or Connect

Posts by marklemcd

Hi.  This is just one guy's opinion.  I did golftec from Jan-Jun of 2013.  When I started my index was 27, when I ended with them it was 19 and my best round had gone from 98 to 85.  I stopped going because my wife was pregnant and I had other things going on.     I thought golftec was great....or rather the teacher I had combined with the technology was great.  If the teach sucks then I am sure the whole experience will suck.  What I liked about it was instant feedback...
Had a kid in mid November and thus haven't played in forever.  Got out for the first time in a while last weekend and felt a bit rusty.  One thing I've been able to do is use an indoor facility near my work for 25-30 minutes once a week or so, and that seemed to help.  I shot better than my handicap with a 91 (handicap is 21) which is a differential of about 19 on the course.  That felt good.     I shot 44 on the front and 47 on the back.  Generally I struck the ball...
First, I am not going to be able to take lessons due to time and expense not really fitting the family priority right now.   So that said, I really like what I've read about Stack and Tilt and if I wanted to start to teach it to myself, what would be the first element of the new swing to work on?  I know the book has instructions, but I'm wondering what people who have done it would say?
My advice:  Stop worrying about your handicap and focus on hitting the ball well consistently.  We have the same handicap, I used to focus obsessively on each revision, it doesn't help.   Yesterday I played and shot 97, I am not happy with a 97.  At the same time I'm working on ensuring I'm in the right posture at address, that's a weakness of mine.  When I'm not in the right posture I chunk a lot and lose distance on everything.  Well, despite the score yesterday I...
I have had this same problem, but I found that the more warm up I would do the worse it would be.  I think what used to happen is I'd hit balls before and then all my flaws would get in my head.  So now I hit maybe 10 balls with my 9 iron just to loosen up and then do maybe 3-4 with my driver just to get a full range of motion.  After that I chip a few and then putt a few just to get a feel.  Then I play.   Now, I'm not a great golfer so take that for what it's worth,...
I'm working on learning what parallel left really feels like.  The reason I'm working on this is when I go to a lesson and am aimed and aligned correctly I hit the ball cleanly and have a much more consistent swing.  When I go to the range on my own I notice that I hit the ball all over the place.  On my last trip to the range I had a guy video a couple swings from behind and I noticed I was really inconsistent in my alignment, often with my clubface square to the target...
 This is good advice, and something I'm going to work on implementing this weekend when I play with my usual group.  It's cliche to think one shot at a time, but in essence that's what you seem to be saying...
 The nice thing about not being a super long hitter is that it's very rare that I can go for a par 5 in two.  But that said I used to do like you and try to get as close as I could but also like you learned that is sometimes a fools errand.  Now I always try to set my 3rd shot up to be a 9 iron to the green as that's my favorite club to hit.  Lots more pars on par 5s doing that.
My bag: Driver 3 wood 3 hybrid 5 hybrid 4 iron 5 iron 6 iron 7 iron 8 iron 9 iron PW GW SW Putter   I like having the 5 hybrid and 5 iron even though the go about the same distance.  I prefer the 5 iron on a par 3 off the tee or if I need to approach a green from 170 out. I like the hybrid 5 from the rough on a par 5 if I want the ball to go about 170 but don't mind some roll out.  I don't like the 5 hybrid approaching a green due to said roll out.
Hi everyone, this is the first thread I've started.  Given where my game is right now I generally try to play bogey golf.  Or rather, I'm always on the tee box thinking of par but I'm happy with a bogey most holes and I try to manage the course to keep the blow ups out of play.    Given that, I know I'm capable of runs where I put together good golf, and they tend to happen when my concentration seems locked in.  For example, I usually miss right by pushing (not slicing)...