or Connect

Posts by muttbag

Shot a 100 at Oak Hollow Golf Course in Mckinney, TX.  Didn't do myself any favors by doing a P90X 'Chest & Back' workout the day before, I was very sore and tight.  Had trouble on the range finishing shots, so I really had to stretch before the round.  Played decent off the tee box and never got into any trouble I couldn't get myself out of.  Tried to play smarter golf today, took a 4i off the tee instead of my usual driver to play a layup shot on a hole that has a...
That's highly possible!  I've never really focused on it until recently.  I went to New Mexico on business and played golf every afternoon for 4 days straight, trying to break in some new irons I had just bought.  I shanked probably 9 out of 10 iron shots every day and could NOT hit the ball, my head was a mess.  Finally on the last day I played, one of the older guys I played with told me that I was keeping my weight on my left foot during my swing, and that I should keep...
I've never used that method, but I'm starting to realize I don't have an orthodox chipping style.  A good buddy of mine has tried to get me to position my hands forward when chipping, so that my club is at an angle, to get more roll out of my shots.  They may not make sense the way I described it, but the point is, I don't think I'm necessarily doing it the 'right' way.  That said, chipping is one of the best areas of my game.  
I hit the range yesterday for the first time in a month.  I had an excellent range session, they were flying long and straight (with the occasional diff).  I started getting tired when I got to the bottom of that huge bucket of balls, and I began making mistakes and either topping or shanking the ball.  I finally found an exercise that helped me recover from this.  After the 2nd or 3rd straight mishit, I will pull out my A or P wedge, take a group of balls, and start out...
Played 9 holes last week and shot a 43.  I had a streak of (3) pars in a row, my remaining totals were (3) bogeys, (1) double, (1) triple.  Overall, my ball striking was solid, with the exception of two shots that were badly mishit.  My putting failed me and my score shows it, but I finally consistently hit my driver and irons.  I averaged 280 off the tee, but my irons were longer than usual on almost every shot.  I was hitting my pitching wedge between 135-140, which is...
I enjoy playing alone, occasionally.  I usually will catch up to a group of 3 or 4, but I stay back, pull more balls from my bag and hit extra shots until they advance.  I enjoy working on my game on the actual course (provided that there's no one behind me that I hold up) instead of relying on practicing at the driving range only.  Also, even if the pace of play is normal, I still enjoy leaving the office and getting at least 9 holes in about once a week.  I'll either...
Why discuss distance on any clubs then? There was much ado about driver distance perception vs reality in the forum, so I thought it would be a nice exercise. Many people take exception to the fact that driver distances are discussed in detail, for whatever reason. Seems simple to me. If you're not interested in the exercise or discussion, move on to another thread. There are plenty.
Interesting field test. I've finally managed to drive the fairway somewhat consistently with a few changes to my swing. I wanted to compare my new swing to the balls out, swing out of your shoes, clubhead speed demon Bubba Watson swing. I was stuck behind a group and hit an extra ball off the tee. New and improved swing: Bubba Watson grip and rip swing: I felt both were crushed. My normal swing carried further. The 'big swing' had the classic long ball lift, where...
I've been tracking my drives and also irons to gauge accurate distance. Lately I've been averaging 270 yards off the tee. I've had some in the 280's and two in the 290's, but I was swinging at the top of my register there. The majority of my drives are either staying in the fairway or going slightly in the rough on either side, but toning my swing down and keeping my left arm straight has yielded excellent results. I can hit the ball 300 yards, but I have to really go for...
  Clubs made all the difference in the world to me.  I upgraded from a set of cheap irons to TaylorMade Burner Plus 4 - Gap, and I'm hitting every iron shot 15 - 20 yards further.  I've also seen a couple of people comment on here that the lofts are a little more generous on these particular irons, which would make sense.  In all reality, my 5i is probably equal to someone else's 4i.  Nonetheless, I still play with guys that are a club ahead of me.  I pull a 5i, they pull...