that's been beaten to death. But congrats to him.
Webb +3. Mahan +5. Reed +6. Meanwhile, McIlroy, Kaymer and Rose are rolling. And people wonder why we are such big underdogs at the end of the month.